Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2010, 09:56 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,514,896 times

Advertisements

Here is the latest study published in this month's edition of Pediatrics magazine:

Prenatal and Infant Exposure to Thimerosal From Vaccines and Immunoglobulins and Risk of Autism -- Price et al. 126 (4): 656 -- Pediatrics

Quote:
CONCLUSIONS In our study of MCO members, prenatal and early-life exposure to ethylmercury from thimerosal-containing vaccines and immunoglobulin preparations was not related to increased risk of ASDs.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:04 PM

36,972 posts, read 40,972,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

Most excellent article!

Old 10-11-2010, 11:17 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,268,063 times
What's the prevalence to Measles, Mumps, Rubella and the Big Whoop compared to today's prevalence to autism?

Maybe the CDC should begin work on a vaccine for autism.

Some peop . . I say, some people just had too much silver nitrate poured on their eyeballs when they were born.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:45 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,250,177 times
wow, you just proved in that post that you don't know what vaccines are for or their purpose.

if you haven't noticed, Autism isn't a disease. This should give you a clue as to what vaccines are for.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:06 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,422,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Nim, if you do not mind my asking, what are your beliefs about vaccines? (You said you weren't vaccinated because of your parents" beliefs.) How about now?
My beliefs aren't set in stone but I believe vaccines are for the most part necessary. At the same time I know the medical field does have a way of exaggerating risk and creating hype, so we probably get more vaccines than we really need because of hype. I don't really know about any link between vaccines and autism. I know a lot of autistic people but they don't talk about their vaccinations, so I'm not aware of any link personally, and I don't know how much of the vaccine/autism debate is real and how much of it is hype.

I'll probably get my kids vaccinated. Chances are the diseases they protect are worse than autism. (Maybe I'm biased and just don't see autism as all that bad since I'm on the spectrum and live with two other people who are too.)

Old 10-12-2010, 07:17 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,514,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
What's the prevalence to Measles, Mumps, Rubella and the Big Whoop compared to today's prevalence to autism?
Due to the success of vaccines so far, thankfully we don't have a high incidence to make any sort of comparison. You would have to rely on projections. There are no comparable westernized countries without high percentages of immunized children. Perhaps the anti-vaxers will have their wish though, as the percentage of immunized children slowly drops we are seeing outbreaks of vaccine-preventable diseases slowly increasing such as the Pertussis outbreaks in California. Let's also not forget that autism is not a fatal disease, but many of the vaccine-preventable diseases can be.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:07 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,862,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post

Maybe the CDC should begin work on a vaccine for autism.

Some peop . . I say, some people just had too much silver nitrate poured on their eyeballs when they were born.
Maybe the CDC should work on a vaccine for ignorance first?

Measles is one of the world's most contagious diseases on the planet. Before the vaccine nearly everyone got it. Complications include blindness, encephalitis and pneumonia. In places where the vaccine is not available hundreds of thousands of children die as a result of it each year.

WHO | Measles

Mumps is another highly contagious disease. Symptoms include swollen glands, high fever and painful swelling of the testicles and ovaries. Before the vaccine there were hundreds of thousands of cases each year in the United States alone.

Mumps

Rubella can cause all kinds of serious complications if you catch it in the womb including blindness, deafness and mental retardation. The vaccine was developed after a huge outbreak of the disease in the 1960's left millions of women with babies that had serious health problems.

Rubella

Whooping cough is an evil little disease that can lead to coughing so severe you can break a rib. The standard treatment for whooping cough in young babies is hospitalization. Symptoms can linger for months. Complications include asthma and pneumonia.

Whooping cough - MayoClinic.com

The biggest problem with the anti-vaccine movement is the sad delusion that nothing will happen if we stop vaccinating.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:20 AM

36,972 posts, read 40,972,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
My beliefs aren't set in stone but I believe vaccines are for the most part necessary. At the same time I know the medical field does have a way of exaggerating risk and creating hype, so we probably get more vaccines than we really need because of hype. I don't really know about any link between vaccines and autism. I know a lot of autistic people but they don't talk about their vaccinations, so I'm not aware of any link personally, and I don't know how much of the vaccine/autism debate is real and how much of it is hype.

I'll probably get my kids vaccinated. Chances are the diseases they protect are worse than autism. (Maybe I'm biased and just don't see autism as all that bad since I'm on the spectrum and live with two other people who are too.)
Thank you for being candid and providing your unique perspective on this debate.

Keep in mind that the illnesses for which vaccines have been developed are those that have a serious risk of causing disability or death. They are not trivial. And there really is no proven connection between vaccines and autism.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:23 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,268,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
At this point, I do not believe there is sufficient evidence to suggest that breastfeeding be curtailed to prevent autism. The genetic factor is much greater than any environmental factor. And the concept of "internal toxicity" is your opinion, not based on science.
How would the "genetic factor" explain the sudden epidemic proportion of autism cases?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ufMX...eature=related

Old 10-12-2010, 08:28 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,862,137 times
There is no autism epidemic.

What you're seeing is a decrease in diagnosis of conditions like mental retardation and learning disabilities. That's coupled with a much greater awareness of autism symptoms and funding for treating them.

Is the Autism Epidemic a Myth? - TIME

Science-Based Medicine » The Increase in Autism Diagnoses: Two Hypotheses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies