U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:29 PM

24 posts, read 20,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clue View Post
Germany and China are the top exporters in the world ahead of US, and are also manufacturing powerhouse, they have higher corporate tax than US. Your tax argument is shot out of the water. Go focus on something worthwhile: innovation, comparative advantage, and efficiency.
Japan is the ONLY country with a higher corporate income tax rate than the USA, and that is only by 0.2% or so, and that is after some state taxes are added in on our side, some sort of secondary tax on theirs. Otherwise, our statutory corporate income tax rate is 35%, theirs is 30%.

The income tax is the single thing that can be changed to give back economic advantage to the USA in the manufacturing arena. We need manufacturing because that, along with mining and agriculture, are the only 3 sources of real wealth in the economy.

The cost of labor, overhead, materials, and taxes added together makes manufacturing here cost more than manufacturing anywhere else. The good news is that the income tax bite is so high, that we can cure most of our problems by eliminating it.

Attempting to pauperize our workforce so they work for peanuts like overseas is not the way to get manufacturing back. The way to do it is to get rid of the income taxes, all of them. Replace them with a consumption tax. See www.fairtax.org.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 10:35 PM

8,640 posts, read 7,974,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
'Here is a list of companies we've confirmed are "Exporting America." These are U.S. companies either sending American jobs overseas, or choosing to employ cheap overseas labor, instead of American workers.'

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/lou....a/content.html

Thanks for posting this! I have been looking for a list.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:45 AM

8,542 posts, read 6,140,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Adrift View Post
I'm PhD student in political science; Agricultural Economics is my minor. Also have an MA in International Development so I'm pretty well versed in these issues. It always amuses me to see people who would call themselves 'free market capitalists' decrying things like outsourcing; don't they see the hypocrisy? The irony?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Adrift View Post
Precisely; you explained it nice and succinctly. So many people develop very strongly held beliefs, very stubbornly held beliefs, regarding economics when they have very little understanding of how an economy actually functions... it's rather distressing. It bothers me that people cling so strongly to opinions they've developed regarding things they know almost nothing about.
Yes, it is bothersome to continue to read the writings of advocates of economic treason such as yourself and those that have agreed with you here.

Who do you think you're impressing with your MA and Phd student status? Let me help you - the answer is no one outside your circle of children of the elite who haven't a clue about what is happening in the real world around them.

You are well versed in nothing that is going to help keep you afloat 20 years from now in a country that you're doing your damnedest to destroy today with your pompous misguided theory.

My advice to you and others here who suffer the same hallucination about what lies before us if we stay on our present course is to start listening to people with some real education. Seasoned American workers with many years of real world experience who have for 20 years been watching the destruction of a once great nation by the soulless, one-dimensional beings that you idolize in your youthful fog.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:49 AM

71,925 posts, read 83,581,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
'Here is a list of companies we've confirmed are "Exporting America." These are U.S. companies either sending American jobs overseas, or choosing to employ cheap overseas labor, instead of American workers.'

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/lou....a/content.html
this is so untrue: I will not mention the company, but my daughter is a senior manager for one on the list: Do they have operations outside the USA, yes> Do they actually Outsource as most of us think of Outsourcing, NO...

Nita

Old 12-27-2009, 09:51 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,445,367 times
Add Reader's Digest to the list.

They outsourced their IT department to India this year.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
The company I work for is on that list but it's an international corporation hiring skilled professionals for work all over the world. To say they're outsourcing in the same way as a company using sweatshop labor in China or India for manufacturing work is not a fair assessment. That said, I wonder what the list would look like if inclusion were narrowed to those companies who have eliminated jobs in the US and replaced them one-for-one with foreign sources.
My point exactly...I hate when things like this appear and people take them totally literally!!!!

Nita

Old 12-27-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, yes, I've been to a steel mill. My father worked in several, and there were several others in my hometown near Pittsburgh. They provided a good living for many people. Some people had several generations working in the mills. Then the steel industry went bust, and Pittsburgh went into a 35 year or so recession, which it's finally getting over, and now here comes the general US recession. People missed it when it was gone. In any event, it's skilled labor and paid well.
but you have to admit it isn't a very pleasant way to make a living. I know a few people from the Pitt area (I worked with them in Dallas) they came from families of steel workers. Some of my husband;s relatives moved to Pitt from WV and also were in the steel industry. Most would do anything to convince their kids not to go that route. Or did convince their kids I should say. Lots of jobs pay well, but we don't want to see our kids in those fields. As for skilled labor and the steel mills, that is questinable: good, honest living, yes, truely skilled Stretch a little.

Nita

Old 12-27-2009, 10:47 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,479,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
The company I work for is on that list but it's an international corporation hiring skilled professionals for work all over the world. To say they're outsourcing in the same way as a company using sweatshop labor in China or India for manufacturing work is not a fair assessment. That said, I wonder what the list would look like if inclusion were narrowed to those companies who have eliminated jobs in the US and replaced them one-for-one with foreign sources.
Take a look at their annual reports. Compare one year to another with their employment numbers as it's ususally broken down per country.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:53 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,479,637 times
India May Get $1 Billion in IT Outsourcing Contracts: Report - ABC News

That article is about the bailout banks and how they plan to save even more money..outsource their IT to India.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:54 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,772,471 times
Opponents of NAFTA, led by Ross Perot, claimed it would force American companies to move their workforces to Mexico, where they could produce goods with cheaper labor and ship them back to the United States at lower prices. Clinton, however, argued that NAFTA would increase U.S. exports and create new jobs. He convinced many Democrats to join most Republicans in supporting trade agreement and in 1993 the Congress passed the treaty.

Well I'll be dang!

hillman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies