U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2009, 08:25 AM

1,477 posts, read 1,359,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
How is the American economy supposed to limp its way back towards some pitiful semblance of prosperity when every time a city has a nice space that would be perfect for a cash-earning business, woops, a church just stole it?
Source: US Economy Crippled by Churches - Religion - Gawker

Religion is BIG business.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 09:36 AM

21,067 posts, read 15,259,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post

Huh?

Do we really need to talk about all of the community support provided by these 'thieves'? The number of people fed, clothed, lifted back on their feet during times of trouble? How about the local economies that are supported by congregants who live close to those churches, synagogues, temples and shop in nearby stores, eat in nearby restaurants and so on.
How about the stability that they bring to their neighborhoods?

Ever see how quickly a neighborhood goes down hill when a church closes? I have and it is not pretty.

And, just who will provide these services, many completely intangible, in their place?

Old 12-29-2009, 09:42 AM

12,482 posts, read 8,518,573 times
Quote:

See how many churches feed the hungry and clothe the cold.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:49 AM

13,180 posts, read 12,700,046 times
In Texas we're overun by outdated chuches. They have these poorly maintained, poorly attended old churches every 3rd block. It seems the evagelicals are attracted to new big box churches like bugs to a light bulb. They leave their old puny Church to become an eyesore.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:49 AM

11,435 posts, read 15,960,800 times
Quote:

There's truth to this article. A few years back in Rowland Hts, calif, a super wal-mart wanted to build on some land. the deal was expected to be a heavy revenue generator by the city, but was quashed when a local church went to court for ownership of that land.

Here in San Antonio, cornerstone church owns a HUGE property in one of the most exclusive neighborhoods in town (Stone Oak). why did they have to build there? This alone is depriving the City of valuable property taxes, not to mention the revenue from those potential businesses.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:53 AM

13,180 posts, read 12,700,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
There's truth to this article. A few years back in Rowland Hts, calif, a super wal-mart wanted to build on some land. the deal was expected to be a heavy revenue generator by the city, but was quashed when a local church went to court for ownership of that land.

Here in San Antonio, cornerstone church owns a HUGE property in one of the most exclusive neighborhoods in town (Stone Oak). why did they have to build there? This alone is depriving the City of valuable property taxes, not to mention the revenue from those potential businesses.
My local Mega Church is moving to a brand newly built auditorium/church and lobbying our local city government to buy their old property and make it a recreation center!

Old 12-29-2009, 09:59 AM

118 posts, read 245,606 times
It really don't sound like any of you people go to church, I do and been to many in my neck of the wood's, and in the city's around my city. I found one in my city that really helps the needy, only one too, the others claim to help but are more concerned abount thier own needs first. Like the traveling preacher that droped in onced, he was more concerned about telling us about the fun he had water sking, and playing in the sun then about his work for the Lord. Oh, but he got his trip payed for! Or the preachers that live in luxury while thiers supporters live on thier pay week to week.
I dont know about you but my kin needs my support, more then the churchs around my neck of the woods do. If there was only (one) that helped needy people and everyone went to it, think of all the extra money the comuity would have, for help. I dont think we need a church on every corner. I could say a lot more, but I think you all get my point.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:06 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,276,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post

I'd rather see a church go up than a walmart. I think the church would do more good then the walmart. Many cities actually pay for a walmart to come to their town and they get kick backs on their taxes. The only real benenfit is the sales tax they generate.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:09 AM

Location: 22 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
23,292 posts, read 13,027,371 times
around here the problem is not the churches...its the 'non-profit' political organizations like acorn, etc...and reciently I have been seeing a lot of " walk-in sweepstakes " storefronts...not sure what they are, but with there being a lot of them, I would have to guess, they fall into the 'non-profit' tax group

Old 12-29-2009, 10:15 AM

9,807 posts, read 12,918,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin847 View Post
It really don't sound like any of you people go to church, I do and been to many in my neck of the wood's, and in the city's around my city. I found one in my city that really helps the needy, only one too, the others claim to help but are more concerned abount thier own needs first. Like the traveling preacher that droped in onced, he was more concerned about telling us about the fun he had water sking, and playing in the sun then about his work for the Lord. Oh, but he got his trip payed for! Or the preachers that live in luxury while thiers supporters live on thier pay week to week.
I dont know about you but my kin needs my support, more then the churchs around my neck of the woods do. If there was only (one) that helped needy people and everyone went to it, think of all the extra money the comuity would have, for help. I dont think we need a church on every corner. I could say a lot more, but I think you all get my point.

--" I don't think we need a church on every corner "--

Ever hear of--------freedom of religion ?

Unless govt funds are being used to build those churches, it shouldn't bother you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or