U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2009, 08:18 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,759,886 times

Advertisements

I think Europe's doing a fine job of cleaning up their own messes at the moment.
Yes, they needed our help during and after WW II; not so much since, and certainly not now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 08:49 PM

20,310 posts, read 19,418,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I think Europe's doing a fine job of cleaning up their own messes at the moment.
Yes, they needed our help during and after WW II; not so much since, and certainly not now.
Bosnia?
NATO? Which Europe contributed and contributes very little financially to. But it is they who reap the greatest benefits.
Look I am not saying and have never said the USA is perfect and Europe is all bad. What I am saying is that Europe is a matter of taste. Some like it and some don't. Me? Not a huge fan and I especially disliked France.
Loved Italy and Spain. Liked England too. Detested Greece and Turkey. Really disliked the open sewer known as Egypt. Liked Israel but disliked how they treated the Palestinians as a whole. Brutal is what comes to mind.
Over all I wouldn't go back if I won a free trip. Now Asia? Love it there.
Its all a matter of taste.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:30 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,351,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
Why do you think I am a creationist? I am not. I am also not ignorant in the sciences, why do you think that? I do not even think that I have ever mentioned "science" on CD.
Yes, I believe RP would be a better candidate than the usual Dem/Rep candidates (I have nothing against Obama, however).
I looked what RP voted for/against and I liked most of it (not all).
I also liked how he handles himself when interviewed by Fox News. He usually outsmarts the guys from Fox news.
He actually makes sense. Just check out what he thinks about the Patriot Act.
It doesn't take a genius to outfox the FAUX News windbags.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:04 PM

8,505 posts, read 4,390,751 times
A person will learn whatever the person is interested in. If a person likes science that person will know allot about it and leave others in the dirt. If a person wants to learn about history, then they will know allot about history and again leave others in the dirt on the topic.

There is no one to blame, no one to call, nothing to get excited about. It's just geography.

Why do people not know about other countries---guess they weren't interested in geography.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:07 AM

893 posts, read 625,371 times
The Jay leno's "Jay walking" is a segment on a freakin' Late Night Talk show. Those type of segments are used around the world. They go on the streets and wait for people to say dumb things.

Anyone who finds it represenative or indicative of American people is a moron. And by extension anyone who watches TV to understand americans or american society is not only ignorant but most likely a bigot....

Old 12-27-2009, 12:13 AM

968 posts, read 1,814,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Because when they were in school they were too busy learning how to put a condom on a cucumber.

I failed that class.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:25 AM

838 posts, read 867,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
A person will learn whatever the person is interested in. If a person likes science that person will know allot about it and leave others in the dirt. If a person wants to learn about history, then they will know allot about history and again leave others in the dirt on the topic.

There is no one to blame, no one to call, nothing to get excited about. It's just geography.

Why do people not know about other countries---guess they weren't interested in geography.
People will learn a lot about the subjects they are interested in, but there is something to be said for ensuring that people have a well-rounded, liberal (not in the political sense) education. Compared to most other developed countries (and, increasingly, several upper-middle income developing countries) our populace's education is really lacking. People should have a basic understanding of the world they live in, they should have a basic understanding of how our government works, of the basic of how economies function, of mathematics and science, etc. People don't need to be able to tell you who the King of Bhutan is but they should be able to locate Iraq on a damn map.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:25 AM

3,634 posts, read 5,013,000 times
i would say because the media keeps us blind to real issues outside of our country

Old 12-27-2009, 05:23 AM

8,388 posts, read 8,319,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
Please reserve your pious judgment for how easily your emotions are manipulated by the contents of a simple thread. Your entire attitude is akin to a child throwing a tantrum because he doesn't like something that he has just heard.
Sorry if looking beyond the obvious is so upsetting to you.

Quote:
I started this thread because I knew it would create a sh-t storm. I am utterly amazed at how big it has become.

Come on people, it's just a discussion. It's not like lives hang in the balance.

I have met some truly enlightened people on City-Data, and then I've met some first rate juveniles as well.

Have a nice day!
So, you don't really believe those silly things you posted when you started this thread?

That's good news!

Old 12-27-2009, 05:26 AM

2,735 posts, read 2,147,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post

You either have to be A. ignorant of the sciences, B. a creationist, or C. unfamiliar with the candidate if you favor to support Paul. Initially, I just assumed you were familiar with Paul, which I think is a fair assumption. Based on your posts, for you it's option A, possibly C.
I don`t think so, because RP does not make it a topic. He even did not like being asked this question.
RP is more known for his stance on totally different topics.
Also, someone that shares a highly edited video, should not make assumptions whether someone else is well informed or not.
If you share a video or an interview, show the whole thing, otherwise, it can be biased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies