Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2009, 02:53 PM

2,735 posts, read 2,463,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post

I did not use the word perfection. It's the confident-I'm-smarter-than-you attitude that always leaves me with a chuckle. And I'm not just charging you, or your country lol. It seems to be a trait that can be found across the board.
Damn Interesting • Unskilled and Unaware of It
The same could be said about you
Because if you would not feel like you are smarter than I am, you would not say that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
An article based on some poll taken god knows where. I am never polled. Where do all these polls take place. The 2004 election was very close. Perhaps if you were interested in views that do not support your premise, you might be surprised. Also, many were up in arms over the 2002 state of the union address because it was comprised of information that was already shown to be inaccurate. Many Americans were spitting nails. I'm sure they were not polled.
The fact that you are never polled, doesn`t mean that only people that do not share your opinons are polled and thats why polls are distorted.
Not saying that polls cannot be distorted but I find your argument not that strong.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:04 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
The same could be said about you
Because if you would not feel like you are smarter than I am, you would not say that
Nice try at deflection. Ignore it if you wish, but that's people for you.

Quote:
The fact that you are never polled, doesn`t mean that only people that do not share your opinons are polled and thats why polls are distorted.
Not saying that polls cannot be distorted but I find your argument not that strong.
If your argument is going to rest upon polls and your experiences on internet forums, then you have a lot to learn about valid arguments. Added is the boasting of America and American politics to follow up with gastly misinformation about Paul. Again, if you have the time, read that article. lol

Frankly, the Leno skit is perfect for this thread. It lends a general clue about polls and the tube.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Nice try at deflection. Ignore it if you wish, but that's people for you.

If your argument is going to rest upon polls and your experiences on internet forums, then you have a lot to learn about valid arguments. Added is the boasting of America and American politics to follow up with gastly misinformation about Paul. Again, if you have the time, read that article. lol

Frankly, the Leno skit is perfect for this thread. It lends a general clue about polls and the tube.
Its not, I have been to the US many times. I have lived in North America.
What do you mean about the gastly misinformation about Paul?
I do not support Creationism , however it seems weird that RP would support that. Thats why I want to do more research on that.

I frankly do not care about the Leno skit.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Its not, I have been to the US many times. I have lived in North America.
What do you mean about the gastly misinformation about Paul?
I do not support Creationism , however it seems weird that RP would support that. Thats why I want to do more research on that.
What's worse, imo, is his use of the term theory. That displays horrid ignorance. To be clear, this vid is chopped, but it's his words live and in color.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JyvkjSKMLw

Old 12-26-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
What's worse, imo, is his use of the term theory. That displays horrid ignorance. To be clear, this vid is chopped, but it's his words live and in color.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JyvkjSKMLw
I believe you only watched the edited video. Heres the transcript of what he said:

‘Well, at first I thought it was a very inappropriate question, you know, for the presidency to be decided on a scientific matter, and I think it’s a theory, a theory of evolution, and I don’t accept it, you know, as a theory, but I think [it probably doesn't bother me. It's not the most important issue for me to make the difference in my life to understand the exact origin. I think] the Creator that I know created us, everyone of us, and created the universe, and the precise time and manner, I just don’t think we’re at the point where anybody has absolute proof on either side. [So I just don't...if that were the only issue, quite frankly, I would think it's an interesting discussion, I think it's a theological discussion, and I think it's fine, and we can have our...if that were the issue of the day, I wouldn't be running for public office.']

I dont think RP is some crazy dude that wants people to believe the Earth is 6000 years old. I do not care about his personal beliefs about God.

Censoring Ron Paul on Evolution « LewRockwell.com Blog

Old 12-26-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I believe you only watched the edited video. Heres the transcript of what he said:

‘Well, at first I thought it was a very inappropriate question, you know, for the presidency to be decided on a scientific matter, and I think it’s a theory, a theory of evolution, and I don’t accept it, you know, as a theory, but I think [it probably doesn't bother me. It's not the most important issue for me to make the difference in my life to understand the exact origin. I think] the Creator that I know created us, everyone of us, and created the universe, and the precise time and manner, I just don’t think we’re at the point where anybody has absolute proof on either side. [So I just don't...if that were the only issue, quite frankly, I would think it's an interesting discussion, I think it's a theological discussion, and I think it's fine, and we can have our...if that were the issue of the day, I wouldn't be running for public office.']
That bolded statement makes it that much worse. Absolute proof for a theory? Proofs are for alcohol and maths. Second, it's not a theological discussion. It's a scientific discussion. Third, lets see you defend his use of the term theory. That will be a better gauge imo.

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillife View Post
My husband is from England and he teases me about being an "insular American".

I think it's a combination of things. We're separated geographically from the Eastern hemisphere so it's not like the average American is going to go for a jaunt or a school trip to France, Italy or Spain (as my husband did when he was young). America is huge and diverse so most American will stay here for vacations.

Then there's education (or lack thereof). Most of us don't get taught geography as a separate subject. It's sort of mushed in with history. Granted things may have changed since my husband went to school, but in England they used to teach geography as a separate course.

Let's not forget our media. How many times have you heard a news story about a disaster in a foreign country where they say, "1,000 people died - among them were 2 Americans!" My husband watches BBC news which focuses much more on events happening all over the globe. (Full disclosure: I find it kind of boring).

Lastly, for better or worse, America has become the cultural center of the world. I'm not going to opine as to whether it's good culture or trashy culture, but the fact of the matter is that people in other countries, even those who hate us, seek to emulate us. So it's no wonder that Americans tend to have an "It's all about us, baby!" attitude.

Lastly, I thought this was funny. "How Americans view the world"

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/o...g/worldmap.jpg
Excellent Post Love the map also

Quote:
Actually, evolution IS a theory like many other things in science. I really don`t care if he believes in it or not as long as he doesn`t force people to adopt his belief system.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Actually, evolution IS a theory like many other things in science. I really don`t care if he believes in it or not as long as he doesn`t force people to adopt his belief system.
Oh, please do tell what you think a scientific theory is. This should be fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies