Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 07:34 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

"Today is the second worst day of my life after 12-25-09. Today is the day that I realized that my own country is lying to me and all of my fellow Americans. Ever since I got off of Flight 253 I have been repeating what I saw in US Customs..."

Flight 253 passenger Kurt Haskell: 'I was visited by the FBI' | Detroit News - - MLive.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 07:46 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
The big hole in Mr. Haskell's story is the following quotes:
The FBI has, since we landed, insisted that only one man was arrested for the airliner attack (contradicting my account).

"I heard from two different reporters that a federal agency (FBI or Customs) was now admitting that another man has been held (and will be held indefinitely) since our flight landed for "immigration reasons."
So the whole basis of the "lie" is based upon Mr. Haskell's presumption that the other arrest was terrorist related, yet even as an attorney, Mr. Haskell has only the flimsiest circumstantial evidence upon which to base his claim.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:31 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
The big hole in Mr. Haskell's story is the following quotes:
The FBI has, since we landed, insisted that only one man was arrested for the airliner attack (contradicting my account).

"I heard from two different reporters that a federal agency (FBI or Customs) was now admitting that another man has been held (and will be held indefinitely) since our flight landed for "immigration reasons."
So the whole basis of the "lie" is based upon Mr. Haskell's presumption that the other arrest was terrorist related, yet even as an attorney, Mr. Haskell has only the flimsiest circumstantial evidence upon which to base his claim.
I agree that Mr. Haskell is over reacting to the other man held for immigration. If it was clear to the FBI that he had no relationship to the underwear bomber, then why would they need to release information about him to the press? They don't do that when other people are caught for immigration issues and processed to go back to where they came. (Just you calling him an accomplice, doesn't make it true.)

I also don't think the public needs to know every single thing the FBI knows regarding an attempted bombing and in fact it could even endanger us further if we were told everything because the terrorists overseas have the same access to our media as we do.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
We have seen the government agencies trying to downplay and cover up their slips.
Heck, those 911 terrorists were down in Florida trying to learn how to fly 747's and the FBI was warned and did nothing. That flight school guy was marginalized as well when he told his story to the Press.

Then look at the Ft. Hood incident. So many red flags and they all got ignored and pushed aside..look what happened.

I think I tend to believe what this guy has said. He has nothing to lose. Customs/FBI though have much more to lose by admitting all this went down as he said. Terrorists also tend work within cells and not alone so this just adds fuel to the fire.

We will not be told the truth about what really happened.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:54 AM

639 posts, read 1,142,364 times
Wow....the lunatic fringe on the left believe that 9-11 was a "hoax" that was perpetrated and set up by George W Bush but let's doubt someone who was on the plane, saw things with his own eyes, and seems to have witnesses who corroborate what he saw!!!

Old 01-01-2010, 09:02 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtAJC View Post
Wow....the lunatic fringe on the left believe that 9-11 was a "hoax" that was perpetrated and set up by George W Bush but let's doubt someone who was on the plane, saw things with his own eyes, and seems to have witnesses who corroborate what he saw!!!
Of course. They have to attack the source to deflect attention away from the real issue(s) at hand.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:33 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
What does the bomb sniffing dog have to do with immigration issues?

Old 01-01-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
What does the bomb sniffing dog have to do with immigration issues?
I think it's an attempt to downplay and marginalize what happened to that guy. Or maybe the dog can sniff out immigration problems as well as bombs ?

Old 01-01-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Oh, please Mr. Haskell...get a grip. In spite of what you experienced, you still only have a 1 in nearly 20 million chance of being on a plane targeted by terrorists. You're more like to be run down by a garbage truck.

Well Mr. Haskell hit the jackpot because a terrorist WAS on his plane and it took the passengers to save the day.

You might think a little differently if you were on that plane. Very easy to be spewing statistics when you haven't been one of them.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:26 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well Mr. Haskell hit the jackpot because a terrorist WAS on his plane and it took the passengers to save the day.

You might think a little differently if you were on that plane. Very easy to be spewing statistics when you haven't been one of them.

The point is that, Mr. Haskell and his fellow passengers not withstanding, neither government nor anyone else can make us all perfectly secure. It's an impossibility, so what's the point of our outrage and anger if one gets through? Inevitably, one WILL get through and to believe otherwise is lying to ourselves.

What we must always guard against is balancing our imperfect safety against the perfect loss of liberty in a vain attempt to protect ourselves from every conceiveable threat, no matter how remote.

At what point do we finally come to the conclusion that government is NOT the answer to everything which frightens us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies