Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Unions? Are they a needed security
Unions are needed to fight the unscrupulous employers 25 27.47%
Unions are not needed, as one's individual character & talent determines if they work 36 39.56%
We need both, as a checks and balances to the workforce 30 32.97%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 05:13 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That was a twist, now wasn't it!!!!

Lets twist it farther... All those Unionized Americans who are out of work are ONLY the ones with no character or talent????
I knew you couldn't answer the question. I twisted nothing, I asked a question that you can't answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 05:37 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
I'm adamantly pro-union. In these days of "employment at will" unions are still a desperately needed check and balance to employers that are basically free to (and do) run roughshod over their employers. Coming together as a collective, cohesive force is really the only protection the little guys have against that. I know, I've worked both union and non union jobs.

Granted there are times when they get too big for their proverbial britches, but those are rare occurrences that are vastly outweighed by the benefits they bring.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:38 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Nice thoughts but that is not reality. Reality is the $2.00/day labor.
We have no choice but to compete with those countries. Why do you think work is flying out of our country so quick ?
Getting out of the NAFTA would be a big help.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:55 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,507 times
Default The Need For Strong Unions Remains !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Unions are good and necessary in an economic landscape that favors business over workers. We need them. Unions can sometimes be counterproductive, but that's rare; usually they are the scapegoat for a corporation that does crappy business, e.g. GM...

Unions are good because they force an unfair employer into a contract which must then be legally honored. This forces the unfair employer to honor their end of the deal instead of lying and cheating their employees.
Greeting's

You better believe that the "Proud American Worker's" of 2010 vitally needs strong Unions and effective collective barganing as much as ever !

A case in point is America's hard working and extremely productive Auto Workers and their most fortunate long standing & successful relationship with the UAW Union ... This sensational Union has magnificiently served it's membership for many years and provided these great folks with among the very best of wages and benefits on the planet !

The UAW Union is absolutely essential to these great folks and I sincerely hope they continue to effectively serve their membership for a long, long time !

The American Worker ... especially the Auto Workers without a doubt have truly earned the great wages, retirement, and other fringes they receive. That's right "They Have Earned It" ! And their great Union richly deserves the "Lions Share Of The Credit" !

And I might add the American made Automobile remains the "Absolute Best" vehicle on the planet ... all made of course by Proud and Hard Working Americans with Union Cards!

The Proud American Worker and the great Unions that represent them are without question an ultimately necessary team to ensure the vastly important prosperity of both worker and industry alike !

It is absolutely incredulous to me when I review the contents of various media reportings regarding some "Johnny Come Lately" person or organization whom spewes forth the pathetic and vile anti-union diatribes ... These "Blubber Heads" have absolutely no logical concept of the great importance of America's Unions over the course of our proud history.

Yes indeed my friends ... The proud American Workers of this great nation vitally need the tremendous services of the UNIONS.

Thank You & I Hope All Enjoyed The New Year Parties Last Night ! / Lamar

Old 01-01-2010, 06:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
Greeting's

You better believe that the "Proud American Worker's" of 2010 vitally needs strong Unions and effective collective barganing as much as ever !

A case in point is America's hard working and extremely productive Auto Workers and their extremely long standing & successful relationship with the UAW Union ... This sensational Union has magnificientlyserved it's membership for many years and provided these great folks with among the very best of wages and benefits on the planet !

The UAW Union is absolutely essential to these great folks and I sincerely hope they continue to effectively serve their membership for a long, long time !

The American Worker ... especially the Auto Workers without a doubt have truly earned the great wages, retirement, and other fringes they receive. That's right "They Have Earned It" ! And their great Union richly deserves the "Lions Share Of The Credit" !

The Proud American Worker and the great Unions that represent them are without question an ultimately necessary team to ensure the vastly important prosperity of both worker and industry alike !

It is absolutely incredulous to me when I review various media reportings regarding some "Johnny Come Lately" person or organization whom spewes forth the pathetic and vile anti-union diatribes ... These "Blubber Heads" have absolutely no logical concept of the great importance of America's Unions over the course of our proud history.

Yes indeed my friends ... The proud American Workers of this great nation vitally need the tremendous services of the UNIONS.

Thank You & I Hope All Enjoyed The New Year Parties Last Night ! / Lamar
Can't rep you Mr. Funk but great post.

Only in America can one get a HS diploma and end up making the equivalent of $71/hour hooking up door handles and retire to Florida with a nice pension and covered healthcare

Why does anyone bother with college when you can get a nice union job and be set for life ?

Old 01-01-2010, 06:07 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Unions are a double edged sword!
They tie employers hands more often than not, but they do provide for their members and have eliminated work place employee rights issues.

With no competition for workers talents and compensation based on those talents, you will always get below average talent at inflated prices for what you get.

Those with talent are off on their own, selling themselves and making more compensation, based on..

Professionalism
Responsibility
Integrity
Dependability
Ethics

They don't have momma taking care of their lack of being taught independence.
I have never had a job without a union except for the Air Force. Quite frankly, while I certainly have issues with the CWA at times, I cannot imagine being without a union. As for them tying an employer's hands, the employer agrees to the contract. Employers do not have to sign contracts they do not agree with. They are as free as the union to walk away. But when I was working 9.5 hours on Christmas Day, I was getting triple time. I doubt the non union employee was. I have better benefits than even my mangers enjoy. They pay $200 a month for family health care. I pay zero for health, life, vision and dental. Only co pays when we go to the doctor or get a prescription filled.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:28 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Can't rep you Mr. Funk but great post.

Only in America can one get a HS diploma and end up making the equivalent of $71/hour hooking up door handles and retire to Florida with a nice pension and covered healthcare

Why does anyone bother with college when you can get a nice union job and be set for life ?
A lot of people are under the erroneous impression every job in the auto industry involves standing in an assembly plant putting parts on cars going by. That simply isn't true. There are stamping plants that have to make those parts and tool and die plants that have to make the machines that make the parts that are stamped out, etc., etc. A lot of jobs in the auto industry are considered skilled trades and they often require a year or two at a junior college to train up for the work...lots of math and computer skills involved with many of those jobs.

I know a lot of factory workers, being from Michigan, and almost all of them want their kids to go to college and NOT work in a dirty, noisy and occasionally dangerous factory.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 01-01-2010 at 06:38 PM..

Old 01-01-2010, 06:30 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
A lot of people are under the erroneous impression every job in the auto industry involves standing in an assembly plant putting parts on cars going by. That simply isn't true. There are stamping plants that have to make those parts and tool and die plants that have to make the machines that make the parts that are stamped out, etc., etc. A lot of jobs in the auto industry are considered skilled trades and they often require a year or two at a junior college to train up for the work...lots of math and computer skills involved with many of those jobs.

I know a lot of factory workers, being from Michigan, and almost all of them want their kids to go to college and NOT work in an dirty, noisy and occasionally dangerous factory.
Yep. You pay to put the damn brat through college and he becomes your boss and moves your job to Mexico or kills the company- just like in "Wall Street"!

Old 01-01-2010, 06:37 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Yep. You pay to put the damn brat through college and he becomes your boss and moves your job to Mexico or kills the company- just like in "Wall Street"!
LOL Yup, and they decide that unions have out lived their usefulness and stick up their noses because their fathers come home with dirt and grease under their fingernails.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:37 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,826,114 times
Unions will be one Obamas victims in his march toward statism. They will meet the same fate as Capitalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies