Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 11:44 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,512,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indurain View Post
Americans should be obsessed with obesity.
Fat chance of THAT ever happening.....
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 12:01 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,718,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I dont have a problem with race or diversity as long as YOU GET WITH THE CULTURE of the country you reside in.
Could you elaborate on this American culture? Besides, diversity would include racial and ethnic diversity. You don't pick and choose per your whim.

Quote:
My parents are from India and ***** and moan about how much nicer it is there... . A country that is full of people loyal to other countries is a country that is about to fall apart.
There is NOTHING wrong with appreciating good things in other societies and cultures, and staying away from their bad. It certainly is not synonymous with being loyal to other countries, as much as it is willingness to look at our own flaws and working to eliminate them. You can't do that with the attitude... I'm always right and this is exactly how things should be.

Quote:
Oh and PS-BEFORE you come to this country, LEARN ENGLISH.
And more importantly, grammar.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Could you elaborate on this American culture? Besides, diversity would include racial and ethnic diversity. You don't pick and choose per your whim.

Unfortunately, that's exactly true.....REAL diversity, as you say, would, by definition include 'everything'....the good, the bad....the sensible, the ludicrous....the appropriate, as well as the inappropriate....the hurtful, as well as the beneficial.

Obviously, most of us don't REALLY advocate "true" diversity, and that's where the problem lies. We want to 'include' what we want to include, and we want to exclude the other guy's wish list. We do, in fact, wish to 'pick and choose per our whim'....and if your whim is different from my whim,(and if each of our whims is different from another person's) we'll have an argument. We'll have to agree on limits. And when we have limits, we don't have true diversity. If we had true diversity, we'd have chaos.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:31 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,718,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Unfortunately, that's exactly true.....REAL diversity, as you say, would, by definition include 'everything'....the good, the bad....the sensible, the ludicrous....the appropriate, as well as the inappropriate....the hurtful, as well as the beneficial.

Obviously, most of us don't REALLY advocate "true" diversity, and that's where the problem lies. We want to 'include' what we want to include, and we want to exclude the other guy's wish list. We do, in fact, wish to 'pick and choose per our whim'....and if your whim is different from my whim,(and if each of our whims is different from another person's) we'll have an argument. We'll have to agree on limits. And when we have limits, we don't have true diversity. If we had true diversity, we'd have chaos.
You live scared. Don't! We are already a more diverse bunch than you can imagine.

When you start picking and choosing, all you're doing is being nosy in others' affairs. Live and let live. All men are created equal... believing in it doesn't make one obsessed with diversity, BTW.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:45 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,540,586 times
Quote:

There is NOTHING wrong with appreciating good things in other societies and cultures, and staying away from their bad. It certainly is not synonymous with being loyal to other countries, as much as it is willingness to look at our own flaws and working to eliminate them. You can't do that with the attitude... I'm always right and this is exactly how things should be.

And more importantly, grammar.
American culture? American culture is where we all strive to do the best we can to remain the glorious nation we are. American culture is taking time to learn the history of this country we call home. American culture is being proud of your country and appreciating that we aren't having genocides and that we are in a much better shape than other countries as well. It is about being UNITED for THIS COUNTRIES well-being instead of clinging on to whatever country you can from.

I not picking or choosing. Can you state where I am picking or choosing? I have stated that race/skin color/religion/whatever does not matter. What DOES bother me is coming here and expecting us to conform to what your country was. Sorry pal. It simply isn't happening...or shouldn't be. Why the heck am I hearing my parents and grandparents constantly putting down Canada (another glorious nation might I add) and the USA WHEN THEY LIVE HERE? In fact they have lived in Canada and USA LONGER than they did in India. Yet, EVERY TIME they get together with friends or family, it is nonstop "Oh in India this was better or that was better. We had morals in India". Shut up and leave if you hate it.

You can keep your culture and religious rituals. No problem. THAT is what America is all about. You can follow Islam, Christianity, Sikhism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Wiccanism....whatever. It is VERY beautiful and precious. I just hate the Anti Americanism most immigrants portray as of late. Immigrants that immigrant these days (not all of them of course) have been so disgustingly rude. They have no desire to show respect to our country, our landmarks (White House, etc etc), our Constitution, LEARN ENGLISH (my biggest pet peeve), or our history. They just wanna come here, make money, complain...complain....complain.....complain...and hold on to their anti Western or US/Canada feelings.

Signed-
The INDIAN DAUGHTER of immigrants.

I LOVE THE RED, WHITE AND BLUE.

Thank you.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:27 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,690,660 times
I don't know about obsession but I want my kid exposed to as many cultures as possible because we live in a small world. I think by the time my kid is old enough to enter the world by himself he will be dealing with virtually every culture on the planet. Not everyone shares our world view and I think at the very least he will end to understand where other cultures are coming from and how they see the world. I think ultimatley it will give him a competitive advantage.

On a more basic level I think it is very interesting to understand other people. It is very easy and not very challenging to spend and infinate amount of time with people just like me. I think I understand myself pretty well. I am interested in other people.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
You live scared. Don't! We are already a more diverse bunch than you can imagine.

When you start picking and choosing, all you're doing is being nosy in others' affairs. Live and let live. All men are created equal... believing in it doesn't make one obsessed with diversity, BTW.
I'm not neccessarily disagreeing with you...more like playing 'Devil's advocate'. As a matter of fact, I agree with much of what you say. I DO think we're 'already' quite diverse, just as you say....CERTAINLY more diverse than most societies. I DO think that 'all men are created equal'...(it's just that I'm not at all sure that everyone ELSE feels that way).

We DO pick and choose....all of us. If we didn't, we'd have chaos. We want the 'good' from elsewhere, without importing the 'bad'....or at least that's what we SHOULD be striving for. We want the cuisine, the music, the art, the 'ideas' from distant places, without neccessarily wanting to embrace the tribal hatreds, the xenophobia, the revenge, the religious intolerance,the misogyny, the cannibalism, the 'honor killings', etc etc ec etc. In making such distinctions, we are, in fact, "picking and choosing". We're announcing our right to discriminate by choosing to import SOME features of "other" cultures, without importing that culture wholesale.

I'm not living 'scared'...simply being realistic. I can enjoy the parts of any foreign culture I choose...(including the culture of my own ancestors), while at the same time refusing to accept the 'bad' of those cultures. In so doing, I'm picking and choosing; I'm limiting the definition of 'diversity', from 'absolute diversity', to what might be called 'partial diversity'.

My guess is that you probably do the same thing, as would any rational person.

When we 'strive' for diversity and multiculturalism, it might be wise to occasionally ask ourselves, "while I'm embracing THAT group, and extending myself to include THEM, how can I neccessarily be sure that they want to embrace ME, or include ME?". Often, I'm afraid that SOME of our efforts in the matter of multiculturalism are pretty much one-sided, and that in some cases, we end up trying to 'tolerate' the intolerant. It takes "two" to get along.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:17 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,329,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Fat chance of THAT ever happening.....
Great choice of words!

Old 03-18-2010, 01:22 PM

4,882 posts, read 3,329,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
"Multicutural" society as in separation. The new immigrant today has no desire to become an American. I work with many people who came from different lands and just about all of them at one time will say "my country" and not referring to the USA.
Chicken-or-egg situation. Is it because immigrants to do not want to embrace this country, or is it because American society does not want to embrace immigrants?

Old 03-18-2010, 01:30 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,916,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
Chicken-or-egg situation. Is it because immigrants to do not want to embrace this country, or is it because American society does not want to embrace immigrants?
It need not be a zero sum argument.

Newly arrive immigrants from the beginning of the nations history have congregated in ethnocentric concentrations where shared language, religious practices, merchandise, and sources of revenue, enabled those first and second generations the opportunity to gain a foothold in American civic life. So, unless the country is going to establish the support systems for newly arrived immigrants then all the embracing in the world isn't going to change the tendency to "self-segregate".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies