Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2009, 10:35 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times

Advertisements

American interests in the outside world:
- if we can't exploit their population or their resources, to hell with them.
- if they don't agree with Washington's policies, to hell with them (or bomb them)
- we have nothing to learn from other nations/cultures. The whole world should try to be like America.
So why should Americans even acknowledge that other cultures exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 03:39 AM

54 posts, read 62,730 times
Quote:
Why are Americans so ignorant about the rest of the world?
Better question.

Why are Americans so ignorant about their own country?

I bet only 20% or less of the people on this forum have read the constitution and in my entire life i have never met a liberal who has read it. The usual response from a stupid left winger is: "Who cares about the constitution written by a bunch of old men who don't matter anymore"

Old 12-30-2009, 04:48 AM

2,735 posts, read 2,463,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
Thanks for being concerned about my 'ignorance'.

Maybe I can help you with yours.

In 2005, the United States total immigrant population was 38,354,710.
In 2005, the German total immigrant population was 10,143,630.

International migration stock, total by country. Definition, graph and map.

Hmmm- just thought I'd help you be less ignorant about the country with the most immigrants. Is it helping any?

It wasn't until the enactment of a recent January 2005 immigration law that Germany officially declared itself an 'immigration country'... pretty short track record. The US has been an immigration country since the late 1800's...
I think in terms of %, you think in terms of total numbers. Thats just not correct, because the Germany is the size of California.
Also, your numbers are not correct. The Germany officiall statitics give you a number of 15,3 Million immigrants in Germany.
For a country with a population of 82 Million, thats a share of 18%.
The US has a popualtion of 300 Million, your number of immigrants in the US would be then a share of 12,66%.

I don`t understand what a law has to do with being an immigration country? You need to become more familiar with Germany`s history to understand the issue of this law.
The immigrants didn`t come here after 2005, they came here before in masses.
Mostly after WWII as so-called guest workers and have stayed here. Germany has also more than most other european countries granted asylum to people that fled wars (like from Yugoslawia). Many of these people also stayed.

Btw, is this a competition which country has more immigrants? I really don`t care about who has "the bigger penis" here. Actually, 99,99% of all US Americans are "immigrants".
But first, get your facts right. Your number (german`s immigrants) is not right.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:15 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,617,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
I think in terms of %, you think in terms of total numbers. Thats just not correct, because the Germany is the size of California.
Also, your numbers are not correct. The Germany officiall statitics give you a number of 15,3 Million immigrants in Germany.
For a country with a population of 82 Million, thats a share of 18%.
The US has a popualtion of 300 Million, your number of immigrants in the US would be then a share of 12,66%.

I don`t understand what a law has to do with being an immigration country? You need to become more familiar with Germany`s history to understand the issue of this law.
The immigrants didn`t come here after 2005, they came here before in masses.
Mostly after WWII as so-called guest workers and have stayed here. Germany has also more than most other european countries granted asylum to people that fled wars (like from Yugoslawia). Many of these people also stayed.

Btw, is this a competition which country has more immigrants? I really don`t care about who has "the bigger penis" here. Actually, 99,99% of all US Americans are "immigrants".
But first, get your facts right. Your number (german`s immigrants) is not right.
You sound extremely defensive - I am merely posting facts that are widely available on the web - which obviously don't agree with your opinion - so you object to and reject them - not my problem...

You want percentages?

In 2008 the US had 2.92 immigrants per 1,000 population.
In 2008 Germany had 2.19 immigrants per 1,000 population.

Net migration rate statistics - countries compared - NationMaster

Sorry - but they don't call America 'The Melting Pot' for nothing. Immigration is ingrained in our history.

You need to become more informed about America's immigration history - I'd start around 1880 or so - you'll see significant immigration throughout that time through the present.

America has long represented freedom and opportunity to masses across the world - which is why we have always been and always will be an immigration magnet. One can succeed on their abilities - it doesn't matter what their place of birth or nationality or the social status of their family - if you have abilities - you can succeed and move up the economic ladder.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:51 AM

634 posts, read 1,558,598 times
Default American perspectives of the world

Quote:
If your own country plans a war, which affects million of people, yes I strongly recommend that people get some information.
About the country they want to attack, the reasons why its being attacked and so.
If you vote for a president that want to start a war, or has started a war, you have to get familiar with the circumstances.

Why do you think people are angry that your country started a war without even having a legitimate reason?

So to answer your question: If your actions affect the lives of people outside of the US, then you at least should know what your government is doing.
I do believe too many people have too narrow view of the world. Only in traveling the world can you get a better picture of it. I too am shocked by the people on Jay Leno but not surprised. Pop culture has infested our young people and they spend their time and energy on celebrity gossip, the newest gadgets, and all things pop culture.

As for the war, the rest of the world has every right to question our judgment. I do think that the Bush administration took advantage of the the American people after the 911 attacks to go after Iraq, I think Cheney was probably promising his friends this and more before the election, the 911 attacks gave him the perfect opportunity. LOOK AT THE STOCK PRICES FOR THE MAJOR DEFENSE CONTRACTORS AFTER THE ELECTION AND BEFORE 911- ESPECIALLY HALIBURTON AND ITS SUBSIDIES. This is not a coincidence.

AMERICANS AS A WHOLE ARE NOT IGNORANT.

Do not think the people of CD are a sampling of the American people. The people here just a hand full of blogger s, they thrive on trying to sway other peoples opinions.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
You sound extremely defensive - I am merely posting facts that are widely available on the web - which obviously don't agree with your opinion - so you object to and reject them - not my problem...

And I used the officially German statistics bureau. If you ever wrote an academic paper, you`d get your numbers from the most reliable source that has access to the data.

You want percentages?

In 2008 the US had 2.92 immigrants per 1,000 population.
In 2008 Germany had 2.19 immigrants per 1,000 population.

Wrong again. 18% > 12,66%. I trust the official, state statistics more than your source, sorry bud.

Net migration rate statistics - countries compared - NationMaster

Sorry - but they don't call America 'The Melting Pot' for nothing. Immigration is ingrained in our history.

Exactly what I stated as well. You are an immigrant as well, unless you are native American.

You need to become more informed about America's immigration history - I'd start around 1880 or so - you'll see significant immigration throughout that time through the present.

And when did I deny that?

America has long represented freedom and opportunity to masses across the world - which is why we have always been and always will be an immigration magnet. One can succeed on their abilities - it doesn't matter what their place of birth or nationality or the social status of their family - if you have abilities - you can succeed and move up the economic ladder.

Yes, and I never denied that. Never said the US was not a great country.
But you can achieve all these things in Germany or France or Switzerland as well. The Western World has great opportunities.
I don`t really understand what your point is overall.
The thread has nothing to do whether a person wants to live in the US or not.

My answers are in red.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenArlingtonPark View Post

AMERICANS AS A WHOLE ARE NOT IGNORANT.

Do not think the people of CD are a sampling of the American people. The people here just a hand full of blogger s, they thrive on trying to sway other peoples opinions.
I have asked this question if CD is a good representation of the US population. I hope not .
But I am not the one to answer that question, only people that actually live in the US.
Don`t get me wrong, I have visited the US many times, and I am familiar with your media, which btw, is very focused on US-related issues.

But no, I don`t think CD represents the majority of the US.
Some people come here because they know its a great place to recruit people for their cause. Unfortunately, some are very radical (stormfront, extreme christians).
Some people are retired and have lots of time to spend on this forum.
Then, you have people that try to educate others or are just looking for interesting conversations.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:17 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,617,185 times
Quote:
My answers are in red.
Your answers and statistics are meaningless unless you post a reference to your statistics - I have done that -twice.

You need to become more educated on how to provide references for your information... You need to be specific as to where you got your numbers so others can review the source..

Rule one in being an educated writer.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:24 AM

108 posts, read 61,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Good, hopefully they won't be breeding other "morans".
Speaking of "morans", it would help your credibility a little if you knew how to spell it. Just a little bit though, not much.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:28 AM

108 posts, read 61,270 times
who cares about the rest of the wrold really? Who? Unless you are a citizen of another country who cares?! What good does it do me personally to know anything about Peru or Zimbabwe? Where does that get me in life? It makes a ton more sense to concentrate on what is right in front of you so you can make the best life possible IN THE COUNTRY YOU LIVE IN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies