Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2010, 07:53 PM

1,133 posts, read 712,640 times

Advertisements

we have an afro-american on t.v. tonight telling us that the health care debate is akin to the civil rights movement. If you are against helath care reform bill you are a racist! I doubt the majorityh of black people in this country would agree with that but you have to admit it would be lackluster to have an Irishman make the statement on national t.v.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 08:40 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,583 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9KC7uhMY9s

Old 01-04-2010, 08:56 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
My apologies, I thought it was you that said that quote. Either way, the quote proves my point and I don't need to dig through posts to prove it any further. Regardless, it wasn't you that said that quote, and for that I do apologize. I need to figure out how to multi-quote posts better.
Thanks for the fix. Point for that.

However, the quote did not prove your point. Your point was that merely disagreeing with President Obama would get you labeled "racist." The comment you quoted said that the anti-Obama HATRED was racist.

So, though you claimed that it always happens, you have yet to provide a single example.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Interesting you would post that. Marvin Gaye a great vocalist, one of my favorites of black vocalists, not that that is a genre What do you think is goin on? I see lot of right here and a lot of wrong. I see idol hands, by choice or not, I see absentee adults, by choice or not. I see dilapidated bldgs and graffiti, broken windows. I see some people of the faith, very positive.
Why did you post that and what is your point? What do we need to do here?

Old 01-04-2010, 10:21 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Interesting you would post that. Marvin Gaye a great vocalist, one of my favorites of black vocalists, not that that is a genre What do you think is goin on? I see lot of right here and a lot of wrong. I see idol hands, by choice or not, I see absentee adults, by choice or not. I see dilapidated bldgs and graffiti, broken windows. I see some people of the faith, very positive.
Why did you post that and what is your point? What do we need to do here?
The lyrics. 1971
Way, way ahead of his time, visionary, touching, true, emotion.
Quote:
Mother, mother
There's too many of you crying (broken home, husband/boyfriend left or was killed, babies to feed)
Brother, brother, brother
There's far too many of you dying (the struggle for equality, it's not over yet)
You know we've got to find a way (yes, we ALL do)
To bring some lovin' here today - Ya (we should love one another, instead of hate)
Quote:
Father, father
We don't need to escalate (father figures to a child are very demanding at times, expecting sometimes the impossible for a child)
You see, war is not the answer (see what he meant?)
For only love can conquer hate
You know we've got to find a way (there is a way, and we all know there is)
To bring some lovin' here today (love today, this means your neighbor)
While I interpret his lyrics with what I thought he meant, I feel he was a soul healer. He could probably have done great things, had he lived.

Look where we are now, 2 wars, more poverty, cost of living out of this world. We human beings have not learned anything in the past 30+ years.
Acceptance of each other still has a very long way to go too.
here is a link. anyone can do their own poverty research if they wish. this is one example:

http://forgottenharvest.org/getinformed.html (broken link)

Old 01-05-2010, 12:09 AM

So what do you think needs to be done?

Old 01-05-2010, 07:24 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
... Either way, the quote proves my point and I don't need to dig through posts to prove it any further....
Still waiting for a single example.

Come on, people - surely at least one of you right-wingers here on CD has been called "racist" merely for disagreeing with President Obama! After all, the OP is based on the claim that it happens every time.

What? Nobody can provide a single example?

I guess that claim is a lie.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:34 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Wilson's past actions played a role in him being called a racist. I disagreed with him being labeled a racist btw, but his past actions and comments played a big role in him getting that label for his outburst. He would have been chastised for his outburst regardless, but the racist label probably would not have been thrown around if he didn't make some of the comments he has in the past, especially in regards to Thurmond and his legacy.

Really?

So why was he not admonished at the time of his past trangressions? Was it more opportune to do so after he had heckled a President who just happens to be black? What were his trangressions? That he respected a long serving Senator from his State? I am no fan of the late Thurmond, but he did try to make amends for his racist past- which he did mostly as a Democrat. Nope. That is not going to fly. Try again.

And if, as you say, all these people are only indicting "certain segments" of the population rather than the right as a whole, well then, what is the big deal? If its only certain segments, why would that merit any concern? There have always been fringes and there always will be.

Your strategy is interesing. A form of passive agressiveness. Its also transparent.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:36 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Since when is calling someone "Un-American" racist? (Not that I necessarily agree with what Pelosi said, but I only have your paraphrase to go on.)
Its not. I added it as a sweetner and prefaced it with "Not to mention."

It is, however, a vile and pig headed thing to say. But I gave up on Pelosi some time ago.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:36 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Racism played heavily in the democratic primaries. Frankly, Hillary would have won had Obama not been black. (Look at voting by racial lines in a number of states.)

The irony there was that Obama would get 90% of the black vote in Mississippi and the Hillary would win WV and there would be cries of "red neck racists" in WV from the Obama supporters. That's just awesome sauce.

It's just funny because the white Hillary supporters were labeled the same way and some of them are now using the tag.

What's extra funny is that we ELECTED him president but now if we disagree with him we are racist? Funny, I voted for the guy...I think if I were a racist I'd not have elected him into office in the first place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies