U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 03:04 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,080,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm not talking web jobs here..but system R&D, chip R&D..that's gone offshore where PhD's get paid $35K.
Web jobs? How about IT Services? There are lots of very high paying jobs here in that. Also, there's still plenty of R&D in the U.S. What's been outsourced is IT manufacturing, just like all other manufacturing, which can be done with lower skill labor. The brain jobs are still here and pay very well. Visit the HP website and you'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 03:15 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,479,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Web jobs? How about IT Services? There are lots of very high paying jobs here in that. Also, there's still plenty of R&D in the U.S. What's been outsourced is IT manufacturing, just like all other manufacturing, which can be done with lower skill labor. The brain jobs are still here and pay very well. Visit the HP website and you'll see.
Actually for the past 5-10 years the high tech corporates used H1B and offshore as the excuse for "lack of educated US employees" in computer science.

I've been in the industry for 20 years and watched it go from offshoring the grunt jobs (service) to R&D and new design/coding jobs. All the big players have built their latest R&D labs in India.

Go to glassdoor and read what employees say about the high tech companies here in the US and offshoring. HP is no angel.

India becomes R&D hot spot as high-tech firms cut costs | Reuters
FACTBOX-Multinational companies expand tech R&D in India - Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/feeds/afx/2009/07/09/afx6635101.html - broken link)
India Becomes R&D Hot Spot As High-Tech Firms Cut Costs

Old 12-26-2009, 03:20 PM

86,990 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Quote:
Have you ever been to a steel plant? Believe me, you would not want to work in one.
Actually, yes, I've been to a steel mill. My father worked in several, and there were several others in my hometown near Pittsburgh. They provided a good living for many people. Some people had several generations working in the mills. Then the steel industry went bust, and Pittsburgh went into a 35 year or so recession, which it's finally getting over, and now here comes the general US recession. People missed it when it was gone. In any event, it's skilled labor and paid well.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Actually for the past 5-10 years the high tech corporates used H1B and offshore as the excuse for "lack of educated US employees" in computer science.

I've been in the industry for 20 years and watched it go from offshoring the grunt jobs (service) to R&D and new design/coding jobs. All the big players have built their latest R&D labs in India.

Go to glassdoor and read what employees say about the high tech companies here in the US and offshoring. HP is no angel.

India becomes R&D hot spot as high-tech firms cut costs | Reuters
FACTBOX-Multinational companies expand tech R&D in India - Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/feeds/afx/2009/07/09/afx6635101.html - broken link)
India Becomes R&D Hot Spot As High-Tech Firms Cut Costs
Still plenty of good paying jobs, particularly in the government sector where you often need a clearance and jobs can't be located offshore.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, yes, I've been to a steel mill. My father worked in several, and there were several others in my hometown near Pittsburgh. They provided a good living for many people. Some people had several generations working in the mills. Then the steel industry went bust, and Pittsburgh went into a 35 year or so recession, which it's finally getting over, and now here comes the general US recession. People missed it when it was gone. In any event, it's skilled labor and paid well.
You've got to move on. Education is the key.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Still plenty of good paying jobs, particularly in the government sector where you often need a clearance and jobs can't be located offshore.
Only Federal cannot offshore. State and Local governments can offshore and use H1B's.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
So what area do you see where education is key. Education in what field ?
Where is the US headed job-wise besides service type jobs or healthcare related jobs ?

Old 12-26-2009, 03:37 PM

838 posts, read 869,655 times
Quote:
So what area do you see where education is key. Education in what field ?
Where is the US headed job-wise besides service type jobs or healthcare related jobs ?
Well, the US education system at the primary and secondary levels is lagging behind virtually all developed countries and, increasingly, many of the upper-middle income developing countries. It's really in dire shape; we simply aren't investing enough in education generally and the investment that we do have is increasingly unequal, with various regions of the country falling further and further behind. We need a general improvement in education: more spending, better paid and better trained teachers, smaller class sizes, longer school years... We need to rely less on standaridized tests, we need to do more to prep students for, and incentivize, college. We need to dramatically improve the way we fund higher education, making it much more affordable. We need to make it easier for adults to go back to school. We need to offer better training programs for jobs that don't require a college degree.

As for specific subject areas, we are really lacking in the 'hard' sciences and mathematics, both of which are becoming increasingly important for the high-tech industries we need to be pursuing.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:38 PM

86,990 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Quote:
What are you talking about "move on"? I don't live in Pittsburgh, and my husband is not from there. They tried a lot of "retraining" there, but for years, there just weren't the jobs there, re-trained or not. Pgh had a net out-migration for decades, up to and including the 2000 census.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:46 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,790,963 times
Quote:
So true. Think about how much less you spent on Christmas because of imported goods.
I spent $0 on Christmas. I also spent 0DKK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies