Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 08:00 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,617,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
I just realized that you have not answered one of my questions. Its kinda frustrating when I am the one answering your questions and you are not answering mine.
If you want a real conversation then try to answer the question, I was willing to do so as well. If you don`t want such a conversation, then just end it.
I am especially curious why you haven`t started conversations with all the US Americans that stated the same things I did.

Also your accusation that Europeans are arrogant because they are jealous is not a fact, its a theory of yours.
Just like assuming americans are ignorant, its a theory that needs to be backed up and who have never provided any evidence to that.

If you go back in the many pages of this thread, you will find where I state the reasons why I agree with the OP to some extent.
All your 'facts' about the so-called ignorance of Americans is purely anecdotal - in fact- much worse. You use the selective clips from a late night comedian talk show interviewing people on the street as justification for your opinion. They cherry-pick the most ignorant responses because they are 'funny' - if they chose responses where people knew the answers - it would bore their audience.

I disagree with those who posted in this thread that Americans are ignorant. Americans are no more ignorant than citizens from any other country...

I don't have unlimited free time - and don't need or want to have a conversation with everyone in this thread- so I focused on one response which appeared most arrogant to me... Subjective - yes... But so are the opinions in this thread - what else is new?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 08:21 PM

943 posts, read 782,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
All your 'facts' about the so-called ignorance of Americans is purely anecdotal - in fact- much worse. You use the selective clips from a late night comedian talk show interviewing people on the street as justification for your opinion. They cherry-pick the most ignorant responses because they are 'funny' - if they chose responses where people knew the answers - it would bore their audience.

I disagree with those who posted in this thread that Americans are ignorant. Americans are no more ignorant than citizens from any other country...

I don't have unlimited free time - and don't need or want to have a conversation with everyone in this thread- so I focused on one response which appeared most arrogant to me... Subjective - yes... But so are the opinions in this thread - what else is new?

Thanks for writing this. What I find amazing and irritating is how often times foreigners will talk about Americans getting informed about countries from TV and films, but often in the same sentence will "explain" the nature of US society or problems based on a TV or film!!!

Jay leno is a comedian on a late night show. I could understand if they(foreigners) saw an american documentary about americas supposed "unworldliness"---and made judgements. But these people are pointing to a late night variety show!!!

Old 12-31-2009, 08:47 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
It took foreign travel to make me aware of the rest of the world. Now, I'm forever hungry for news on any country I've traveled to whether it be in Central/South America, Europe or Asia.

Those countries I haven't been to I remain largely ignorant of unless it borders a country a visited.

It's not surprising, judging by how man Americans hold passports, that Americans are among the least adventuresome travelers in the world.

How rarely, outside the safe highly touristed sites, did I ever run across Americans on my travels throughout non-touristy areas of South/Central America. Lots of adventuresome Europeans, who are reputed to be among the most adventuresome travelers in the world.

Our limited vacation time allowed here, also helps to explain this.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:03 AM

2,735 posts, read 2,463,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
All your 'facts' about the so-called ignorance of Americans is purely anecdotal - in fact- much worse.
You use the selective clips from a late night comedian talk show interviewing people on the street as justification for your opinion. They cherry-pick the most ignorant responses because they are 'funny' - if they chose responses where people knew the answers - it would bore their audience.

Wrong. Ok, now you are showing your ignorance. Find me the post where I base my opinion on the Jay Leno clips? You won`t find it. Because I did not base my opinion on that.
I even said I have not watched them because I know there are just for comedic purposes.
Speaking of anecdotes. you were the one you thinks Western Europeans are arrogant, because you met Europeans that were like that and you assumed(!) they were jealous of the US. Anecdotes!

I spent more time in America than the average American in Europe.

This must be the 5th or 6th time, where you hold something against me with no actual proof. You can show me where I might be wrong, but its getting tired to hear bs like that in every of your post.
"you use the selection of clips...blabla" No I did not, and if you actually read all my post you would have seen that. But why find out?
Im done, bye.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:07 AM

2,735 posts, read 2,463,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
Thanks for writing this. What I find amazing and irritating is how often times foreigners will talk about Americans getting informed about countries from TV and films, but often in the same sentence will "explain" the nature of US society or problems based on a TV or film!!!

Jay leno is a comedian on a late night show. I could understand if they(foreigners) saw an american documentary about americas supposed "unworldliness"---and made judgements. But these people are pointing to a late night variety show!!!
I have never seen the Jay Leno clips.
I base my opinion on the time I spent in America, the time I spent with US media, the time I spent with Americans who told me about the US population, the time I spent when reading books about the US, the time I spent on CD and other forums...
I think it gives a good source to support my theory that a good portion of Americans are somehow ignorant towards the world.
Never said all are like that. And never said Europeans don`t have their prejudices, but this thread was about the US and the OP even said that he used the Jay Leno clips to have a start into a conversation. He even doesn`t believe that the clips are a 100% good represenation of the US population.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:19 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
Have you ever seen Jay Leno do his "Jaywalking" bit. He goes out into the street and asks people at random questions like what countries border the U.S.

He gets a lot of blank stares and some very wrong answers. He claims that he never has to interview more than 10-15 people to get some major league stupid answers.

I saw another segment where a man on the street asked several people if they could name a country that starts with the letter U. Well, there is Uganda and Uzebekestan, but these people didn't even guess their own country: the United States.

Why? Discuss.
why is the world so ignorant about Aemricans

Old 01-01-2010, 08:31 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,617,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
[/b]I think it gives a good source to support my theory that a good portion of Americans are somehow ignorant towards the world.
Never said all are like that. And never said Europeans don`t have their prejudices, but this thread was about the US and the OP even said that he used the Jay Leno clips to have a start into a conversation. He even doesn`t believe that the clips are a 100% good represenation of the US population.
See - you post your opinion that Americans are ignorant about the rest of the world based purely on anecdotal evidence...

I base my opinion that many (not all) Europeans are arrogant and look down on Americans based on the same type of anecdotal evidence as you use to justify your opinion that Americans are ignorant towards the world...

Our methods are the same - our results are just different - I can deal with that.

Happy New Year!

Old 01-10-2010, 08:31 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
OMG! Pickler is dumb and knows nothing about the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEP7u...layer_embedded

Old 01-10-2010, 11:53 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
Have you ever seen Jay Leno do his "Jaywalking" bit. He goes out into the street and asks people at random questions like what countries border the U.S.

He gets a lot of blank stares and some very wrong answers. He claims that he never has to interview more than 10-15 people to get some major league stupid answers.

I saw another segment where a man on the street asked several people if they could name a country that starts with the letter U. Well, there is Uganda and Uzebekestan, but these people didn't even guess their own country: the United States.

Why? Discuss.

Part of it is where the show is recorded- LA. Letterman gets equally as outrageous answers, as he is in New York. In liberal cities full of twits, one can expect ignorant provincial answers.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,711 times
- Weak educational system
- Corporate-controlled media
- Too much interference from religion
- Dysfunctional / broken families
- Arrogance towards the rest of the world
- Excessive materialism
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies