U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-03-2010, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Washington
843 posts, read 1,131,280 times
Reputation: 332

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnhilltopper
He never campaigned WITH Don Black ever and as to the one contribution Black made to the Paul campaign, the following statements were made.
Yet he accepted contributions and allowed Black to campaign for him on his white supremacist website.

The quote you just gave, doesnt it seem a bit disingenuouis? If that statement is REALLY what Paul conveys, then that makes him even worst of a person with less principles. He would accept money from people he disagrees with and tell them 'their wasting their money'? So if the taliban or osama bin laden donated to him, would he have accepted it as well? Thats goes to serve as a personal moral failing more than anything.

I do not believe the statement made is true, I think it was simply CYA once he was caught. But even if it is, it does not shine the best of lights on Paul as a person or a candidate.

Quote:
What if one of Obama's campaign contributions came from a Black Panther or one of McCain's contributions came from a person who was a KKK member, does this mean these candidates support or endorse these people because they made a political donation? If this is the standard used to depict what a persons agenda is, then every single political figure in America is likely guilty.
Then Obama and McCain would need to refuse their support. Considering that has not happened, there is no real comparison..

You dont take money from people you 'alledgedly' disagree with. Considering that

1. he takes money from these people, then offers a CYA "hey Ill take money from anyone" statement, whilst those groups endorse him on their hate sites and use his name (which he can legally force them to abstain from if he really disagreed with them).

2. he has a newsletter that made several racist and antisemetic statements over its long run, to which he also offered a CYA (20 years later, only after it became publically known, and he was deciding whether to run for president).

Im sorry, 'after the fact' excuses like this do not seem to fit. If you buy them, thats good for you. But they lack logic or reason ability. They are, in effect, Pauls 'bloody gloves'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2010, 07:31 PM
 
11,127 posts, read 12,657,795 times
Reputation: 3676
Yet we are expect to believe you when you clearly lied in the previous post by stating they campaigned together?

How the hell do you know whether or not a KKK member donated to the McCain campaign or a Black Panther did or didn't contribute to Obama? Did you verify every campaign donation, then check with everyone who made these donations and ask them?

If Al Qaeda donated a million dollars or even 10, I would hope any candidate would keep it because that is one dollar or one million that won't be spent killing our people. You would rather a terrorist have his money on principle than to accept it and have him parted with it? oy vey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 07:34 PM
 
Location: The Woods
16,936 posts, read 22,206,840 times
Reputation: 9020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
Libertarianism is fringe, and the idea that such a social/political backwater philosophy is finding room in the "mainstream" should be cause for great concern. Libertarianism is like the Objectivism of Ayn Rand, nobody--and I mean NOBODY, at least no one who understands them--takes those ideologies seriously.
Libertarianism is encoded in our law, namely, our Constitution.

What do you think you'd call Jefferson and Madison today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 07:42 PM
 
6,745 posts, read 8,276,290 times
Reputation: 1846
I'd vote for Ron Paul in a heart beat if he was a single-payer proponent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 07:45 PM
 
19,216 posts, read 12,949,610 times
Reputation: 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Libertarianism is encoded in our law, namely, our Constitution.

What do you think you'd call Jefferson and Madison today?
Either fringe, or Libertarians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 07:49 PM
 
19,216 posts, read 12,949,610 times
Reputation: 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I'd vote for Ron Paul in a heart beat if he was a single-payer proponent.
He is a single-payer proponent - you have the choice to pay any single one you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 08:21 PM
 
11,127 posts, read 12,657,795 times
Reputation: 3676
In case anyone is interested, Paul will be in Atlanta giving a Campaign for Liberty conference the middle of this month.

Campaign For Liberty — Events

In the wake of his failed Presidential attempt, the Campaign for Liberty organization he started to help get constitutionally minded people elected to local offices has managed to get Matt Collins elected to TN GOP Vice Chair position amid a tussle of protest from the current GOP types. There have been a number of Paulian's which have ran for various offices in the state with some success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Washington
843 posts, read 1,131,280 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Yet we are expect to believe you when you clearly lied in the previous post by stating they campaigned together?
I expect nothing from you, especially after you lied and resorted to ad hominem personal insults in a failed attempt to prove your point. Childish arguments get childish recognition.

Likewise, yes they campaigned together.

If you allow someone to use your likeliness and name in their personal venue, ESPECIALLY if you were aware of it, and received funds from them, THEY ARE CAMPAIGNING FOR YOU. This isnt a new concept.

Quote:
How the hell do you know whether or not a KKK member donated to the McCain campaign or a Black Panther did or didn't contribute to Obama? Did you verify every campaign donation, then check with everyone who made these donations and ask them?

1. The law requires anyone running for fed office to report donations from any group or corporation.

2. Even if a member donated (which you saying 'they could have' does not = they did), there is [b] a large difference between simple donations and campaigning and endorsing publically a candidate.

When Stormfront started dedicating sections of its site to 'Support Ron Paul', and the Blacks donated to Paul (to which he was aware and he accepted their donations), thats campaigning.

ADDED- (on the subject)

Rep. Ron Paul (R) with Rep. Jackson Lee (D) and Republican Commentator Ben Stein

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFdG4...ayer_embedded#

Stein refers to Paul's antisemetism, which is recognized widely on the left and the right.

Last edited by tindo80; 01-03-2010 at 08:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 10:10 PM
 
Location: Midwest City, Oklahoma
8,096 posts, read 4,692,243 times
Reputation: 2877
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
I expect nothing from you, especially after you lied and resorted to ad hominem personal insults in a failed attempt to prove your point. Childish arguments get childish recognition.

Likewise, yes they campaigned together.
I think its pretty sad that you want to silence anyone you disagree with. If you don't like stormfront or Don Black, that is your right. And if you want to campaign to inform prospective voters on the dangers of voting for a candidate based on their policies. That is also your right.

I was watching the History Channel the other day and they were showing the history of the KKK past and then present. In it they were showing a KKK group that was holding a rally in Washington DC(which is their constitutionally protected right). I thought it was strange because there were large groups of people with foghorns trying to break up the rally and make it difficult for them to hear the speach that was being given. Their focus was trying to stop the message of hate.

But I do find it extremely hypocritical that some people think that certain groups should be stripped of their first-amendment rights solely because they disagree with them(even if it is for good reason).

And while I totally understand the concerns of individuals like yourself in regards to the KKK, or neo-nazi's, or anti-government groups, or whoever. I am personally pretty fearful of living in a society without the freedom of speech.

If Ron Paul said these things, then so be it. If someone else wrote it, then so be it. If Ron Paul says he didn't write it but you believe he wrote it, then that is what you believe. The media came out and showed the letters and the connections that Ron Paul had, and Ron Paul didn't get elected. There really isn't anything to complain about. Until Ron Paul can prove the connections were false, he will be held accountable for those letters.

If I was running for office and al'qaeda donated money to my campaign, I would have to choose whether to keep it or not. If I felt like if I kept it that it would hurt my campaign, I would send it back. If I felt it didn't matter or helped me, then I would keep it. And if you don't agree with my choice, then you don't have to vote for me, and you can come on some anonymous forum and complain about it until you are blue in the face to anyone who will listen. Because that is your right to freedom of speech.

I have read so many posts on this forum talking about wanting to "shut Glenn Beck up". Because they consider him a liar, or a distorter of the facts. Well I am pretty sure slander is illegal, and so is being an accessory to murder. If charges are brought against Glenn Beck, and he is convicted of these things by 12 of his peers, then he got what he deserved. If not, then we should protect his right to free speech, because last time I checked, you don't have to listen to him.

Thomas Jefferson absolutely despised the media. He made many quotes about the truthfulness of newspapers(the only news source at the time).

"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper."

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."


But even though he despised the media and felt they were full of liars and corruption. He knew that the only thing more scary than having corrupt news, is to have no news at all(or at least no freedom in news).


"Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2010, 10:17 PM
 
Location: Sarasota, Florida
15,400 posts, read 19,525,972 times
Reputation: 11064
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
Ron Paul's ideas no longer fringe - latimes.com



A Ghandi quote comes to mind: "First they ignore you, then they mock you, then they fight you, then you win."
RuPaul - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9AkXdSjILQ

OOOPPS! You meant Ron Paul..... . FRINGE indeed for both "PAULS" .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top