Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 09:18 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I didn't have insurance for 10 years when I first started working. I paid cash for any medical services and that included a few broken bones and hospital trips. Not everyone lives in fear of a high hospital bill.

Not every hospital trip is $800K you know.
True but to the extent that there are $800K visits to the hospital by the uninsured the public winds up paying for that to the tune of Billions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 09:33 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
My argument for not mandating car insurance.

I know many good drivers (including myself) that really did not bother with car insurance for many years. We paid out of our pockets whenever we needed a repair.

I'm talking about the independent business owners. The economics of having a car insurance just did not make sense.

So, with taking care of my own car - Driving defensively for self and family, wearing our seat belts, not running to a dealership for any dent or scratch....Somehow most of us survived quite well.

So, looking back over 30 years, someone like myself spent about $60,000 - $70,000 on car repairs (including needed tune ups). But, it was more practical than getting the insurance plans, that cost about $400/month (even 20 years ago) - That would have cost about $140,000 over 30 years.

And yes, when I paid cash to the mechanics, even for collision damage, they took the cash payments into consideration (the dealerships were the problem, charging about $400 - $500 for a repair).

But, we had the choice...And, the savings helped.

It is true that perhaps many of us were lucky that nothing catasthropic happened...But, I think that is true for many that do watch what they are doing with their lives.

So, here we are with the new care insurance plan, and the good drivers will not have that choice...Or, am I wrong and there are exceptions?

I imagine that many people that have started businesses, and have had ups and downs in their businesses, will agree that $400, $500 or whatever per month can be a problem. With a small business, believe me, sometimes you barely have money for basics in life....

So, the good drivers may have a hell of a time with this burden if they are starting a new business, or if they are working for a start-up company that may not offer health care.

Now people with my driving abilty, are going to be supplemented by the bad drivers. I don't think it's fair.

You're damn right I'm taking it, but it is an unfair situation.

It's ironic...The good drivers were so enthusiastic about this new government...And here we are (the older ones) getting the benefits on this one.

One can say that it is fair that the burden be shared (to help the older generation)...But, I just hope that the formulas (schedule for all of this to come into place) does not dampen opportunity for good drivers to start new businesses - especially small, independent businesses.
Why is it that so many here think that auto insurance that is required is only to cover the costs of those who you hit, if you do. Nobody ever told anybody that they had to have collision insurance or anything like that. I have paid liability only on a number of my vehicles when they get too old to get paid for. LIABILITY just isn't what you are talking about here.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:38 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Why is it that so many here think that auto insurance that is required is only to cover the costs of those who you hit, if you do. Nobody ever told anybody that they had to have collision insurance or anything like that. I have paid liability only on a number of my vehicles when they get too old to get paid for. LIABILITY just isn't what you are talking about here.
Why is it that so many here can't see the difference between a dented fender and a dented skull?

Old 12-26-2009, 09:45 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,165 times
Default How much you know about me...without knowing me!

Quote:
No you didn't pay out of your pockets when "you needed care."

What you are effectively bragging about is paying a doc-n-the box $50 bucks to cure you of the sniffles.

What you really did was roll the dice, and hope a catastrophic injury or illness didn't strike you. Winding up at the hospital door racking up $800K in medical bills you will stiff the medical providers for.

They pass the cost of insurance deabeats on to the taxpayer and the insured in the form of higher premiums.
Firstly, like many people in the world, I had no history of any medical problems in my family - No one even had their appendix out. And they all lived into their 80's.

So, I certainly thought for many years about the probablility of problems arising - and would have acted responsibly if need be.

You of course wouldn't know that...But you go ahead and judge people anyway. As a matter of fact, you create a whole history based on...I don't know what?

Secondly, I imagine that you never started anything on your own...Like a business venture. If you did, you would know the mentality of people that do things on their own.

And yes...There certainly are people that start businesses, and include health insurance...But there are many that don't...And I am not hearing of hundreds of thousands of "self employed" people leaving $800 thousand bills. It seems to be many other groups of people - less fortunate people that are poor, or get extremely ill from things such as aids, diseases like MS, victims of crimes or other tragic events.

So, your generalization of people like me is just plain old bullcrap.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
My argument for not mandating car insurance.

I know many good drivers (including myself) that really did not bother with car insurance for many years. We paid out of our pockets whenever we needed a repair.

One can say that it is fair that the burden be shared (to help the older generation)...But, I just hope that the formulas (schedule for all of this to come into place) does not dampen opportunity for good drivers to start new businesses - especially small, independent businesses.
Oh, how it flows.....

Cute...But no kewpie doll.

Auto insurance is a bit different...

Once you get into a car, you are completely in others hands....The other drivers.

So, yes, I certainly had auto insurance..including the medical coverage.

Your post is pointless.

Last edited by migee; 12-26-2009 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: mis-spelling

Old 12-26-2009, 09:55 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
Oh, how it flows.....

Cute...But no kewpie doll.

Auto insurance is a bit different...

Once you get into a car, you are completely in others hands....The other drivers.

So, yes, I certainly had auto insurance..including the medical coverage.

You post is pointless.
Oh so when you drive without health insurance "you are completely in others hands" as you say?

And when you get massive head trauma from the auto wreck caused by another driver (not yourself of course) and can never work again who will pay for your medical bills?????

Old 12-26-2009, 10:09 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
That is all well and good assuming you do not end up with heart problems or cancer, which can often mean a choice between 6 figure hospital bills or death.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:10 PM

Default The insurance company...

Quote:
Oh so when you drive without health insurance "you are completely in others hands" as you say?

And when you get massive head trauma from the auto wreck caused by another driver (not yourself of course) and can never work again who will pay for your medical bills?????
Actually I had a very good auto policy..It was an umbrella policy for $1 million.

I think things would have worked out OK...

I thought out many things...

Anyway...the original purpose of my thread was to stimulate some thought. or an exchange if information, about how younger people will be treated under the new health plan.

It's so nice of you to think of me personally.

It reminds me that I should have mentioned that I did have an ulcer.

I was once married to a manic depressant...She had a compulsive personality...That almost drove me into the hospital...She would argue about anything...completely unrelated to whatever we were doing or saying...She just had to argue about something...I could never understand it...

Anyway...I left her, and things got better...My ulcer healed.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:19 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I'm 27 and I disagree. First off the bill does have subsidies in it for those who can't afford it. Secondly, the fact that it is extremely hard for someone who is young to obtain health insurance due to the current astronomical costs involved if they are unable to get it through work. Hell its difficult for anyone to afford insurance if they are unable to obtain it through work. Having insurance and the ability to receive preventative care is important regardless if you are in your 20's, 40's 60's or 80's its important. The earlier something is caught, the earlier its treated, and that saves lives as well as $$$. On top of that if something does happen and someone can't afford treatment (regardless of age) everyone else is paying for it as it is. I personally don't think the reform goes far enough, I would have much rather have seen a Public Option, but this is still much better than the status quo and what as being offered by the other side which does virtually nothing to address the uninsured.

This bill is going to redistribute wealth from young to old. Because of the regulations and restrictions, younger and healthy people will pay more in premiums and those on the more risky side and older may either pay a bit less or see stabilization. This bill is a disaster: it has been said that it contains anywhere from 14-20 tax hikes. Even the CBO said they double-counted the Medicare cuts, which probably won't take place (to the full extent) to begin with. In addition, Physicians' fees through Medicare are slashed and never raised during the time frame. Rumor has it that there will be a separate bill to not slash Doctors' pay and the pay was slashed just so the CBO could score it 'deficit neutral' or a reduction. Anyone who thinks this bill is good for the Healthcare system or budget needs to stop with the Kool-Aid.

Tort reform is not even addressed, as the trial lawyers own the (D) party, alongside Soros, MoveOn and the other wackos.

Think about the bill.

Tort reform? Nope.
Selling insurance across state lines? Nope.
Changing the tax codes so individuals can write off premiums? Nope.
Stripping down mandates allowing for more basic/cheaper plans? Nope.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:24 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Think about the bill.

Tort reform? Nope.
Selling insurance across state lines? Nope.
Changing the tax codes so individuals can write off premiums? Nope.
Stripping down mandates allowing for more basic/cheaper plans? Nope.
38 states have enacted tort reform. It hasn't brought down costs. Indeed, in Nevada, right after tort reform was enacted, the insurance companies requested a rate increase

Selling across state lines won't do a thing. It may make matters worse as companies flock to the states with the least regulation.

Tax write offs are no different than subsidies. There are subsidies in the bill.

What mandates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies