Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 04:40 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times

Advertisements

If We Don't Fix Senate's Miserable Health Bill, the Repercussions Could Last Decades

And Paul Krugman, while calling the legislation "a seriously flawed bill we'll spend years if not decades fixing," applauded it as "an awesome achievement."
This typifies the current thinking of the "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good" crowd. Unfortunately, there are three faulty premises at work in this line of reasoning. First, that those who oppose the bill do so because it's not perfect (as opposed to because it's a hot health care mess). Second, that the bill is, well, good (as opposed to a total victory for Pharma and the insurance industry -- witness the spectacular spike in health care stocks following Monday's vote).
Third is the premise that this is as good a bill as we can get right now, and we can always go back and improve it later.
It doesn't work that way. We heard the same kinds of sentiments about No Child Left Behind when it passed in 2001

If the miserable Senate health care bill becomes the law of the land, it's only going to encourage the preservation of a hideously broken system. Just how broken the system is is summed up in the fate of Byron Dorgan's drug re-importation amendment.
This is an idea that Obama co-sponsored when he was in the Senate and unequivocally championed on the campaign trail: "We'll allow the safe re-importation of low-cost drugs from countries like Canada."

If We Don't Fix the Senate's Miserable Health Bill, the Repercussions Could Last for Decades | Politics | AlterNet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 06:14 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
Even the left wing kook sites like Pluffington post is against this scam care bill.

Hopefully if this passes against the will of the American people that we can get it repealed soon.

Dems will pay for this for decades.

As I always state thanks to Obama and this demit group of misfit congress nuts the end of liberalism is near in America.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:15 PM

24 posts, read 14,986 times
Huff post is good now huh? lol

Old 01-02-2010, 07:51 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Even the left wing kook sites like Pluffington post is against this scam care bill.

Hopefully if this passes against the will of the American people that we can get it repealed soon.

As I always state thanks to Obama and this demit group of misfit congress nuts the end of liberalism is near in America.

Thanks for kowing his administration is a GROUP OF MISFITS!

Old 01-02-2010, 07:54 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
Fluffington Post. And yes, we will spend decades trying fix this moronic mess of a bill should it pass.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
You all know it won't get "fixed". More money via higher taxes will get thrown at it.
Is SS fixed ? Is medicare fixed ? Is medicaid fixed ? And our reps freely admit there's waste and fraud in those systems. There will be no fixing of this bill and you should all know that as well.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post

I wonder if they will start attacking Arianna Huffington now? How dare she speak out against this bill. Frankly I am surprised. Glad though that they are waking up to the damage of the passage of this bill to America and its people.
She has a lot of followers should be interesting how this plays out.
I wonder who else will come out against this Horrible bill?

I'll bet obama, pelosi, reid are furious with her haha. I wonder if she is going to become a Thorn in obama's side as well? Has she figured out he is dangerous to this country? Hope so will welcome her in our corner!

Old 01-03-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You all know it won't get "fixed". More money via higher taxes will get thrown at it.
Is SS fixed ? Is medicare fixed ? Is medicaid fixed ? And our reps freely admit there's waste and fraud in those systems. There will be no fixing of this bill and you should all know that as well.
Exactly, it is quite sad really that they want to go ahead with this bismal failure.
They should instead concentrate on the
VA hospitals, Indian reservation healthcare, medicaid & medicare and when those are fixed and working like they meant them to work first!

Old 01-03-2010, 08:52 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
I don't know... I never considered Huffington Post as "news"... I thought almost all of their stories were commentary... HP has been pro-socialized medicine from the beginning, any other healthcare bill would be "disaster" in their eyes... so I take their "repercussions" as commentary than news... I remember the Swiss have said that their healthcare was a total disaster as premiums go up every year because they had a lot of "choices" and that it would take government intervention to decrease their choices (read: rationing health care) to decrease the costs and at the last clip, they admitted that their healthcare package would NEVER be fixed but "change" as it goes along... hehehe...

Old 01-03-2010, 10:28 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
I wonder if they will start attacking Arianna Huffington now? How dare she speak out against this bill. Frankly I am surprised. Glad though that they are waking up to the damage of the passage of this bill to America and its people.
She has a lot of followers should be interesting how this plays out.
I wonder who else will come out against this Horrible bill?

I'll bet obama, pelosi, reid are furious with her haha. I wonder if she is going to become a Thorn in obama's side as well? Has she figured out he is dangerous to this country? Hope so will welcome her in our corner!

Oh yea, anyone who goes against the messiah will pay the price.
He and his misfits will take her down in one way or another.

Remember, they are well trained to follow the leader to the cliff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies