U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 09:02 AM

8,415 posts, read 10,419,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Yes OP I agree with GreenGene

Why don't you back up your list 6 items with a link or source?

For instance lets go with number 1?

Are we supposed to take your word as fact?
Perhaps you can offer some quality data on the cost of this bill? From a non partisan source of course.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:05 AM

13,182 posts, read 7,524,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Which people are you quoting here? What cost to us? You base this on a pro-health care advocate? Why is this any more relevant? And again, at what cost?
Per page 4 of the latest CBO estimate of the Senate version listed on their home page.

The additional cost to taxpayers for the new health care program will run 280 Billion over 10 years.

28 Billion per year. Less than 1% of the Federal budget. 4.4% of our absurd Defense budget.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Perhaps you can offer some quality data on the cost of this bill? From a non partisan source of course.
I'll be happy to.

But the OP has laid out so much information I'd like him/her to start with their 6 item list.

That's how this is going to work or it's not going to work at all.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:12 AM

1,530 posts, read 798,048 times
Here's some articles that might help answer your questions.

American Thinker Seniors Are America's New Jews

Health care bill and cost

Karl Rove The Real Price of the Senate Health Bill - WSJ

Why the Personal Mandate to Buy Health Insurance Is Unprecedented and Unconsti

A Reckless Health Care Bill That Nobody Believes In - WSJ

Turning Medicaid Against the Feds Withdraw! Tenth Amendment Center Blog

Nebraskans on Sen

Old 12-28-2009, 10:45 AM

48,396 posts, read 39,456,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
The basic thing that bothers me the most is that this reform is along party lines and shouldn't be.

I need some type of reform as I'm to young for medicare and out of a job, paying our own healthcare out of pocket.
so what are you saying? The Republicans should go along with a bill that the majority of Americans do not want? Or are you saying you want the government to provide you with free health care?

Many people, unfortunately are now out of work, and most of us do want to see some reform, but not at the cost of our own benefits. Certainly you can understand that. You are thinking of yourself when you say, you are out of work and have no insurance, we are thinking of ourselves when it comes to senior care...

Nita

Old 12-28-2009, 11:11 AM

7,049 posts, read 2,703,490 times
I'll refrain from comment until the final bill is crafted. But of course, those who want to deny health care to all or more importantly, want the Obama administration to fail at any cost to the nation will continue to jump and shout and run about.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:25 AM

4,569 posts, read 3,152,243 times
I don't want the drug plans. I don't want to be surrounded by contraptions. My ancestors lived well into their 80's without a bunch of contraptions. What we need is affordable health care, and some kind of catastrophic coverage. I don't mind paying for office visits, or a temporary medicine, but I am not going to let them hook me on dope to keep the corporations fat.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:26 AM

5,224 posts, read 7,496,131 times
I was talking with my grandma on Christmas Day and she was fit to be tied because she said for some reason her Medicare costs have increased by x dollars per month, plus she got another letter from them, billing her for medication she was prescribed over two years ago. Apparantly they didn't think she paid enough. I asked her to read the letter increasing her monthly Medicare costs, and I couldn't discern any specific reason. It was the typical, generic, government speak. She is very angry,upset, etc, and although she has written her reps, she doesn't believe they listen anyway. She'll be 93 in March, God bless her, and is very healthy for her age. She sufferered a nasty fall two months ago where she cracked her pelvis.

But she lives on a fixed income, her SS has been decreased by $100 per month and since seniors aren't getting a cost of living increase for SS nor are they getting the promised $250, she is pretty upset on all counts.

Heck, the first 15 minutes of our Christmas talk, I just let her vent!

Old 12-28-2009, 12:17 PM

linicx

I think I may have found the source of your confusion....from the NY Times

"Employers who do not provide health insurance to workers would generally have to pay a fee or penalty to the government. The fee would be equal to 8 percent of wages for an employer with an annual payroll of more than $400,000.

So the employer who refuses to provide health insurance for his workers will incur an 8% charge not the employee.

Obviously if an employee has a plan....how or why would that tax even apply to his employer?

So #2 you are surely misinformed.

I'll tackle #3 when I return.....This is going to be a long thread by the time I research all 6 of your claims. And I intend to go through each and every one.

Last edited by padcrasher; 12-28-2009 at 12:39 PM..

Old 12-28-2009, 12:20 PM

10,741 posts, read 14,243,762 times
Default Grandma

Grandma has a plenty of reasons to be upset. AFAIK 2010 grandma will not see an increase in Part B deductions nor a COL. Unfortunately the freeze on this does not affect the expected increase in utilies, groceries, real estate taxes or house, car and private health insurance.

It extermely difficult for seniors to manage to care for themselves on a $500 SS check. You're grandma and grandpa were working in the 30's when wages were pennies compared to salaries paid today.

We are in thesame position as grandma. SS and Eldercare are two critical issues for poverty level seniors,

My best to both of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I was talking with my grandma on Christmas Day and she was fit to be tied because she said for some reason her Medicare costs have increased by x dollars per month, plus she got another letter from them, billing her for medication she was prescribed over two years ago. Apparantly they didn't think she paid enough. I asked her to read the letter increasing her monthly Medicare costs, and I couldn't discern any specific reason. It was the typical, generic, government speak. She is very angry,upset, etc, and although she has written her reps, she doesn't believe they listen anyway. She'll be 93 in March, God bless her, and is very healthy for her age. She sufferered a nasty fall two months ago where she cracked her pelvis.

But she lives on a fixed income, her SS has been decreased by $100 per month and since seniors aren't getting a cost of living increase for SS nor are they getting the promised $250, she is pretty upset on all counts.

Heck, the first 15 minutes of our Christmas talk, I just let her vent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies