U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2011, 11:05 AM

14,298 posts, read 8,109,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
'Here is a list of companies we've confirmed are "Exporting America." These are U.S. companies either sending American jobs overseas, or choosing to employ cheap overseas labor, instead of American workers.'

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/lou....a/content.html
The only reason they do this is because our government has become increasingly hostile to business. It's our government policies, tax laws and regulations that are sending jobs overseas, our businesses are just following their lead.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 11:10 AM

1,147 posts, read 780,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Adrift View Post
This is a natural outcome of capitalism and, while it may seem counterintuitive, it is good for our economic welfare. The benefits accruing to American consumers outweigh the economic losses accruing to the much smaller number of employees working for these companies. If we no longer have a comparative advantage in these industries then we shouldn't maintain them at the expense of consumers. We should instead focus upon new industries which we could, and do, have a comparative advantage in. Continue expanding the service sector (which already accounts for a little over 80% of the US economy) and transition to high-value added, high-tech industries for which the market is expanding. If we try to maintain jobs that we no longer have a comparative advantage in our economy will continue to stagnate, innovation will slow and we will fall further and further behind in the long run. Free market capitalism dictates that we should let these industries move elsewhere and instead implement policies to help workers transition to other industries where we can continue to promote economic growth. Developed countries with flexible workforces that are capable of quickly developing and transitioning new industries are the ones that do best.
I truly hope you find your job sitting in Mumbai one day, while you sit at home unemployed wrestling with the idea of applying for food stamps.

Yes, I wish that on you. I wish that on all of your ilk who walks around saying things like that.

It happened to this prick manager I used to have. While my company was sending jobs overseas, he made a similarly idiotic speech.

I'm still trying to wipe the smile off my face from hearing the news that his job moved overseas ......while the career change I made still keeps me employed.

Aside from that, THINK McFly. If we change jobs through education, wth do you think the Indians and the Chinese will eventually do?

What are we supposed to do? Change jobs every 4 years to maintain a "comparative advantage?"

I never wish unemployment on anyone, ever. You and folks like you are the only exception.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:15 AM

10,586 posts, read 10,769,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Most of the manufacturers on that list have been outsourcing for decades.
Maybe it's time they stopped. What's wrong with a little domestic loyality? Go to Walmart and buy a garden rake...take one scrap across the soil and the buisness end seperates from the handle....THEN you have to take the thing into the workshop and do some work to get the quality up to a functional level-- in other words those that made the rake really did not finish the job - and you do the fixing with out pay...point being....Product that was manufactured in Canada - America - Germany etc..was the very best...now we pay for the very worst..makes no sense.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:40 AM

29,546 posts, read 16,484,701 times
Quote:
'Here is a list of companies we've confirmed are "Exporting America." These are U.S. companies either sending American jobs overseas, or choosing to employ cheap overseas labor, instead of American workers.'

Outsourcing does not mean jobs go out of the country. I think you meant to say "off shoring".

Many companies outsource to other American companies. And many companies off shore jobs without outsourcing.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:43 AM

29,546 posts, read 16,484,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Maybe it's time they stopped. What's wrong with a little domestic loyality? Go to Walmart and buy a garden rake...take one scrap across the soil and the buisness end seperates from the handle....THEN you have to take the thing into the workshop and do some work to get the quality up to a functional level-- in other words those that made the rake really did not finish the job - and you do the fixing with out pay...point being....Product that was manufactured in Canada - America - Germany etc..was the very best...now we pay for the very worst..makes no sense.

I buy a lot of imported products that are very high quality. In fact, I'm typing this on a wonderful Dell computer that I think was made in Mexico.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:49 AM

1,147 posts, read 780,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
I keep a supply of bolts and various metal brackets and parts on hand these days. Because it seems every time I buy something I have to finish it!

I bought these counter stools from Home Depot a few years ago. The construction was so bad that the backs would continually loosen and bend.

All I had to do was use a 3/4" by 10" piece of metal, about 1/8" thick to reenforce the connection between the base and the back, and they're perfect. The cost to do this was nominal, but it changed it from a worthless piece of crap to good solid counter stools.

This is the crap that China churns out. On an assembly line this would've taken no more than an extra 10 seconds to install, and with their kind of bulk probably less than 25 cents to buy the part.

I'm getting sick of having to be an amateur product engineer every time I buy something these days.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:54 AM

4,554 posts, read 5,470,015 times
In the Bay area busloads of Indians are being brought in to fill highly paid jobs while people who have been unemployed for a short time are told their skills are out dated. (just read other CD threads) One start might be to bring back all those jobs from flooded Bangkok as it must be more expensive to produce in a flooded country with water soaked equipment and no infastructure. The list on this thread is not complete.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:17 PM

19,910 posts, read 14,232,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
The only reason they do this is because our government has become increasingly hostile to business. It's our government policies, tax laws and regulations that are sending jobs overseas, our businesses are just following their lead.
No, it's global competition.

As I understand it, you think Ford should be forced at gun-point to export cars to India for sale, even though Indians can't pay $27,000 for a Ford car.

Instead, Ford should be forced to lower it's price to $3,000 per car, so that it can compete with Toyota and Honda who exported/off-shored jobs to India and are selling their cars in the $3,000 - $4,000 range.

You think Ford should take an $11,000 loss per car and that will keep Ford profitable and viable, right up to the point it's pension plan collapses.

Then you think the American tax payers should step in vis-a-vis the Pension Guaranty Corporation and bail out Ford's pension plan, and that the American tax payers should pay to for all former Ford employees who have now been fired 99 weeks of unemployment benefits.

You're brilliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Outsourcing does not mean jobs go out of the country. I think you meant to say "off shoring".

Many companies outsource to other American companies. And many companies off shore jobs without outsourcing.
Yeah, well, not everyone has a clue.

Most of the out-sourcing started in the 1990s in response to Clinton's stupidity. For example, P&G spun off its bio-diesel plant (outsourced its operation) even though the plant is just across the street from the soap plant. It did that for tax purposes mostly, and then of course to shrink labor costs.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:30 PM

36,893 posts, read 16,093,653 times
Quote:

How about hiring Chinese companies to do work in America instead of American companies. Which is worse?
U.S. Bridges, Roads Being Built by Chinese Firms | Video - ABC News

Old 11-11-2011, 08:37 PM

36,893 posts, read 16,093,653 times
Quote:

Your list fails to mention what work they do.

Example: Coca Cola bottles and sells its products all over the world.

Are you suggesting Coke should only bottle in America and pay people to fly, with the product already bottled and in cases, all over the world and deliver the case of Coke personaly?

Do you think it would cost more to bottle it here then to send the ingredients to another country and bottle it there? Not to mention the distribution.

Not saying any of the companies you list don't have jobs oversees but, there is always more then what meets the eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies