U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 07:31 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,443,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
Why is it important?
Let me tell you that I have more than one nationality.
Because it is easy to talk down to America and Americans when you hide your nationality from the discussion.... it's a no-lose situation to engage in - anyone can do it.

If you want to have an open discussion - then I think knowing what country you are from is important to keep the critical remarks from being one-sided...

If you don't want to fine - but then don't criticize someone's country unless you are open to criticism yourself.

I, like many other Americans, have long ago grown tired of the endless criticism of us from the rest of the world.

I agree with a prior poster - we should radically cut back on aid to other countries - especially Europe and Japan - and concentrate on taking care of our own problems for a few generations before we attempt to be '9-1-1' for the world again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 07:34 AM

55,590 posts, read 54,188,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
It's hard to say. My experiences on CD do not reflect my experiences off line. That's not to say my off line life can be generalized onto the rest of the US. What's interesting to note, tho, is that if we look at individual states vs the entire country, we get a very different picture. For example, Japan and South Korea are leading in education for the maths and sciences (or maybe it's just maths, I can't recall). The state of Massachusetts was ranking third in the world even tho the US is far behind for a western nation. I recently heard Singapore has put us in 4th.

The Leno skit was funny, but he certainly wasn't walking the streets of Cambridge. As best as I could tell, outside his visit to a graduation day some where (painful to watch), was that he was in tourist locations.
Bear in mind that he isn't likely to show many of the people who answered correctly, because that would not be interesting or funny.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:39 AM

2,735 posts, read 2,147,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
Because it is easy to talk down to America and Americans when you hide your nationality from the discussion.... it's a no-lose situation to engage in - anyone can do it.

If you want to have an open discussion - then I think knowing what country you are from is important to keep the critical remarks from being one-sided...

If you don't want to fine - but then don't criticize someone's country unless you are open to criticism yourself.

I, like many other Americans, have long ago grown tired of the endless criticism of us from the rest of the world.

I agree with a prior poster - we should radically cut back on aid to other countries - especially Europe and Japan - and concentrate on taking care of our own problems for a few generations before we attempt to be '9-1-1' for the world again.
I remember that your president asked Germany to send more troops to Afghanistan.

But again, you assume something that I have not written. I did not say I won`t tell you, I asked why it was important. I wanted to know before Ill tell you.
I am from Poland, but I live in Germany. So I have two nationalities from countries that are very different and that have a troubled history.
I live in a country with many other immigrants.

I can understand that you are tired of the criticism, but don`t you see that some of it is legitimate?

Old 12-26-2009, 07:40 AM

2,897 posts, read 5,262,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
Have you ever seen Jay Leno do his "Jaywalking" bit. He goes out into the street and asks people at random questions like what countries border the U.S.

He gets a lot of blank stares and some very wrong answers. He claims that he never has to interview more than 10-15 people to get some major league stupid answers.

I saw another segment where a man on the street asked several people if they could name a country that starts with the letter U. Well, there is Uganda and Uzebekestan, but these people didn't even guess their own country: the United States.

Why? Discuss.
Not one of these again.

Jay Leno is not much different than Jerry Springer. Springer sought out those individuals that he knew would maximize controversy and therefore ratings: the poorest caliber Whites and Blacks. Those with IQ's bordering on imbecilic, racists, defiant teenage ghetto mamas (of all colours), men with kids from multiple Moms, crackheads, the inbred, etc. They were sad and Springer was disgusting, yet his show soared in the ratings proving once and for all, that people enjoy watching people more miserable than themselves.

However the point is that he assembled this cast of castoffs and freaks for the ratings. Leno is no different. If he interviewed 10 out of 10 Americans who said the right and intelligent thing, he would drop the bit in a heartbeart.

THe only questions are
1. Why would an intelligent person ever think Leno bits offer a good enough sample from which to draw inference?

2. Why should an intelligent American have any interesting in knowing about Uzbekistan or a US state unless it is relevant to their lives? It is more important for software programmer in Seattle to know about the ins and outs of Silicon Valley than the demographics of South Carolina. Or for a South Carolinian to understand the impact of the Civil War than for someone from say Idaho or Northern Nevada, locations for which the Civil War's legacy is close to nil.

3. Have you ever spoken to Europeans on Europe? Asians on Asia? Latin Americans on Latin America? The collective ignorance is off the scal--even amongst the educated. No, Americans are not less knowledgeable about geography, just more specifically focused. Greek-Americans will know more about Greece than any European, save for Greeks, etc.

4. Life is short and one must train one's brain with some forethought. Power memorizing the geography of the world is of little importance. Many Americans prefer to be knowledgeable with their hands, their business sense or their creative innovative abilities==at least the ones I know...

5. This is a free country, including the right to not be educated in some faux intellectual sense. There are plenty of successful entrepreneurs who can tell you everything about the fashion of Barbie and know nothing of their own state.

But do you know what would be really sad? Being able to discuss in detail about Uganda, Uzbekistan, and Maine, but not being able to compete for any kind of job or to pursue a meaningful career and life. The former is fun to discuss at the coffeehouse, while the latter threatens one's survival.

S.

Last edited by Sandpointian; 12-26-2009 at 07:48 AM..

Old 12-26-2009, 07:42 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,293,318 times
Quote:
My view on the US has changed in the last decade. My first trip to the US was in the 90s and I loved it. I read many books about the US and I was very fascinated by it.
But when I grew older I realized its not all that great, that doesn`t mean that I like other countries more than the US, but this thread is about the US.
And no, I am not jealous. I live in a region that is wealthier than the US. We have a higher standard of living, but honestly, that is not that important to me (believe it or not).

Actually, the reason I disliked the US in the last years, is because its not what it once was.
If you look at my posts, youll see that I support Ron Paul, who follows your Constititution more than any other politician.
I think the US is the country of freedom, thats why I am against the Patriot Act, which is against personal freedom. Just like Ron Paul.
I also dislike many of US culture, that has emerged in Europe as well, like the Fast Food culture.
Until the year 2000, the US was pretty popular amongst Europeans, but it changed after Bush took office.
So, you are not right with your assumption that I am jealous or hate the US.

Also you make lots of assumptions that I hope this or that. I do not "hope" that a country loses its Nr.1 status, its indeed a fact that the US is not the wealthiest nation any longer.

If you want to have a dialogue with me, leave your assumptions about me behind you.
you have issues with people assuming things yet your agenda is based on a lot of ignorance. I'd say that's pretty brilliant...
and I really could care less about you, but what's up with the secrecy on your location? Does it make you feel a little more important or something? Where I'm from, which is clearly marked in the location part by my user name, we call that lame.
BTW, a girl in Acapulco once told me this. Citizens of the U.S. are not the only Americans. It is a term for any resident of the Americas, which stretch from Canada to the southern ends of Argentina and Chile. The continents that hold these Americans are the two American continents, North and South America. I had never thought of it that way and have never called myself an American since that day, even though I am technically one. I prefer the term US citizen and most languages that I know refer to us with a term like that.

edit- I see you finally admitted where you are from, but it was still lame to drag it out that far.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:42 AM

8,388 posts, read 8,321,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings skoro.

Please reserve your sorrow for how easily your opinion is manipulated by comedy clips.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:43 AM

11,665 posts, read 8,256,923 times
Quote:
Smart answer.
If I as an European take CD as a representation of the american people, then yes, the majority is very uneducated or ignorant about the World outside of the US.
But only an American could probably tell me, if CD is indeed a good representation, maybe you can help me out.
The difference is that, given the bellicose history of Europe, Europeans have to know what's going on outside the borders of their nations. It was only 60 odd years ago where Europe saw a 25 year period that saw over 100 million of it's people mudered, tortured, enslaved, and genocided.
That and the fact that half of European nations can be biked across in a couple of days.
In the same land area that Europe has 50 nations, we have three.

I might add that in the same period of time that the nations of Europe have seen literally hundreds of governmental upheavals and constitutional overhauls we Americans have seen.... None!

So, pardon us if we don't look to Europe for our examples of who to be.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:46 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,765,932 times
Quote:
Can you show me where I said that?
Where did I assume "that all Americans are ignorant and know nothing about the outside world"?
This is CD, you don't have to say something for someone to say that you did.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:47 AM

2,735 posts, read 2,147,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
you have issues with people assuming things yet your agenda is based on a lot of ignorance. I'd say that's pretty brilliant...
and I really could care less about you, but what's up with the secrecy on your location? Does it make you feel a little more important or something? Where I'm from, which is clearly marked in the location part by my user name, we call that lame.
BTW, a girl in Acapulco once told me this. Citizens of the U.S. are not the only Americans. It is a term for any resident of the Americas, which stretch from Canada to the southern ends of Argentina and Chile. The continents that hold these Americans are the two American continents, North and South America. I had never thought of it that way and have never called myself an American since that day, even though I am technically one. I prefer the term US citizen and most languages that I know refer to us with a term like that.

edit- I see you finally admitted where you are from, but it was still lame to drag it out that far.
Drag it out that far? I posted only ONE post with the question why that was so important, also I have many many times in my other posts told people that I live in Germany. Maybe you should have taken the time and looked that up. And because I have two nationalities I just put "Europe" as a location. I also don`t think its that important to have that in your profile, many people don`t have it in their profile.
Should I also tell you how much I weight?

Don`t blame this "American" thing on me, the OP chose the thread title, and its pretty clear that he meant US Americans.
I know what you are talking about, I have lived in "America" as well.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:48 AM

2,047 posts, read 1,349,540 times
Quote:
You didn`t answer my question. You said that Americans think the rest of the World is a nightmare, and I doubt that all of Americans think so.
Where I live I also see many people with different nationalities.
I am also an immigrant in a country that has many immigrants.
This thread is not about whether the US is a good place to live or not (it surely is), the thread is about why (apparently or not) do not care what is going on outside the US.
I am glad you found a place you like to live in.
let me try this again. we are a nation founded by people OF the world we know whats going on in the rest of the world.really we know. that is why we are here in america
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies