U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 09:44 PM

17,747 posts, read 53,880,773 times

Advertisements

So this fellow from Nigeria gets on a plane to Europe, then takes another plane going to Detroit, and tries to set off a bomb.

The increased security measures taken because of this incident are:
You cannot get out of your seat one hour before landing
You cannot reach into the overhead compartment one hour before landing

The terrorists must be laughing their keisters off about now.

"Ooh! Let's have someone board a plane and do something 59 minutes after it takes off! Maybe we can get them to ban the bathroom for another hour! If we keep it up, we can have the bathroom banned for 12 hours and they will all explode on their own!"

What a blooming bunch of over-reacting idiocy. I say boycott planes until somebody with some brains who wasn't a hall monitor in third grade is put in charge of security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 10:16 PM

13,294 posts, read 25,463,471 times
There is nothing that can be done about certain things in one's undies, just as a ceramic knife taped to one's leg could be as effective as box cutters were on 9/11 (although hardening the cockpits should eliminate that form of hijacking).
I believe a device can be in luggage that can be detonated by a timer or cell phone.
I believe it's quite easy to blow up a plane and very hard to prevent all but the most obvious methods.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:30 PM

6,834 posts, read 7,875,023 times
The terrorists have been laughing at us since 9/11. Not to take anything away from the memories of those who lost their lives that day, but the terrorists REAL victory came not with the initial destruction and body count, but with the aftermath that followed.

We could never boycott planes. Americans are way too dependent on air travel. That would bring commerce to a standstill, not to mention the elimination of instantanious gratification for american travelers. Imagine everyone using cars, trains, and buses to get around the U.S.... That would be entertaining!

The Homeland Security Dept. did this because they do not know what else to do. There had to be a reaction. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. TSA officials are just government pawns.

I wonder if Obama has picked up the phone yet to call Nigeria's president and apologize for those pesky americans on the plane who saved the day by assaulting this wannabe terrorist.

No 72 virgins for that idiot.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:45 AM

24,889 posts, read 21,001,151 times
Those are just the first two steps. This sounds more like a anti-Obama thread to me, but anyway.

I disagree with some of the security measures taken thus far. For instance, I believe we should still allow family members to walk you to the plane. Everyone has to go through security check points.

That said, much of what they are doing is fine. The OP mentions the "can't get out of your seat 1 hour before the flight ends". If you think about this just for a minute, it makes sense.

Heres a scenario.

A terrorist sneaks a bomb onto the plane, by strapping it close to their body. They wait until they are over a heavily populated area, like the city they are landing in. Then they get up, go to the bathroom, put the bomb together, and blow up the plane over the center of the city.

Thats why you can't get up 1 hour before the end of the flight. It minimizes casualties, duh. They also disabled the GPS tracking on the backs of seats. Some planes allowed you to know where you were at, now thats ended.

These things make sense. They have also said that the TSA, and Homeland security are sitting down today, to see if further measures can be taken to prevent this type of attack in the future.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:58 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,338,303 times
I heard this story on the news last night. Didn't they say they found no explosives?( I could be wrong about that and I apologize if I heard the story wrong,I wasn't really paying attention to the tv). How do you take measures to stop an assault that isn't going to happen?

Old 12-28-2009, 06:23 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,025,881 times
Another battle lost by the Americans in the War on Liberty.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:52 AM

17,747 posts, read 53,880,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

That said, much of what they are doing is fine. The OP mentions the "can't get out of your seat 1 hour before the flight ends". If you think about this just for a minute, it makes sense.

Heres a scenario.

A terrorist sneaks a bomb onto the plane, by strapping it close to their body. They wait until they are over a heavily populated area, like the city they are landing in. Then they get up, go to the bathroom, put the bomb together, and blow up the plane over the center of the city.

Thats why you can't get up 1 hour before the end of the flight. It minimizes casualties, duh. They also disabled the GPS tracking on the backs of seats. Some planes allowed you to know where you were at, now thats ended.

These things make sense. They have also said that the TSA, and Homeland security are sitting down today, to see if further measures can be taken to prevent this type of attack in the future.
It only makes sense upon first glance. Disabling the GPS tracking and movies was an even dumber move. It accomplishes exactly nothing.

Here are just a FEW of the reasons:

1. Flights give an estimated time of arrival. Planes fly at certain speeds. Planes fly on standard routes. The lack of a GPS assumes that the terrorist doesn't know basic math.

2. Windows - when looking out a window it is possible to (GASP!!!) see if you are over a city or not.

3. Historical precedent. Lockerby didn't happen over a city.

4. When a plane goes into final descent, for some strange reason the nose goes down. You don't need a GPS to know that.

Now, again just a few reasons not to be concerned about those overhead compartments being opened in the last hour:

1. A timed device doesn't need to be removed.

2. Stuff can be stowed under the seat.

3. Two words - remote control.

4. One word - family. A family takes an entire row. Only one is the bomber. Who is going to reach the bomber in time to stop reaching into the compartment?

And about the "no getting up" in the last hour:

1. Just exactly what happens when someone has a heart attack in that last hour? Does the flight crew just let them die?

2. Do you know the difference between a faked heart attack and a real one?

3. How about food poisoning? Do you sit next to a person with diarrhea and vomiting for an hour?

4. What about the ADA and accommodation for people with claustrophobia or Crohn's disease or other disabilities?

All of those are statistically FAR more common than a terrorist.

All of the on-flight rules being imposed are nonsensical window dressing that have zero real effect. There is a need for more intelligent use of the no-fly and watch lists. Those are more far likely to insure real increased safety. This has nothing to do with Obama or politics, it is simple examination of another outrageous set of hoops that airline passengers must jump.

Ditchlights has it pegged, the frightened and the stupid want something (ANYTHING) done now and everyone is being held hostage (literally) to their terror.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:24 AM

5,183 posts, read 13,299,098 times
Harry Chickpea--you're right...they need to focus on not ALLOWING these threats on the plane in the 1st place...These new "restrictions" do nothing to make us "safer" (as if we were ever "safe" in the first place!)--they just try to make us FEEL like they're doing something.
I'm just glad I don't have to fly anytime soon!

Old 12-28-2009, 12:22 PM

19,126 posts, read 26,592,888 times
To the OP:

What do you suppose they should do? I'm curious.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:50 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,025,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

What do you suppose they should do? I'm curious.
We could start by endeavoring to create a global posture in which fewer people hate us and wish to destroy us. We have become the monster that grows a new head every time one is cut off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or