Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2010, 11:03 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times

Advertisements

How come I never heard of autism several years ago and yet now kids left and right seem to have it, just like with ADD and ADHD, suddenly now everyone has it???

Old 09-28-2010, 11:03 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
Autism mercury link is long established through hundreds of worldwide
scientific research studies. .
bull

First that autism doesn’t look like mercury poisoning and mercury poisoning doesn’t look like autism. They appear completely independent and unrelated.

Autism is a property of a phenotype, not a genotype. Individuals with the same genotype (monozygous twins) can be discordant for ASDs and can have different “severities” (which is a term I don’t like as applied to ASDs). Monozygous twins are different because many of the details of development are not specified genetically, but occur in response to environmental stimuli (i.e. interactions with adjoining cells). Those stimuli interact with genetic stuff during development via pathways that are non-linear and coupled resulting in an outcome that is “chaotic” in a mathematical sense, i.e. not predictable in advance and extremely sensitive to initial conditions. Identical twins are not “identical” because they don’t experience “identical” environments as they develop. Very subtle differences will cause the development pathways to diverge, as in the “butterfly effect”. There is a gigantic amount of redundancy and resilience in development to produce a functional phenotype, but those phenotypes will not be identical.

ASD’s are a broad spectrum of causes and presentations. There is no reason I can see to expect that the causes are identical for all those with and without intellectual disability.

Autism just plain isn’t mercury poisoning. When can we move on?

Even some of the people who loudly promoted the mistaken idea that “autism is just a misdiagnosis for mercury poisoning” have backed off. But, the groups that promote autism as vaccine injury are packrats: once they’ve collected an idea, bad or not, they won’t ever let it completely go.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:04 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
How come I never heard of autism several years ago and yet now kids left and right seem to have it, just like with ADD and ADHD, suddenly now everyone has it???
becuase the way the now classify it

years ago it was called mental retardation

Old 09-28-2010, 11:04 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,596,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
bull
your scientific jargon?

Old 09-28-2010, 11:07 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,660 times
Quote:
Autism mercury link is long established through hundreds of worldwide
scientific research studies. CDC has even acknowledged it at a clandestine conference they covered-up years ago. Having a child with autism/Asperger's gives us access to scientific journals and worldwide research that the ordinary layperson is not privy to. I can forgive ignorance of science & the law. However all Americans have legitimate rights throught the Constitution to file their grievances, and winning cases have no cause to bear court costs.
Your assertions are simply untrue.

And if you spread misinformation about a topic you can expect to be called on it. You can also expect to be called out if you want to threaten public health.

Just because you have a child with autism does not give you a phd in science or make you an expert on anything at all. All it means is that you have a child with a genetic disorder. And unfortunately, in your case, you sadly believe said genetic disorder was somehow caused by vaccines.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Because years ago everyone was mentally retarded, learning disabled or just weird.

Today everyone's autistic or ADD or ADHD.

Diagnostic criteria change all the time.

Years ago you couldn't be called autistic unless you had hand flapping and asperger's did not exist.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Because the rate of autism has gone up, due to the Thimerosal (containing mercury) in vaccines, and the mercury in the environment.

I am willing to bet that some of the pregnant mothers allowed to have flu shots with Thimerosal will be coming forward someday with children exhibiting autism spectrum disorder.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Because years ago everyone was mentally retarded, learning disabled or just weird.

Today everyone's autistic or ADD or ADHD.

Diagnostic criteria change all the time.

Years ago you couldn't be called autistic unless you had hand flapping and asperger's did not exist.
Asperger's DID exist, it was not taught in American Medical Schools until 1995. It was first discovered by Hans Asperger in Austria in 1940's, and WWII disrupted his research. It was many years before his studies were translated into English.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Because the rate of autism has gone up, due to the Thimerosal (containing mercury) in vaccines, and the mercury in the environment.

I am willing to bet that some of the pregnant mothers allowed to have flu shots with Thimerosal will be coming forward someday with children exhibiting autism spectrum disorder.
That's a complete myth.

Thimerosal was removed from vaccines.

Autism rates went UP:

Study: Autism Prevalence Still Up After Thimerosal Removed From Vaccines -- AAFP News Now -- American Academy of Family Physicians (http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/publications/news/news-now/clinical-care-research/20080116autismstudy.html - broken link)

Old 09-28-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
That's a complete myth.

Thimerosal was removed from vaccines.

Autism rates went UP:

Study: Autism Prevalence Still Up After Thimerosal Removed From Vaccines -- AAFP News Now -- American Academy of Family Physicians (http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/publications/news/news-now/clinical-care-research/20080116autismstudy.html - broken link)
The myth is that Thimerosal was removed from vaccines, many flu vaccines contain Thimerosal and many pregnant mothers get the flu vaccine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies