U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Status: ""a mind that understands science"" (set 8 days ago)

18,811 posts, read 12,121,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
Have you ever seen Jay Leno do his "Jaywalking" bit. He goes out into the street and asks people at random questions like what countries border the U.S.

He gets a lot of blank stares and some very wrong answers. He claims that he never has to interview more than 10-15 people to get some major league stupid answers.

I saw another segment where a man on the street asked several people if they could name a country that starts with the letter U. Well, there is Uganda and Uzebekestan, but these people didn't even guess their own country: the United States.

Why? Discuss.

Most people never travel outside of thier own cities, let alone the US. East coast liberals are some of the most provincial hillbillies I have ever met. They rarely travel to other parts of the US and heaven forbid would not go overseas. Why would they? Philly, Boston, Baltimore and NYC are crowded and filthy. Who could ask for anything more? It is like observing hogs in their slop, totally unaware of lifestyles a stone's throw from thier pens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 12:00 PM

11,665 posts, read 8,256,923 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
No, not really. I have lived on your continent before. I have been to the states many times. I know how life is here and "over there".
I also don`t think you can speak on behalf of 300 million people.
Neither can you when you express the opinion that Americans are ignorant about the rest of the world.

Quote:
Edit: From my first post : You will see that people come to this thread and they will justify the ignorance of the US toward the World.
Just stating reasons is all.
Sorry to tell you this but it is simply not important for the average American to know what the Germans are doing. Europe? Yes. But individual European nations? No.
I would also be willing to bet that Americans, on average, are a lot busier than their European or Australian counterpart.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:03 PM

19,081 posts, read 21,834,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Most people never travel outside of thier own cities, let alone the US. East coast liberals are some of the most provincial hillbillies I have ever met. They rarely travel to other parts of the US and heaven forbid would not go overseas. Why would they? Philly, Boston, Baltimore and NYC are crowded and filthy. Who could ask for anything more? It is like observing hogs in their slop, totally unaware of lifestyles a stone's throw from thier pens.
I've travelled and lived all over the US. The Boston/Cambridge area has more to offer, imo, than most US cities/spaces I've been to. Tho, I wouldn't call myself a liberal.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:24 PM

13,300 posts, read 10,466,428 times
It is very unfortunate that Americans have the rep for being ignorant. Sadly due to the 2x election of a president who is not known for his intelligence gave the world the impression that we as americans are not too bright. I will not simply extend this stupidity tag just for Bush, but for most of congress and the senate for starting a war and not know who or why (real reason please) we are there in the first place. When asked many of the politicians could not tell the difference between a ****e and a sunni muslim. Americans especially the ones in large cities who have never ventured out of their comfort zones, know very little about things that occur outside of their state neverless outside of the country. I believe that maybe one out of ten people can tell you the capital of more than 10 states. So knowing this how can you expect for these same people to tell you what is going on in a country that they can't spell nevermind where it is or whats going on there politically. I don't blame the schools or the parents, it is up to the individuals themselves to WANT to learn what is going on outside of the world. I believe that many of the closed minded people are the very same ones that never experienced any other culture outside of what is told to them thru negative stereotypes. I grew up in the "hood" but I traveled alot with my parents and gained alot of experience with dealing with various people and cultures. I think that is what made me the person that I'm today......the military did not hurt either. I have heard people say to others that they should "go back to their own country" whenever a cultural disagreement came up and I wondered do they even know anything about the country that they were referring to?

To prove my point ask ten people to name capitals of as many states as they could or to name the borders of at least three states and you would see what I mean.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:24 PM

9,390 posts, read 17,314,904 times
Why are Americans so ignorant about the rest of the world?

We're ignorant about our own country; why should we not be about the rest of the world? We are a nation of a lot of ignorant people. I placed a telephone order awhile back. I'm from Wyoming. The saleswoman, from MA, asks me, "Wyoming... that's in Colorado, right?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
... New Yorkers and Californians are more exposed to the outside world than people from Kansas or Iowa. California and New York are major ports of call and have large immigrant communities. Thus, there is more intermingling with different cultures....
Interesting that you should say this. I was born in Kansas and raised in Iowa. I've also lived briefly in Texas and Alaska and spent most of my life in Wyoming. I think most people I know in the midwest and Rocky Mountain states agree that people in California and New York are the ones most isolated in their own little world.

My late wife was a prime example of this. She was born in Brooklyn and raised across the river in northern New Jersey. Aside from a year of college in Iowa, a weekend in Ohio, and a couple years in Germany, she never left the confines of New York/New Jersey until she met me in her late 40s.

Interestingly, her father was a merchant marine captain and sailed the world's seas. Her grandfather was an author of many successful western novels. Neither had seen any of the U.S. other than the eastern seaboard.

I know that many from New York and California do travel the U.S. and the world extensively, but her kind of isolation is not that uncommon in these major metro areas, but it's almost unheard of in the midwest and Rocky Mountain west.

However, I think if we talk about travel abroad, those in NYC absolutely are more apt to do that. They can fly to London in the time it takes us to drive to the nearest large city, and it needn't cost them any more to do it. It's just unfortunate that in so doing, they may spend a whole lifetime and never see the great plains nor the Rocky Mountains.

Quite naturally, if you've never been to an area and never expect to visit it, your interest in that area will be nil. As a country, we're still isolationists -- even from ourselves.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:33 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,750,374 times
Good question

I have no idea why Liberals are so ignorant .... of the rest of the world

Old 12-26-2009, 12:42 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,977,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Why are Americans so ignorant about the rest of the world?

We're ignorant about our own country; why should we not be about the rest of the world? We are a nation of a lot of ignorant people. I placed a telephone order awhile back. I'm from Wyoming. The saleswoman, from MA, asks me, "Wyoming... that's in Colorado, right?"

Interesting that you should say this. I was born in Kansas and raised in Iowa. I've also lived briefly in Texas and Alaska and spent most of my life in Wyoming. I think most people I know in the midwest and Rocky Mountain states agree that people in California and New York are the ones most isolated in their own little world.

My late wife was a prime example of this. She was born in Brooklyn and raised across the river in northern New Jersey. Aside from a year of college in Iowa, a weekend in Ohio, and a couple years in Germany, she never left the confines of New York/New Jersey until she met me in her late 40s.

Interestingly, her father was a merchant marine captain and sailed the world's seas. Her grandfather was an author of many successful western novels. Neither had seen any of the U.S. other than the eastern seaboard.

I know that many from New York and California do travel the U.S. and the world extensively, but her kind of isolation is not that uncommon in these major metro areas, but it's almost unheard of in the midwest and Rocky Mountain west.

However, I think if we talk about travel abroad, those in NYC absolutely are more apt to do that. They can fly to London in the time it takes us to drive to the nearest large city, and it needn't cost them any more to do it. It's just unfortunate that in so doing, they may spend a whole lifetime and never see the great plains nor the Rocky Mountains.

Quite naturally, if you've never been to an area and never expect to visit it, your interest in that area will be nil. As a country, we're still isolationists -- even from ourselves.
I do sort of agree with what you said there. I look at it more with cities, but plenty of Americans like to make it like they know so much more about the world when they are actually just stuck in their own little world. (if that makes any sense)

Old 12-26-2009, 12:44 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,977,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
Its off-topic but I especially am fascinated by L.A. I have been there, but I don`t feel like I have seen much of the place, because its so huge.
People always label California as a liberal place, but then the governour is a Republican and people voted against the gays right to marry.
I know OC is a very conservative county, whereas L.A. and SF are more liberal.
I have visited NY many times also. Feel free to write me a mail if you want to know more about my visits and my knowledge about the places.
Do you feel that people around the world know as much as they think they do about the states?

Old 12-26-2009, 01:17 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,282,124 times
I could, on my own, learn plenty about the rest of the world....but why should the rest of the world matter to ME? I live in a small Florida town, I don't even care about the states that border mine (Alabama and Georgia, by the way). I only learn about those things I take an interest in knowing--and there's a lot of other things other than world geography and world history. I did wonderfully in those subjects--as I did in any subject I took in school--but I have no interest in them.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:21 PM

300 posts, read 375,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I could, on my own, learn plenty about the rest of the world....but why should the rest of the world matter to ME? I live in a small Florida town, I don't even care about the states that border mine (Alabama and Georgia, by the way). I only learn about those things I take an interest in knowing--and there's a lot of other things other than world geography and world history. I did wonderfully in those subjects--as I did in any subject I took in school--but I have no interest in them.
I'd like to ask you why you are not interested in the topics you noted?

Personally, I have a great fascination with other countries, other cultures, other peoples - and have been lucky enough to travel to many different countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies