U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2009, 05:30 PM

30,270 posts, read 16,643,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
'Here is a list of companies we've confirmed are "Exporting America." These are U.S. companies either sending American jobs overseas, or choosing to employ cheap overseas labor, instead of American workers.'

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/lou....a/content.html
Somthing is wrong with this list. Summitville Tiles is on this list. I know the people at Summitvile. They are hard core Republicans. Their website says the following:
American Made,
American Owned Since 1912
I know Pete Johnson personally, one of the owners. They export a huge amount of tile, all made in their factory at Summitville, Ohio, which is in the middle of a farming community and all made from fine Ohio clays (they also manufacture brick). See their Website at Summitville Tiles, Inc.

Summitville is a very small company. Read their story here. These are good people. One day, when we found we were short two pieces of bullnose tile to finish a job, we called the factory in Summitville. They arranged for us to pick up the needed pieces at the factory, so we could finish the job before our clients came home from vacation, as we had promised them. We drove the 50+ miles to Summitville, OH, early in the morning, and they had our tile ready for us on our arrival, in "Will Call". This was extrordinary service, as they do not do this on a regular basis. But they agreed to do it for us (my wife and I).

Summitville made it possible for us to become successful in the tile business. They gave us sample boards (normally you pay for them) and they supported us (my wife and I) 100% with advice, their fine procucts, and even sending customers our way. That is how it is done in the America that we have known.

I love these people.

They do not export jobs; they export tile.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 12-26-2009 at 05:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 05:33 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,098,301 times
You can whine about what it is or isn't but that's not going to get you anywhere. The government's not going to help you much. You gotta own your own future. Figure out what's going to make you what you want and do it. No matter how bad you think you have it, your ancestors had it a lot tougher. Get to work!

Old 12-26-2009, 05:35 PM

4,510 posts, read 4,116,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Somthing is wrong with this list. Summitville Tiles is on this list. I know the people at Summitvile. They are hard core Republicans. Their website says the following:
American Made,
American Owned Since 1912
I know Pete Johnson personally, one of the owners. They export a huge amount of tile, all made in their factory at Summitville, Ohio, which is in the middle of a farming community and all made from fine Ohio clays (they also manufacture brick). See their Website at Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more

Summitville is a very small company. Read their story here. These are good people. One day, when we found we were short two pieces of bullnose tile to finish a job, we called the factory in Summitville. They arranged for us to pick up the needed pieces at the factory, so we could finish the job before our clients came home from vacation, as we had promised them. We drove the 50+ miles to Summitville, OH, early in the morning, and they had our tile ready for us on our arrival, in "Will Call". This was extrordinary service, as they do not do this on a regular basis. But they agreed to do it for us (my wife and I).

Summitville made it possible for us to become successful in the tile business. They gave us sample boards (normally you pay for them) and they supported us (my wife and I) 100% with advice, their fine procucts, and even sending customers our way. That is how it is done in the America that we have known.

I love these people.

They do not export jobs; they export tile.
Send Lou Dobbs an email.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:40 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,004,512 times
Personally, I feel that companies outsource to improve their bottom line to appease unrealistic shareholder expectations of infinite yearly growth. Thus, if the average consumer does benefit from the outsourcing, it is negligible. I guess it could be argued that if the companies didn't outsource, then they'd have to raise the price of their products/services to appease their shareholders. Eventually though, even with the jobs outsourced companies will have to do something else to improve the bottom line.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
Personally, I feel that companies outsource to improve their bottom line to appease unrealistic shareholder expectations of infinite yearly growth. Thus, if the average consumer does benefit from the outsourcing, it is negligible. I guess it could be argued that if the companies didn't outsource, then they'd have to raise the price of their products/services to appease their shareholders. Eventually though, even with the jobs outsourced companies will have to do something else to improve the bottom line.
I think you'll be seeing more paycuts in lieu of layoffs. Companies are finding that instead of outsourcing jobs to lower wage countries they can in-source lower wages to their current domestic workforce.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:50 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,534,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I think you'll be seeing more paycuts in lieu of layoffs. Companies are finding that instead of outsourcing jobs to lower wage countries they can in-source lower wages to their current domestic workforce.
And is that not part of the decline of America ? People these days are thankful for any job.

Renting is no longer shunned. Walking away from your mortgage is no longer shunned. Bankruptcy is no longer shunned.

All part of the fallout. While Asia tries to grow their middle class and get consumerism kicked off, we at home are cutting back and making do with less and less each day.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:58 PM

199 posts, read 189,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Adrift View Post
1. Protectionism:2. Free Trade/Free Market Policies
Most developed countries do not use these policies any more because they have the competitive advantage.

These policies shouldn't be prescribe to developing countries though, protectionism, high tariff, and protected trade is needed to grow industries at the developing stage.

Quote:
All of your hot air 'economic' theories mean diddly-squat. Capitalism works better nowadays in Communist China than it does here, because they are actually producing what we used to. Our consumerism and credit-driven economy has fueled their economic growth. The shortsighted 'greedism' that caused CEOs to outsource I.T.jobs, and build factories overseas, has expanded their capitalistic model at our expense. So outsourcing is indeed good for them - but not for us.
Yikes. So many misconceptions here. Ok, first of all, FDI in China for decades has mainly been rich Chinese diasporas in East Asia and Southeast Asia. HK, Taiwan, Singapore venture capital funded a lot of start ups in China.

This has been repeated before, manufacturerers overall for most products makes up 10% of the final cost of the product. That is tiny, retailers get the biggest chunk of your dollar every time you buy a product, anywhere from 40% to 70%, depending on the product. Outsourcing is not the issue, it doesn't matter how many times you repeat it. It's not. US is not the only country outsouring but Americans are the biggest whiners about outsourcing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rally2xs View Post
You think that GM/Ford/Chrysler is as successful as they are because of "customer loyalty" based on Nationalism?
Yes.

Quote:
How about "customer loyalty" based on things like Jeep just being the best d*** vehicle you want to be in when faced with weather like lots of us had last week? I and my Jeep went anywhere we pleased!
Yes, that too. Japanese and Korean automakers jumped on the bandwagon a bit, but they were smart enough not to go all the way.

Quote:
GM/Ford/Chrysler also builds... LARGE CARS! People in this country like large cars, and many abhor the "sorta large" cars from manufacturers like Infinity, Audi, etc. Big SUVs? AMERICAN companies build 'em. Best selling line of trucks in the world? American - Ford F-series. Look for a foreign car with the size of a Lincoln Town Car. LTC trunk space about 19 cubic feet. Next-biggest foreign car trunk space around 13 cubic feet. Infinity, I think it was.
GM, Ford, and Chrysler operated on a short term profit basis. Large cars aren't popular around the world besides North America. If you've been to Asia and Europe, you're not going to see much consumers buying Ford F-Series and large SUV, it doesn't make sense for them. Besides, US is not the biggest car market anymore, China surpassed US as the #1 car market this year, not to mention Hummer and Volvo (including their IP) are snapped up by Chinese automakers for peanuts.

Quote:
Want to really do something for American to stop all this outsourcing? Get rid of the income taxes - all of them. Abolish the IRS, institute the Fair Tax, and watch the industries that we need - the ones where people that can't benefit from college, the ones that don't want to go into $50,000 of debt to afford it, etc. can still get good jobs installing windshields on cars as they come by on an assembly line, or consumer electronic endeavors that should be done here instead of Seol or Tokyo.
There's 6 billion people on this planet, you can't give everyone good jobs installing windshields. It's pipe dream.

Quote:
We need to make this country prosperous for all, not just for those that can go to college and get some benefit out of it. We should be building factories by the 1000's, making them run for 3 shifts a day, manufacturing things from cars to cameras, cell phones to televisions, rather than letting everywhere-but-here in this world do it, while too large a percentage of our population lives at or below the poverty line, and would not need to if union jobs were available to build things we need, and the things the rest of the world needs.
Ridiculous, who's going to supply the capital investment? Who's going to buy them en masse? Who's going to design the products (keeping in mind that a lot of educated PhDs today are foreign)?

Quote:
Completely untaxed manufacturing - that's what the Fair Tax is, and will result in our being the new, best tax haven on the planet. No more going to Ireland to build things because they have a 12.5% corporate income tax rate. No more beating up the American worker with your work-for-peanuts workforce.
Tax haven usually means a place where the rich can store money and not worry about, it's not as grandiose as you make out to be.

Quote:
We can begin with removing the tax incentives given to coporations to outsource, but it's far too late.
No it's not.

Quote:
Capitalism is about making a product desirable - tied of course to price point and quality.
Incorrect, capitalism is the exchange of goods and service based on comparative advantage.

Quote:
Japan won the American automotive market first on the price point, and later on quality. They were forced by our government to bring jobs here in order to sell cars here.
Wow. You didn't even know how it panned out. You know why protectionism was lifted on Japanese cars? It didn't make any sense, protectionism lowered the supply of Japanese cars on the market while the demand stayed the same, the price of Japanese cars went UP. That's right, it went UP. Consumers decided they want Japanese cars.

Quote:
It was an instance of where the American worker wasn't hurt as much as of all the jobs went to Japan. Likewise, India and China also entered at the price point, encouraged and supported by American corporations seeking a quick jump to their bottom line, but now that we have transferred our knowledge to them, they will soon exceed us on the quality point. We have built out own mousetrap - and we are the mouse.
Still a policy problem for Americans, other countries outsourced their industries to East Asia as well, are they whining as much? No. They focus on what they are good at.

Hell, the businesses consolidating themselves into huge oligopolies and monopolies are a greater threat than outsourcing. Outsourcing has been a natural phenomenon for centuries.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:00 PM

30,270 posts, read 16,643,271 times
Quote:
Send Lou Dobbs an email.
I corrected that link to Summitville Tiles. I don' know where that junk came from that is on your reply. It is Summitville Tiles, Inc.

These people, the Johnsons are some of the nicest people I have met in my entire life. They also own the Spread Eagle Tavern Spread Eagle Tavern & Inn Home Page

Old 12-26-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And is that not part of the decline of America ? People these days are thankful for any job.

Renting is no longer shunned. Walking away from your mortgage is no longer shunned. Bankruptcy is no longer shunned.

All part of the fallout. While Asia tries to grow their middle class and get consumerism kicked off, we at home are cutting back and making do with less and less each day.
Run an internet business on the side. That's what I do. Works great.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:22 PM

47,573 posts, read 60,658,925 times
The problem with all you pro-outsourcers that don't believe in Americans having jobs is who is going to pay for all the free healthcare, the endless unemployment handouts, and welfare for them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies