U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 09:51 PM

14,248 posts, read 15,079,510 times

Advertisements

My employer's on the list. Then again it's a company whose markets span the globe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 11:29 PM

13,909 posts, read 10,871,393 times
What major American company ISN'T on that kind of a list?

Old 02-24-2011, 10:53 AM

2 posts, read 7,500 times
I work for a multi-billion dollar, American company whose profit margin is 4X higher than their nearest competitor. They have made a regular practice of replacing a single American employee with 3 less qualified offshore employees who are paid 1/3 the salary. In addition to theri normal responsibilities the remaining American employees are required to oversee/manage these offshore employees to compensate for their lack of skills.

So where is the savings for the company, you ask? In the avoidance of paying US payroll taxes, social security, unemployment insurance, and other benefits.

Since this doesn't reduce the cost of running the government, who gets to make up the lost revenue? My tax burden hasn't dropped, especially with the increased rate of unemployment and under-employment.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:43 PM

4,510 posts, read 4,102,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPlainTruth View Post
I work for a multi-billion dollar, American company whose profit margin is 4X higher than their nearest competitor. They have made a regular practice of replacing a single American employee with 3 less qualified offshore employees who are paid 1/3 the salary. In addition to theri normal responsibilities the remaining American employees are required to oversee/manage these offshore employees to compensate for their lack of skills.

So where is the savings for the company, you ask? In the avoidance of paying US payroll taxes, social security, unemployment insurance, and other benefits.

Since this doesn't reduce the cost of running the government, who gets to make up the lost revenue? My tax burden hasn't dropped, especially with the increased rate of unemployment and under-employment.

I wonder what kind of bonus the CEO paid himself

Old 06-20-2011, 08:42 PM

630 posts, read 799,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Adrift View Post
Why? This is often bad for American consumers (meaning you and me!). Our economy is inextricably entwined with the global economy and people have to come to accept that. Companies, American or otherwise, have one goal: profit. By the logic of capitalism they should do one thing and one thing only; do what it takes to maximize their profit. Often times that means outsourcing so that's what they do.

Again, rather than trying to stop this (and hurting consumers and our economy in the process) we need to implement policies to help workers who've lost their jobs as a result of outsourcing to move to new industries. We also need to implement policies facilitating the growth of industries that we can maintain a comparative advantage in rather than clinging on to dying industries. Such an approach will be far better for our economy in the long run than will policies that seek to stop outsourcing.

I agree with some of your remarks. However much of what you say is based on many issues that reflect on the way things have been directed--some of those things could stand changing.

Your arguement is common among those who will benefit the most--I have heard it many times. I contend that your massive retraining will simply not be broadly implemented--will be highly resented by many Americans--and very ineffective. Also many of the industries considered dead or dying were written a death sentence by greed and improper and unethical management.
Given a fair playing field many of these industries surely can maintain a comparative advantage.

The fact is that many companies that have opted for the almighty profits could survive very well supporting many Americans--although their management and share holders may have to be satified with reasonable instead of lavish or record breaking.

America got here by the middle class--it can survive without it but not properly. The middle-class should not and must not tolerate class and social minipulation, regardless of what avenue is used, and your advocations point squarely in that direction.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:18 PM

15,712 posts, read 9,207,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
'Here is a list of companies we've confirmed are "Exporting America." These are U.S. companies either sending American jobs overseas, or choosing to employ cheap overseas labor, instead of American workers.'

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/lou....a/content.html
You say "choose". I say "forced".

Old 10-10-2011, 09:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,985 times
Yeah it's not really defensible, or justifiable by any economic models or theories. The fact is there are no jobs here. Helping the obscenely rich become richer under the guise of 'sustaining the business' is bull ****. None of these gigantic companies are at the point where they need to save themselves by dumping Americans for overseas slave labor.

You point out that it's been happening for decades. I also point out that based economic trends in the 1960's, the median salary for Americans in 2011 should be $92,000. It's actually $50,000.

Outsourcing is just one more method by which we have been robbed blind, deprived of health care, brainwashed with useless gadgets, drugged, turned against one another and saddled with enormous debt.

I guess you can try to spin that whatever way you want, but in the end, you can't placate, distract or fool people any longer.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Adrift View Post
This is a natural outcome of capitalism and, while it may seem counterintuitive, it is good for our economic welfare. The benefits accruing to American consumers outweigh the economic losses accruing to the much smaller number of employees working for these companies. If we no longer have a comparative advantage in these industries then we shouldn't maintain them at the expense of consumers. We should instead focus upon new industries which we could, and do, have a comparative advantage in. Continue expanding the service sector (which already accounts for a little over 80% of the US economy) and transition to high-value added, high-tech industries for which the market is expanding. If we try to maintain jobs that we no longer have a comparative advantage in our economy will continue to stagnate, innovation will slow and we will fall further and further behind in the long run. Free market capitalism dictates that we should let these industries move elsewhere and instead implement policies to help workers transition to other industries where we can continue to promote economic growth. Developed countries with flexible workforces that are capable of quickly developing and transitioning new industries are the ones that do best.
Really? Tell that to someone who is 50 years old that just lost their job at a factory where they worked since high school. Some are too old or not intelligent enough to "retrain" to a high tech industry. Unskilled workers who become victims of this economic "shift" end up becoming a burden on taxpayers. For some, there are little choice but welfare, disability, unemployment, prison or homelessness. The rest end up in low paying service based industry jobs, which pay a fraction of what they were making beforehand with no or little benefits.

I used to believe this crap as well, but now I really think we are feeling the effects of off-shoring after the mortgage crash. I remember a stat that stated, "For every job that is outsourced, 1.2 jobs are created." So sending a job paying a livable wage overseas and creating 1.2 minimum wage jobs is economic growth?

I really think the housing boom masked the effects of outsourcing, now that the bubble burst, it is hitting home. We are never going to recover from the crash, because all the jobs are now gone, and there is no equity to be made or spent.

Economist Paul Samuelson, a Nobel Prize winner, wrote in a 2004 paper that the economic effect of outsourcing is similar to allowing mass immigration of workers willing to compete for service jobs at extremely low wages. They can drive down the income for huge swaths of the middle class, even if they benefit their employers. "Mainstream trade economists have insufficiently noticed the drastic change in mean U.S. incomes and in inequalities among different U.S. classes."

Old 11-11-2011, 11:00 AM

8,479 posts, read 6,098,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggparker619 View Post
Really? Tell that to someone who is 50 years old that just lost their job at a factory where they worked since high school. Some are too old or not intelligent enough to "retrain" to a high tech industry. Unskilled workers who become victims of this economic "shift" end up becoming a burden on taxpayers. For some, there are little choice but welfare, disability, unemployment, prison or homelessness. The rest end up in low paying service based industry jobs, which pay a fraction of what they were making beforehand with no or little benefits.

I used to believe this crap as well, but now I really think we are feeling the effects of off-shoring after the mortgage crash. I remember a stat that stated, "For every job that is outsourced, 1.2 jobs are created." So sending a job paying a livable wage overseas and creating 1.2 minimum wage jobs is economic growth?

I really think the housing boom masked the effects of outsourcing, now that the bubble burst, it is hitting home. We are never going to recover from the crash, because all the jobs are now gone, and there is no equity to be made or spent.

Economist Paul Samuelson, a Nobel Prize winner, wrote in a 2004 paper that the economic effect of outsourcing is similar to allowing mass immigration of workers willing to compete for service jobs at extremely low wages. They can drive down the income for huge swaths of the middle class, even if they benefit their employers. "Mainstream trade economists have insufficiently noticed the drastic change in mean U.S. incomes and in inequalities among different U.S. classes."
Outstanding first post....welcome

Old 11-11-2011, 11:03 AM

7,496 posts, read 9,714,122 times
Interesting post and quite a list there. It doesn't surprise me that Earthlink is on there though; the few times I had to call for issues when I was on Earthlink I couldn't even get anybody on the phone that I could understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies