U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2009, 09:14 AM

12,358 posts, read 7,751,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Maybe if either of you knew anything about the religion you like to slam so much you would know it doesn't mean ANY of those things.
You didn't direct this reply to me but I'd like to ask why so many religious people assume that if someone else doesn't go to church that they don't know anything about religion? I myself have taken several college courses on comparative religions of the world, have studied the Bible and other period literature written in the same time frame as the Bible, and I was exposed to many different denominations of Christianity grown up. I've studied Jewish and Buddhist literature as well and have taken several college course on Christian art. I don't put people down who find God through Jesus Christ but I'd sure like to be given the same respect for finding God by walking a different path.

Oh, and I almost forgot that I had a job for 10 years that took me into 4-5 churches or synagogues every week and every once in a while I had some very meaningful conversations with a minister or priest or rabbi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Of course you're not [religious], you're a Democrat.
What does that have to do with it? Most of the Democrats I know---and that's a lot of people---are church goers. And just so you'll know, you don't have to go to church to be spiritual. But spirituality is something that only new-age flakes claim is just as important than going to church, right?

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 12-26-2009 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: added quote and reply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 09:16 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,818,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post

Everybody makes assumptions.
I am making an assumption about you right now.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:26 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,899,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
You didn't direct this reply to me but I'd like to ask why so many religious people assume that if someone else doesn't go to church that they don't know anything about religion? I myself have taken several college course on comparative religions of the world, have studied the Bible and other period literature written in the same time frame as the Bible, and I was exposed to many different denominations of Christianity grown up. I've studied Jewish and Buddhist literature as well and have taken several college course on Christian art. I don't put people down who find God through Jesus Christ but I'd sure like to be given the same respect for finding God by walking a different path.
I didn't say that people who don't go to Church know nothing about religion. I was replying to this quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Why do "christians" think walking into a building on a certain day means you're religious/holy/better/moral.....anything....????

It just doesn't make any sense.....
Going to church does not make you any of those things.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:31 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,098,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Do have any proof of this ASSumption? [Obama's lower likeability than Reagan]No, of course you don't.
Lately I've heard him described by many as cold, aloof, and almost robotic. Not adjectives associated with a Reagan or an FDR. Much more like Kerry.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:32 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,048,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
I know I didn't.
Me either...... actually, I think the last time I was in a church I was repairing the tile floor, or delivering one of my tile inlaid tables.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Lately I've heard him described by many as cold, aloof, and almost robotic. Not adjectives associated with a Reagan or an FDR. Much more like Kerry.
Well there you have it. You believe what you hear.

Let me take a wild guess.

Right Wing Radio?

Figures.

Nice proof you've offered by the way.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:16 AM

8,388 posts, read 8,342,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Well there you have it. You believe what you hear.

Let me take a wild guess.

Right Wing Radio?

Figures.

Nice proof you've offered by the way.

Look, if you have a source that daily reaffirms your prejudices and fears, what else could you possibly need in the way of information?

Old 12-26-2009, 10:23 AM

900 posts, read 544,302 times
Quote:
Didn't see any stories about it. If not, how long since a President didn't attend Christmas services?
Who cares?

Old 12-26-2009, 10:26 AM

2,480 posts, read 2,878,205 times
Quote:
Didn't see any stories about it. If not, how long since a President didn't attend Christmas services?
Who knows?
Call him up and ask him, here's the phone number to the White House switchboard : Switchboard: 202-456-1414
When they answer, ask for President Obama.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
Who cares?
The religious right cares deeply. They even care deeply about your sex life.

Those things are very important to them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies