Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 05:23 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,616,443 times

Advertisements

DeMint holds up the nomination of the head of the TSA. The man was nominated in September:
Jim DeMint Now Says Democrats Are Rushing TSA Nominee

Republicans vote against money for Homeland Security, one of whom is now solicting donations from his constituents to 'help him' protect us.
Hoekstra opposed funding explosive detection for TSA in fed. budget « Michigan Messenger (http://michiganmessenger.com/32451/hoekstra-opposed-funding-explosive-detection-for-tsa-in-fed-budget - broken link)

And the troll equates a failed terrorism attempt with an actual event that killed thousands of people and led to the deaths and maimings of thousands of our dedicated troops. So, tell us Mr. Cheney - what did you do TODAY to keep me and my family safe??????

Bob Cesca: Republican Hypocrisy on Terrorism Reaches New Levels of Awful

Meanwhile, all those measures that BushCo put in place to keep us safe? Apparently not so much:

"The TSA was given lead authority to oversee security operations on February 17, 2002, pursuant to the Aviation and Transportation Security Act. But, as of September 2009, the GAO reported that the agency failed to properly identify the bureaucratic or budgetary needs that it required to ensure that risk of a terrorist attack or security breach was minimized. There was, the GAO concluded, no "unifying national strategy" guiding the TSA's "efforts to enhance the security of the nation's airports.""

Major Airport Vulnerabilities Revealed In Sept 2009 Security Review

So, from the time that the TSA was given authority to oversee security until this President ordered a review, there was no oversight, no leadership, no interest in finding out whether or not what they were supposed to do was actually being done. Am I surprised? No.

I am so disgusted by the partisans in this country who care more about making political points than actually keeping us safe.

Last edited by TigerLily24; 12-30-2009 at 06:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 05:38 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,824,429 times
Key security agencies lack permanent leaders - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091229/ap_on_go_ot/us_airliner_attack - broken link)

Key security agencies lack permanent leaders

Quote:
WASHINGTON – Two federal agencies charged with keeping potential terrorists off airplanes and out of the country have been without their top leaders for nearly a year.

It took the Obama administration more than eight months to nominate anyone to lead the Transportation Security Administration and the Customs and Border Protection agency.
Doesn't seem he was much concerned with the position before now...he's been busy elsewhere;

Quote:
Bogged down with health care reform, the Senate has yet to set a date to hold hearings for the Customs position.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Key security agencies lack permanent leaders - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091229/ap_on_go_ot/us_airliner_attack - broken link)

Key security agencies lack permanent leaders

Doesn't seem he was much concerned with the position before now...he's been busy elsewhere;
Thanks for bumping my thread

Old 12-30-2009, 05:54 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,853,741 times
If you really think the TSA makes flying any safer you're fooling yourself. It's all for show. There is absolutely no reason everyone who flies ought to be regarded as a suspect. It's all theatre. And if the recent attempt shows anything it shows the necessity of profiling but we can't do that because we might offend someone. So more people will die. Thank your favorite liberal for that.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:56 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,824,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Thanks for bumping my thread
I wouldn't call that a bump, since I was only the second poster and shot to sh*t your outrageous outrage with the facts.....that obama waited 8 months to nominate tis guy.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:56 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,304,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I am so disgusted by the partisans in this country who care more about making political points than actually keeping us safe.
You might be hypocrite if you then start a thread on this premise.

Quote:
This is how much the GOP really cares about our safety
You clearly don't want discussion, just bashing.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:07 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,318,490 times
Vote On TSA Nominee Caught Up In Union Dispute : NPR

For nearly a year, the TSA has been without a permanent administrator.

President Obama has named Los Angeles Airport Security Assistant Chief Erroll Southers to the post. But the Senate has yet to vote on the nomination, because one Republican senator wants a guarantee that the administration won't allow collective bargaining for airport screeners.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:08 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,274,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
If you really think the TSA makes flying any safer you're fooling yourself. It's all for show. There is absolutely no reason everyone who flies ought to be regarded as a suspect. It's all theatre. And if the recent attempt shows anything it shows the necessity of profiling but we can't do that because we might offend someone. So more people will die. Thank your favorite liberal for that.
Profiling isn't going to keep us safe. How dumb do you thing AlQaeda is? And if you think they can't recruit less ethic looking men or Muslim women and children to carry their shoe and underwear bombs onto airplanes, you're wrong. They can and will, if we enact profiling. Not profiling isn't about "offending someone". We don't do it because it won't work to keep us safe. Profiling will give everyone a false sense of security and lead to airport personal letting their guard down with people not fitting the so-called profile.

About the OP topic: I agree, the obstructionist game plan of the republicans is disgusting and hurting us more than outside forces can.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
You might be hypocrite if you then start a thread on this premise.

You clearly don't want discussion, just bashing.
Not hypocritical at all. I think I made my intentions quite clear.
Oh, you thought that my title meant that I was a GOP supporter?
Sorry, to disappoint you - it's not another love Cheney/bash Obama thread.

What's good for the goose and all that...

Old 12-30-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I wouldn't call that a bump, since I was only the second poster and shot to sh*t your outrageous outrage with the facts.....that obama waited 8 months to nominate tis guy.
Hmmm, cursing now. Must have hit a nerve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies