Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 07:02 AM

2,735 posts, read 2,463,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's pretty simple.

I think most of the ignorance stems from isolation.

Europe is a bunch of countries glommed together in almost the same amount of space we have to stick all our states (barring the barren icy reaches of the Scandanavian countries). France or Germany, large countries 'on the continent' are pretty much the size of Texas.

We also sit far across the ocean.

For a long time, communications weren't such that you could easily interact with and learn about Europe or Asia at all. In fact, until the last 50 years, LA to New York was a bit of a stretch.

Now that we have satellites, internet, and easily mobile global commerce, I think this is changing. I think you will see the awareness of the general populace change, as well.
This thread is about the WHOLE WORLD!
Not just Europe.
Australia is even more isolated than the US. Canada only borders the US.
But aren`t there any diffenrences between Canadians,Aussies and Americans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 07:03 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,617,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
You will see that people come to this thread and they will justify the ignorance of the US toward the World.
I find that pretty sad. I live in Europe and I am very interested in other countries.
I would say that people who have never left the US, or even their own state, are naturally more ignorant than people who have travelled the world.
The world is changing and the US has lost their Nr. 1 status, so I guess you`ll have to start interacting with other countries and cultures.

In some discussions I tried to provide some knowledge about the political situation in my country, but some posters insisted they knew more about my country after reading one, biased, news article about the situation.
Some people just don`t want to be informed, and rather live in a bubble.

Also, I have learned on CD, that many people try to break down complicated issues into something very simplistic. E.g. you see a lot of generalization about other countries and cultures.
Your post seems to have a lot of bigotry and animosity towards the US.

I've traveled extensively - including to Europe - and your attitude does not surprise me in the least. Many people I've met in countries like Britain and France tend to be very arrogant towards America - and it seems when you get to the essence of it - they are jealous of our 'number one' status over the decades - and are happy to see us decline - although whether that decline is really happening is debatable...

I find eastern Europeans to treat American with more adoration than scorn... They look at us as a beacon of freedom to the rest of the world.

So - I guess every country has it's own prejudices - but I would not gloat over our 'nbr 1' rank diminishing - as you seem to hope for. I clearly remember in the late 60's when it was a 'done deal' that Japan was going to surpass us by 1990 - and look at the basket-case of an economy they've been over the past 20 years - and how we have distanced ourselves even further from them...

Nope - America is not down and out - not yet - despite the wishes of many...

Guess we'll be a thorn in the side of folks for quite a while to come...

Old 12-26-2009, 07:07 AM

639 posts, read 1,142,772 times
Maybe ignorant America should stop contributing gazillions of dollars to countries we know nothing about!!! Maybe we should get rid of the liberal hierarchy in education concentrating on liberal indoctrination from Kindergarten on!!! America should start putting all the zillions of dollars we spread out to all of these countries back into our OWN country (as long as we change the current educational system in this country that is more focused on making everyone "EQUAL" than letting kids who can excel do so!!!). More often than not I believe we would not be as bevevolent had we known what the country was all about. It's not "IN" anymore to love America......hey, that's okay......I'll always love this country even through the disastrous path we are now voluntarily (sarcasm) being forced to walk down!!!!

Old 12-26-2009, 07:12 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I question your figures.

Not one person? Seems to me you're extrapolating rather extremely here.

There are a lot of geographically challenged individuals in any nation you'd care to look.
I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings skoro.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
Your post seems to have a lot of bigotry and animosity towards the US.

I've traveled extensively - including to Europe - and your attitude does not surprise me in the least. Many people I've met in countries like Britain and France tend to be very arrogant towards America - and it seems when you get to the essence of it - they are jealous of our 'number one' status over the decades - and are happy to see us decline - although whether that decline is really happening is debatable...

I find eastern Europeans to treat American with more adoration than scorn... They look at us as a beacon of freedom to the rest of the world.

So - I guess every country has it's own prejudices - but I would not gloat over our 'nbr 1' rank diminishing - as you seem to hope for. I clearly remember in the late 60's when it was a 'done deal' that Japan was going to surpass us by 1990 - and look at the basket-case of an economy they've been over the past 20 years - and how we have distanced ourselves even further from them...

Nope - America is not down and out - not yet - despite the wishes of many...

Guess we'll be a thorn in the side of folks for quite a while to come...
My view on the US has changed in the last decade. My first trip to the US was in the 90s and I loved it. I read many books about the US and I was very fascinated by it.
But when I grew older I realized its not all that great, that doesn`t mean that I like other countries more than the US, but this thread is about the US.
And no, I am not jealous. I live in a region that is wealthier than the US. We have a higher standard of living, but honestly, that is not that important to me (believe it or not).

Actually, the reason I disliked the US in the last years, is because its not what it once was.
If you look at my posts, youll see that I support Ron Paul, who follows your Constititution more than any other politician.
I think the US is the country of freedom, thats why I am against the Patriot Act, which is against personal freedom. Just like Ron Paul.
I also dislike many of US culture, that has emerged in Europe as well, like the Fast Food culture.
Until the year 2000, the US was pretty popular amongst Europeans, but it changed after Bush took office.
So, you are not right with your assumption that I am jealous or hate the US.

Also you make lots of assumptions that I hope this or that. I do not "hope" that a country loses its Nr.1 status, its indeed a fact that the US is not the wealthiest nation any longer.

If you want to have a dialogue with me, leave your assumptions about me behind you.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:20 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,617,345 times
Quote:
My view on the US has changed in the last decade. My first trip to the US was in the 90s and I loved it. I read many books about the US and I was very fascinated by it.
But when I grew older I realized its not all that great, that doesn`t mean that I like other countries more than the US, but this thread is about the US.
And no, I am not jealous. I live in a region that is wealthier than the US. We have a higher standard of living, but honestly, that is not that important to me (believe it or not).

Actually, the reason I disliked the US in the last years, is because its not what it once was.
If you look at my posts, youll see that I support Ron Paul, who follows your Constititution more than any other politician.
I think the US is the country of freedom, thats why I am against the Patriot Act, which is against personal freedom. Just like Ron Paul.
I also dislike many of US culture, that has emerged in Europe as well, like the Fast Food culture.
Until the year 2000, the US was pretty popular amongst Europeans, but it changed after Bush took office.
So, you are not right with your assumption that I am jealous or hate the US.

Also you make lots of assumptions that I hope this or that. I do not "hope" that a country loses its Nr.1 status, its indeed a fact that the US is not the wealthiest nation any longer.

If you want to have a dialogue with me, leave your assumptions about me behind you.
Maybe you should leave behind the rude, provocative statements like: the US has lost their number one status and will now have to interact with other countries.

We've been interacting with other countries extensively since the early 1900's - maybe you should catch up on your history...

I'd be glad to have a discussion with you - but first tell me what country you are from...

Old 12-26-2009, 07:20 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,505 times
Quote:
Who wants to unite the World?

Do you really speak on behalf of 300 Million Americans when you say the rest of the World is a nightmare? I doubt it.

Who is looking toward America?
have you looked around where you live?where I live I see many people of differnt nationalities.I come from mexico and I can personally asure you that millions of mexicans are looking toward the U.S.A. the U.S.A was founded by people who had nightmare in other nation and still today people are running away from their nightmares to the U.S.A

Old 12-26-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
Maybe you should leave behind the rude, provocative statements like: the US has lost their number one status and will now have to interact with other countries.

We've been interacting with other countries extensively since the early 1900's - maybe you should catch up on your history...

I'd be glad to have a discussion with you - but first tell me what country you are from...
Why is it important?
Let me tell you that I have more than one nationality.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:22 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
This thread is about the WHOLE WORLD!
Not just Europe.
Australia is even more isolated than the US. Canada only borders the US.
But aren`t there any diffenrences between Canadians,Aussies and Americans?
Look, I lived abroad growing up. In Indonesia. As Americans there, we got to know people from all over the world because it was an international environment and we were forced and flung together. We went to school together, private clubs together, vacationed and went to the country together.

Traveling abroad extensively during my youth (70s, 80s), I know for a fact that people in other countries were as clueless about the U.S. as we were about them. Easily.

As for Aussies and SE Asia...during those times, they got a lot of products and press from Europe - more so than American (at least the prevalance represented as such). This may be because there were old colonial ties there, but I can tell you, my Aussie friends knew more about Europe than the U.S.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
have you looked around where you live?where I live I see many people of differnt nationalities.I come from mexico and I can personally asure you that millions of mexicans are looking toward the U.S.A. the U.S.A was founded by people who had nightmare in other nation and still today people are running away from their nightmares to the U.S.A
You didn`t answer my question. You said that Americans think the rest of the World is a nightmare, and I doubt that all of Americans think so.
Where I live I also see many people with different nationalities.
I am also an immigrant in a country that has many immigrants.
This thread is not about whether the US is a good place to live or not (it surely is), the thread is about why (apparently or not) do not care what is going on outside the US.
I am glad you found a place you like to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies