Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 08:54 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWashington View Post
But I thought the administration said there was nothing to worry about the leak because the documents were outdated and those tactics aren't being used anymore. Another lie to cover themselves?
Look, I'm having too much fun today to get tied down in stupid debates with folks who want to play pretend they have the IQ of an ameba.

Now, please tell me that you can discern the difference about concern over a violation of policy, leaking, vs the importance of the information leaked.

To make this really easy: If a person is caught spying, is the offense the importance of the material provided to a foreign nation or the act of spying? Let's say the information is useless, would you suggest that the government then say, "hey what the hell, the information wasn't important so why worry about the spy?"

Moderator cut: not necessary

Last edited by katzenfreund; 12-31-2009 at 12:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 09:16 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
This could have been an interesting topic had it not fallen into the same partisan bull crap that plagues this board.

For instance, do bloggers share the same rights to shield protections afforded "corporate journalist" and to what lengths can or should the government go to protect against unauthorized release of internal information.

As for the partisan non-sense, every administration has attempted to limit unauthorized leaks for both good and for ill.
Amen for the rare (on this board) voice of reason.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:24 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
This is how the Obama administration proves to the world how tough it is, it beats up on bloggers. I bet the mullahs are quaking in their minarets.

Thank goodness they're looking out for all of us.

TSA subpoenas bloggers, demands names of sources - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091231/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_airliner_attack_tsa_subpoenas - broken link)
tsa needs to find the leak. mistreatment breeds disloyalty. they need to let workers unionize, #1 interest of unionization is treatment not wages. extremely high turnover. only law enforcement agency in nation not allowed to unionize.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:28 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
While I don't disagree with you, I have to ask, what type of railing against the liberal media- who also is just as guilty of leaking sensitive information - have you done? Does freedom of the press only apply to those who print it out or televise it? Do you now support TSA going after Constitutionallly protected entities?
I don't rail against the media, liberal or otherwise, for leaking sensitive information. It is up to journalists to research and find out everything they can about stories they are working on, and hopefully to present and share that information in a truthful manner. It is up to the government to decide if certain information is too sensitive to be made public, and then to safeguard that information. If they fail to do this, they have a responsibility to try to find the leak. I think my first post squarely stated my support for both the blogger, whom I consider a de facto member of the fourth estate, and also my support for the government. That both parties come into conflict is to be expected in the normal course of business, that we have a system to resolve such conflicts is assured by the judicial system we have in place.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:44 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Since they can't question the "alleged" suspect, cause they gave him rights and a lawyer, I guess this is the best they can do. Harass normal people to find out who is leaking their documents.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:44 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't rail against the media, liberal or otherwise, for leaking sensitive information. It is up to journalists to research and find out everything they can about stories they are working on, and hopefully to present and share that information in a truthful manner. It is up to the government to decide if certain information is too sensitive to be made public, and then to safeguard that information. If they fail to do this, they have a responsibility to try to find the leak. I think my first post squarely stated my support for both the blogger, whom I consider a de facto member of the fourth estate, and also my support for the government. That both parties come into conflict is to be expected in the normal course of business, that we have a system to resolve such conflicts is assured by the judicial system we have in place.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:33 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Full text of my subpoena from the Department of Homeland Security

Blogger that was served.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies