U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 03:49 PM

56,149 posts, read 80,213,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
So you don't think diversity makes a place better but in the very next sentence you say it's an advantage...which is it?

Also, it's true there's nothing objectively great about a bunch of white people living together but there is nothing negative either. Same for a diverse area. Now, subjectively either a diverse or homogeneous area can be better.
What I think he is saying is that "diversity" itself doesn't necessarily make a place better, but you can learn a lot from it(good or bad) in a way you wouldn't living somewhere that is homogeneous. I'm thinking that it brings about perspective for him in terms of how people are, regardless of ethnicity or race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 03:58 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,914,860 times
Quote:
So you don't think diversity makes a place better but in the very next sentence you say it's an advantage...which is it?

Also, it's true there's nothing objectively great about a bunch of white people living together but there is nothing negative either. Same for a diverse area. Now, subjectively either a diverse or homogeneous area can be better.
Having an advantage somewhere doesn't necessarily make a place better is exactly what I'm saying.
While diversity has its own advantages, a predominately white town can have the advantage of having lower crime rates and better schools (usually this is the case) as opposed to diverse towns.

It's all a matter of preference whether or not a place is better.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:03 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,914,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What I think he is saying is that "diversity" itself doesn't necessarily make a place better, but you can learn a lot from it(good or bad) in a way you wouldn't living somewhere that is homogeneous. I'm thinking that it brings about perspective for him in terms of how people are, regardless of ethnicity or race.
You got it.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:35 PM

2,880 posts, read 6,149,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Having an advantage somewhere doesn't necessarily make a place better is exactly what I'm saying.
While diversity has its own advantages, a predominately white town can have the advantage of having lower crime rates and better schools (usually this is the case) as opposed to diverse towns.

It's all a matter of preference whether or not a place is better.
Thanks for clearing it up, I agree.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:14 PM

5,145 posts, read 4,644,037 times
Quote:
Your attempt at satire might be a bit more successful if you actually knew what you were talking about! The Native American tribes had differing languages, customs, dances, etc. And they constantly warred with each other! How do you think a few hundred pilgrims were able to slowly gain a foothold? The natives were divided. Nothing homogeneous about them, unless all diversity is to you is skin color
First off it was the OP who commented on racial diversity in the 1st place. And furthermore Somalians were mentioned living in Minneapolis which is a predominately white city.

2nd I don't know what alternate reality you've been living in. But the great amount of diversity that exists now in the Americas (whether in terms of language, arts, political ideology, peoples) were brought in by Europeans about 1492. Or do you believe the millions of Africans, Asians, and later Euro immigrants magically whisked themselves away from their ancestral lands to the New World?

Quote:
And what is so great about a civilization that exists for hundreds, thousands of years and in most cases never progressed beyond simple nomadic tribes? (I'm talking about the North American natives). They were a proud and colorful society but to mourn them as "great" is pushing it. So when you turn off your computer, take a nice hot shower, and crawl into your comfy bed cry a few tears for them. You're really making a difference!
H mm, y'know maybe you're right. The natives should have been more like the Europeans. They should have declared the Euros heathens, wage war on them and declare the only good pale skin is a dead pale skin. Gods what are they teaching kids these days?

Old 12-26-2009, 08:16 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,978,938 times
while i only read a small number of these responses, i agree w/the ones i read. to me, it has gotten to be another "politically correct" issue rather than just keeping it as a better way to live and learn, by and large. we seem to go over board w/ so many good ideas in this country. reserving 10 handicap parking spaces in a parking lot for 75 cars, instead of the actual 65 handicap spaces for the handicapped and 10 for the able-bodied. one easily accessible handicapp ramp for a building, instead of 3 ramps for the building that has a total of only 4 entrances. and on and on it goes...the word "sustainable" used in every sentence and every situation possible. the use of the verb impact as a different part of speech, the description of everyone as "dude", everyhthing as "cool, "awesome", or "bitching". the use of the "F" word to the point in the most innocent of television shows involving cooking, running an amazing race, or managing a failing hair salon. sort of a sad situation.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:32 PM

492 posts, read 1,015,819 times
Diversity can be beneficial to many. Here in Houston never a day passes when you hear or read on the newspaper that an Asian immigrant just formed a new software company and is raking in millions;
or a Hispanic immigrant just formed a new coffee plant and is employing hundreds;
or a Palestinian immigrant who made millions pushing hair products who is now employing thousands and wants to run for governor.
Thousands of others are also making a mark here.
The current President of the University of Houston is really doing “Miracles” here, and she happens to be an Indian Immigrant.
Minorities such as Blacks and Hispanics can look at these immigrants of color and maybe shake off a lot of the negativity that has been fed to them for generations.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:14 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,868,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I know a woman from a medium mid-western city who bemoans the fact that her city is 90 percent white of mostly German-lutheran descent. She constantly talks about how she is afraid she or her hometown will be perceived as racist or backwards or something like that. When I asked her if they are racist, she says, "No, they are wonderful people. It is just that they are all White!"

Additionally she has said that she wishes she were Indian or Asian or African because "They are SO interesting!" (snip)
I don't consider myself liberal, but I admit I have had thoughts like this at times. However this kind-of thinking is actually pretty patronizing. Other cultures have interesting elements, but our culture likely has things they find interesting. Making them out to be "so interesting" is in its way a potentially colonialist and reactionary way to look at them. They develop, clarify, and change the way everyone does. Their cultures are made up of individuals some of whom might be just as dull as any insurance salesman in Ohio or duller even. (There could be some wild insurance salesman in Cleveland)

If the culture of "white America" is dull it's partly because "white America" is in many ways an artificial thing with a fairly brief history. It largely involves the reduction of any ethnic distinctiveness in order to maintain harmony. A truly "German Lutheran" town that retains the full richness of German Lutheran culture would be interesting I think. A town with Polish, Czech, Austrian, Icelandic, Dutch, and Irish festivals could be an "all-white" town and culturally diverse.

That said I like some diversity at least of some kind. I like the ability to have diverse experiences, but also I find that homogenity breeds a certain narrowness. The people are never exposed to other ways of thinking and living so they can become complacent or smug. I think this is maybe more a matter of ideas and cultures than anything. A town that's a mix of races, but lockstep in politics and religion, might be "less diverse" than an all-white town full of various religious or political views.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:40 PM

2,880 posts, read 6,149,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
First off it was the OP who commented on racial diversity in the 1st place. And furthermore Somalians were mentioned living in Minneapolis which is a predominately white city.

2nd I don't know what alternate reality you've been living in. But the great amount of diversity that exists now in the Americas (whether in terms of language, arts, political ideology, peoples) were brought in by Europeans about 1492. Or do you believe the millions of Africans, Asians, and later Euro immigrants magically whisked themselves away from their ancestral lands to the New World?
I'm reasonably in touch with reality, but judging by your posts you aren't(at least when i comes to a level-headed approach to history). My point was that America was already diverse in the native tribes in terms of religion, culture, language, etc. We aren't talking about Columbus in 1492 or the Spanish colonizers, we're talking about the part of North America taken by French and English immigrants. Do you really think those initial colonies of pilgrims or the commercial colony in Jamestown were very diverse? Like minded English citizens and African slaves hardly makes for diversity. The diversity came much later as other Europeans, Africans, and Chinese immigrated (or were forced to come).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
H mm, y'know maybe you're right. The natives should have been more like the Europeans. They should have declared the Euros heathens, wage war on them and declare the only good pale skin is a dead pale skin. Gods what are they teaching kids these days?
In bold: Plenty of them did! You act like the Native Americans were completely innocent...ever hear of scalping white children and mothers? And when the natives the Euros originally found came over they simply wiped out the earlier tribes before them.

This is a very biased and one dimensional view of history you have. I shudder to think which public school taught it this way. There were times of peace, mixed in with the war between natives and Europeans, and the natives fought each other as hard as they fought the invaders. Which is the main reason they lost....

So let's see, the europeans came up with countless inventions and ideas which shaped our modern world and the natives would probably still be roaming the plains today. You still haven't said why they are great.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:06 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,152,756 times
for some of us, diversity is a way of life..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies