Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2009, 12:48 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
And George W. Bush said he prayed for days before god told him to invade Iraq. Can we call it a religious war? Can the families of the 4000+ young Americans who died there call it a religious war?

good grief
how about you come on in to the present day?
Obama is the president now not Bush, not Carter, not Clinton
this will be interesting to see how Obama handles this attack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 12:50 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Just stop.
Don't think it can't happen. Just look at what the 3 Navy Seals who captured a top Al Qaeda operative accused of murdering four Blackwater US security guards are going through. Never mind these guards were burned, beaten, dragged through the streets of Fallujah and their decapitated bodies hung from a bridge over the Euphrates River on March 31, 2004. The terrorist, when taken into custody, had a bloody lip, prompting charges against them and a court marshal.

"Navy SEALs have secretly captured one of the most wanted terrorists in Iraq — the alleged mastermind of the murder and mutilation of four Blackwater USA security guards in Fallujah in 2004. And three of the SEALs who captured him are now facing criminal charges"

It CAN happen..

Old 12-26-2009, 01:19 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
good grief
how about you come on in to the present day?
Obama is the president now not Bush, not Carter, not Clinton
this will be interesting to see how Obama handles this attack
How does one "handle" such an attack? We will face these sort of acts for the foreseeable future and nothing any one president or series of presidents is going to be able to stop them from reoccurring.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:26 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,826,114 times
“Suddenly, we hear a bang. It sounded like a firecracker went off,” said Jasper Schuringa, a film director who was traveling to the US to visit friends.

“When [it] went off, everybody panicked ... Then someone screamed, ‘Fire! Fire!’”

Schuringa, sitting in seat 20J, in the right-most section of the Airbus 330, looked to his left. “I saw smoke rising from a seat ... I didn’t hesitate. I just jumped,” he said.

Schuringa dove over four passengers to reach Abdul Mutallab’s seat. The suspect had a blanket on his lap. “It was smoking and there were flames coming from beneath his legs.”

“I searched on his body parts and he had his pants open. He had something strapped to his legs.”

The unassuming hero ripped the flaming, molten object — which resembled a small, white shampoo bottle — off Abdul Mutallab’s left leg, near his crotch.

He said he put out the fire with his bare hands.

Schuringa yelled for water, and members of the flight crew soon appeared with fire extinguishers.

Then, he said, he hauled the suspect out of the seat.

“I took him in a choke to the first class and all the people were like, ‘What’s going on?!”

“I don’t feel like a hero,” Schuringa told the Post as he recuperated with pals.

“It was something that came completely natural ... It was something where I had to do something or it was too late.”

Dutch Passenger Hurls Into Action to Stop Alleged Terrorist on Plane - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

Spin all you want..this was a terrorist attempt to blow up an airplane.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:46 PM

There are reports coming out the terrorist boarded the plane without a passport.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:47 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
How does one "handle" such an attack? We will face these sort of acts for the foreseeable future and nothing any one president or series of presidents is going to be able to stop them from reoccurring.

I did not say he can stop them from occurring, I said I will be interested in how he handles this one
so far Obama is a vast wash out on every level
every time he come prancing out of air force one with his little salute to the gard standing there I gringe
everything about Obama makes me cringe

Old 12-26-2009, 01:52 PM

The plot to blow up a passenger jet was launched by al-Qaeda leaders in Yemen who apparently sewed bomb materials into the suspect's underwear.

The suspect had more than 80 grams of PETN, a compound related to nitro-glycerin.

Yesterday's bomb failed because the detonator may have been too small or was not in "proper contact" with the explosive material.

Abdulmutallab made contact via the internet with a radical imam in Yemen who then connected him with al-Qaeda leaders.

The suspect lived with the al-Qaeda leader in Yemen for about a month and was not allowed to leave as he was trained in what to do and how to do it.

Abdulmutallab said he was joined by a Saudi citizen whom he described as an al-Qaeda bomb maker.

The device consisted of a six-inch packet of powder and a syringe with a liquid. Both were sewn into the student's underwear so they would be near his testicles and unlikely to be detected.

Authorities say the combination of the liquid in the syringe with the powder created the flash bomb.
Abdulmutallab suffered second-degree burns in his genital area.

The suspected bomber was traveling on a visa issued by the State Department on June 16, 2008 and valid until June 12, 2010.

Officials tell ABC News he was on a U.S. "terror watch list" but not on the "no fly" list, which would have prevented him from boarding the flight.

Excerpt) Read more at abcnews.go.com ...

Old 12-26-2009, 01:54 PM

"Published reports in Nigeria said Abdulmutallab's father had contacted the U.S. embassy six months ago about concerns his son had become radicalized and could pose a threat to the U.S. One report said the father could not understand why his son was allowed to board a flight to the U.S. given his warning. "

Old 12-26-2009, 02:00 PM

One has to wonder why would someone on a terror watch list be allowed a visa to the US and allowed to board a US commercial aircraft.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:28 PM

Suspect Charged in Thwarted Terror Plot Aboard Detroit-Bound Jet

One flight attendant asked him what he had had in his pocket, and he replied "explosive device."

Earlier Saturday, it was revealed the U.S. reportedly had known for at least two years that the suspect could have terrorist ties.

The official said that the suspect has been on a list that includes people with known or suspected contact or ties to a terrorist or terrorist organization."

Suspect Charged in Thwarted Terror Plot Aboard Detroit-Bound Jet - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies