Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 11:12 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,192,463 times

Advertisements

In the Gallup daily tracking poll released on December 24, before the attack, Obama's approval rating was 51%, with 42% disapproval. In the daily Rasmussen daily tracking poll, conducted during that same baseline period of December 21-23, Obama was at 44%-56% (Rasmussen consistently has Obama's approval lower, and disapproval higher, than other outlets).

In the polls released yesterday, which were both conducted entirely after the attempted bombing, Gallup has Obama at 53%-41%, and Rasmussen has him at 47%-52%. Today's Rasmussen poll is 46%-53%.

Polls Show No Political Backlash Against Obama After Flight 253 -- Even A Possible Improvement | TPMDC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 11:21 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,741 times
Well considering most folks never even heard about it one way or the other (I was watching TV on Christmas and only heard mention of the incident once!) is it really shocking that it has no effect on his ratings?

Old 12-31-2009, 11:23 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
Well considering most folks never even heard about it one way or the other (I was watching TV on Christmas and only heard mention of the incident once!) is it really shocking that it has no effect on his ratings?
You have got to be kidding me. It's been ALL over the news and internet since they day it happened, front page, top story.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:23 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,192,463 times
Quote:
I'm sorry you had nothing better to do during christmas than watch TV....

Old 12-31-2009, 11:26 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post

(Rasmussen consistently has Obama's approval lower, and disapproval higher, than other outlets).
You can't compare Gallup and Rasmussen (or almost anyone and Rasmussen for that matter) because they use completely different polling groups.

"Gallup tracks daily the percentage of Americans who approve or disapprove of the job Barack Obama is doing as president."

Gallup Daily: Obama Job Approval

"The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Thursday shows that 24% of the nation's voters Strongly Approve of the way that Barack Obama is performing his role as President.

. . .

"It is important to remember that the Rasmussen Reports job approval ratings are based upon a sample of likely voters. Some other firms base their approval ratings on samples of all adults. President Obama's numbers are always several points higher in a poll of adults rather than likely voters."

Daily Presidential Tracking Poll - Rasmussen Reports™

Rasmussen should only be considered when we're actually approaching an election, and then only with a grain of salt. That's the only time "likely voters" matter more than ALL AMERICANS. When you ask people today if they'd be likely to vote, you may get an entirely different answer than if you ask them a month or a week before an actual election. And they take their pool of "likely voters" from lists of people who have voted. As we saw in the last election, millions of people who never voted before, finally felt inspired to do so.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:45 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,844,267 times
Quote:
I didnt hear about it till a couple days ago myself. I didnt watch the news at all Christmas day or really check till this past Mon when life some what got back to normal

Old 12-31-2009, 05:07 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,741 times
Quote:
I'm sorry you had nothing better to do during christmas than watch TV....
Don't feel sorry for me, my kids had a great day and I enjoyed watching them play with the toys I bought them. (Yes you can watch TV and watch your kids play, its a skill known as multitasking)

Old 12-31-2009, 05:27 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
You can't compare Gallup and Rasmussen (or almost anyone and Rasmussen for that matter) because they use completely different polling groups.

"Gallup tracks daily the percentage of Americans who approve or disapprove of the job Barack Obama is doing as president."

Gallup Daily: Obama Job Approval

"The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Thursday shows that 24% of the nation's voters Strongly Approve of the way that Barack Obama is performing his role as President.

. . .

"It is important to remember that the Rasmussen Reports job approval ratings are based upon a sample of likely voters. Some other firms base their approval ratings on samples of all adults. President Obama's numbers are always several points higher in a poll of adults rather than likely voters."

Daily Presidential Tracking Poll - Rasmussen Reports™

Rasmussen should only be considered when we're actually approaching an election, and then only with a grain of salt. That's the only time "likely voters" matter more than ALL AMERICANS. When you ask people today if they'd be likely to vote, you may get an entirely different answer than if you ask them a month or a week before an actual election. And they take their pool of "likely voters" from lists of people who have voted. As we saw in the last election, millions of people who never voted before, finally felt inspired to do so.
Would it be unfair to ask you who came closest to what would happen in the last 2 or 3 elections? I can tell you that it was Rasmussen but I am sure you would have to look it up yourself.

You mention that Rasmussedn reported 24% of likely voters thought Obama was doing a really good job. You forgot to report that on that same day 40% of those polled thought the exact opposite leaving a -16. Of course, when he was over zero up to mid-August they never failed to report what they got for numbers.

I think you may find that even most pollsters think Rasmussen is the place to go for the good numbers. How many of those new voters you talk about will vote in 2010? Many of them are totally disheartened by now and won't do so again for a while. Now the 2010 election will be very important and those who think otherwise will become disheartened when they learn what is going on.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:34 PM

1,179 posts, read 975,287 times
Quote:
In the Gallup daily tracking poll released on December 24, before the attack, Obama's approval rating was 51%, with 42% disapproval. In the daily Rasmussen daily tracking poll, conducted during that same baseline period of December 21-23, Obama was at 44%-56% (Rasmussen consistently has Obama's approval lower, and disapproval higher, than other outlets).

In the polls released yesterday, which were both conducted entirely after the attempted bombing, Gallup has Obama at 53%-41%, and Rasmussen has him at 47%-52%. Today's Rasmussen poll is 46%-53%.

Polls Show No Political Backlash Against Obama After Flight 253 -- Even A Possible Improvement | TPMDC
Not surprising, since it essentially was a non event; with exception to the crazies, who would go ballistic over anything.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:41 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Love View Post
Not surprising, since it essentially was a non event; with exception to the crazies, who would go ballistic over anything.
Non-event?

Our intelligence agencies disagree with you.

Thank God your opinion means nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies