Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 10:47 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
I'm glad that I could get the viewpoint of someone who served. Don't think I'm knocking our soldiers but I think the troops are victims of propaganda. I say this because they're because we are actually invading the Middle East and dying for control of that black gold. I really feel that the Middle Easterners are small fish...It's a little stupid that our Military is abroad fighting for freedom but steps are being taken domestically to get rid of freedom by our GOV'T (Patriot Act and those new driver's license with RFID). Call me crazy but I have a bad feeling about things. I have cousin who served and the guy is very eccentric and I'm very worried about another cousin who's in Japan. To get back on topic, I feel that,in the mind of the troops, they're fighting for freedom but the government sees them as disposable.
the government does see them as expendable. go look up a book called "acceptable loss," written by an Army LRP ranger about his experiences in vietnam.

our expendability notwithstanding, don't assume that anyone that joins the military is naive, bloodthirsty, or a diehard republican. i have already mentioned the fact that there are quite a few people in the united states military that disagree with the war, that disagree with our expansionistic habits, and that think we would be better of taking care of our own country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 12:00 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
have you noticed how yemen keeps coming up in articles now?
Yes, I have. As is Somalia, and Nigeria as well.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:06 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
And i have not come out and said what you are thinking. War is a terrible place to be in period. Is there ever a good reasoning to you for justifing a war. The matter does not matter, because, there is nothing we can do about it, i would love to see this friggin war stop, but we can't I feel so bad for our Men and Women no matter there reason for being in a war. I have not put any one down, as i have seen others do badly on the post here, have not cussed at all. War is terrible, and don't say i am attacking a single perosn,because if you are, this is a lie. I am not going to speak for any one other then my feelings, so do not put words in my mouth please. If you were the President, how would you handle this situation at the present time.! Is there ever a good reason for going to war.

Your thinking is as muddled as your writing. Go back and look at my post. I didn't put any words into your mouth. Not one. My statement was very simple. I pointed out that you had made a "support our troops" post when the OP was inquiring into the reason or justification for engaging in war in the middle east, and that as such, your post was off topic.

It was a very simple observation written in very simple and direct language, but you found a way to misunderstand it anyway -quite a talent.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:46 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
I'm glad that I could get the viewpoint of someone who served. Don't think I'm knocking our soldiers but I think the troops are victims of propaganda. I say this because they're because we are actually invading the Middle East and dying for control of that black gold. I really feel that the Middle Easterners are small fish...It's a little stupid that our Military is abroad fighting for freedom but steps are being taken domestically to get rid of freedom by our GOV'T (Patriot Act and those new driver's license with RFID). Call me crazy but I have a bad feeling about things. I have cousin who served and the guy is very eccentric and I'm very worried about another cousin who's in Japan. To get back on topic, I feel that,in the mind of the troops, they're fighting for freedom but the government sees them as disposable.
They are Warriors, and it is an all profeessional deal, they are there because they chose to be there. I for one, would never have fit in to civilian life. To this day i live at an Army Fort and go there every day.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:05 PM

3 posts, read 1,077 times
I'm kind of confused why people keep bringing up Iran.

lol, Iran is not going to attack us, they don't have the means to attack us nor have they made any threatening gestures towards us.

Quite frankly, who cares if Iran has nuclear technology? Israel has an arsenal of nuclear weapons so I don't understand why they keep crying because Israel is the ones with the illegal occupation and warcrimes, not Iran.

To the point: I wouldn't say they are fighting for 'our' freedom. Soldiers in Iraq or Afghanistan are not fighting for our freedom. This country won't even protect its border as millions of Mexicans flood across it.

When we fought the British, or when we fought the Japanese, it was for our freedom. These other ones are not. And if it wasn't for our lop-sided, ridiculous, support of Israel in the Middle East we wouldn't have these attacks. And Europe needs to stop allowing floods of Muslims in there and allowing them to continue their hostile activities.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:55 PM

1,133 posts, read 712,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingLiberal View Post
This is something I've thought about for quite sometime. Im sure many people will be "outraged" by me saying this, but isn't the whole saying "our soldiers are fighting/dying for our freedom" not really an accurate sentiment? I mean, come on, Iraq, Nam, Korea? None of these wars were fought for our "freedom".
Furthermore, it's been decades since we really fought for our freedom. I think WWII might have been the last time that we truly fought for our freedom.
And before WWII i can only think of two other wars, the Revolution (American) and the war of 1812.

I guess it's just a feel good sentiment. Am I way off base? What say you?

I think a flaming liberal has not the mark of discernment to understand the difference.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:10 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldcotton222 View Post

lol, Iran is not going to attack us, they don't have the means to attack us nor have they made any threatening gestures towards us.

Quite frankly, who cares if Iran has nuclear technology? Israel has an arsenal of nuclear weapons so I don't understand why they keep crying because Israel is the ones with the illegal occupation and warcrimes, not Iran.

To the point: I wouldn't say they are fighting for 'our' freedom. Soldiers in Iraq or Afghanistan are not fighting for our freedom. This country won't even protect its border as millions of Mexicans flood across it.

When we fought the British, or when we fought the Japanese, it was for our freedom. These other ones are not. And if it wasn't for our lop-sided, ridiculous, support of Israel in the Middle East we wouldn't have these attacks. And Europe needs to stop allowing floods of Muslims in there and allowing them to continue their hostile activities.
You're wrong about the Japanese; they were never interested in occupying the United States, only getting us out of their way.

As for everything else you said:

Old 01-03-2010, 09:44 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldcotton222 View Post

Israel is an allie, our friend. Can you document the illegal occupation and warcrimes? I'm curious to know.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:56 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Israel is an allie, our friend. Can you document the illegal occupation and warcrimes? I'm curious to know.
It's called watch something other than FOX News. Did FOX report on the July bombing in 2006 or the most recent assault in 2008 where thousands of civilians were killed in Gaza?

Probably not. The United States and Israel are hated for a reason in the Muslim world, and those reasons include the deaths of countless thousands of innocent civilians

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/inte...hepalestinians

Old 01-04-2010, 01:02 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
I'm "curious to know" what supposed connection there is between your first and second sentences above. You appear to be saying either that we do not befriend nations that commit illegal occupations and war crimes or else that when our friends do it, occupations are not illegal and war crimes are not criminal. Either way, I don't suppose for a minute you would write something that idiotic, at least in a public place where other people might read it.

I'm also mildly curious why you think Israel is an "allie" [sic]. We have no mutual defense treaty with Israel, along the lines of NATO or SEATO or ANZUS. There is an informal friendship borne of a tenacious ethnic lobby, but there is no treaty of alliance.

Lastly, as for Israel thumbing it's nose constantly at international law (ever since its inception in 1948/9), here's a small start:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&h...&v=ogxeTxD_kZ4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies