Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 07:56 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,184,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
the question assumed you knew they were an accomplice. would you use any means needed to get the information to save your family
I assumed they were an accomplice. Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 07:59 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,258,000 times
OK, so, you waterboard them and they "confess" that the victim is buried behind Burger King.
You rush over to Burger King looking for the victim. Turns out, the victim is actually buried behind a 7-11 two counties over.
That waterboarding did you a lot of good.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
OK, so, you waterboard them and they "confess" that the victim is buried behind Burger King.
You rush over to Burger King looking for the victim. Turns out, the victim is actually buried behind a 7-11 two counties over.
I don't understand how that should change my previous answer. The cost/benefit analysis was done ahead of time and I factored this probability into my decision.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:05 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I don't understand how that should change my previous answer. The cost/benefit analysis was done ahead of time and I factored this probability into my decision.
Me neither since I didn't read what you wrote.

I was pointing out the general absurdity of torture as a means of intel gathering.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:06 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,205,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
the you have time to continue it. But at least you are trying to save yoru family

Old 12-31-2009, 08:12 AM

This really isn't much different than how the law treats self defense. It's illegal to kill someone but if I show there was a good reason to do it (basically was in fear for my life or someone else's) a prosecutor is unliikely to charge me. I'd still want there to be a law against murder for those other situations where the act wasn't done for such a good reason.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:14 AM
JPD

Quote:
the you have time to continue it. But at least you are trying to save yoru family
Wrong, because you're busy digging around at Burger King. Meanwhile, your family is dying at 7-11...a location that is unknown to you.

If you eventually determine that Burger King was false information, you go back and waterboard the accomplish some more and he "confesses" (no seriously, this time it's the truth, he swears) that they're really buried between the Jiffy Lube and Taco Bell 50 miles away.

7-11 is still an unknown quantity to you.

Time's up, you lose.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:14 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,205,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
This really isn't much different than how the law treats self defense. It's illegal to kill someone but if I show there was a good reason to do it (basically was in fear for my life or someone else's) a prosecutor is unliikely to charge me. I'd still want there to be a law against murder for those other situations where the act wasn't done for such a good reason.
Nice answer so you think if you can prove it was done in self defense then it would be ok

Old 12-31-2009, 08:22 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,546,185 times
Quote:
So you attack the question rather than asnwer it. Typical of the left
Formulating a question so sophomoric and facile that it can't be taken seriously: typical of the right.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:24 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,975,677 times
Quote:
If your family had been kidnapped and they had 3 hours to live.
if you had an accomplish in custody and you knew to water board them was the only way to save your family, would you allow the accomplish to be water boarded in order to save your family
Another ridiculous scenario not even worthy of "24".

Let's leave Hollywood for a moment and spice this up with a healthy dose of reality.

1. If one of you loved one's is kidnapped, how would you begin to even find the kidnapper?

2. There is a reason why the police do not allow officers with a personal attachment to a case to interrogate prisoners, emotion does not trump professionalism.

3. In the case of a criminal kidnapping, the kidnapper once apprehended will give up the victim simply by agreeing to a leniency at sentencing.

4. In the case of a hardened jihadist, they will send you on a four hour wild goose chase knowing full well that whatever suffering you inflict has a set end time before completing their mission.

So, Mr. Bauer, waterboard away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies