Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 05:50 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,861,115 times

Advertisements

Ron Paul's ideas no longer fringe - latimes.com

Quote:
In their less drastic forms, however, Paul's ideas are being welcomed by conservatives and viewed with foreboding by liberals. For conservatives, runaway inflation constitutes the biggest potential threat to the nation's future. Liberals worry that cutting back stimulus efforts too soon could slow or even halt the current recovery.

The debate over that question -- what the basic thrust of U.S. economic policy should be -- is likely to dominate the coming elections and Washington policymaking.
A Ghandi quote comes to mind: "First they ignore you, then they mock you, then they fight you, then you win."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 06:00 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
Paul was only labeled "fringe" for the Republican primaries and election cycle to effectively flush him. I have to laugh as I remember all those referring to me as one of the "Paulbots". Ah, how I miss those days of preaching the gospel wearing my tinfoil hat and listening to Giuliani mockingly chuckle under his breath.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:04 PM

24 posts, read 14,986 times
They were always fringe to Fox n Friends, they made him out to be a loon and pushed hard for the likes of McCain and Palin. If they ran old Ron they would have had a chance last election.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:04 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
I don't know why, but I am still surprised that things had to get this screwed up before normal would not be considered fringe.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:15 PM

844 posts, read 1,280,474 times
Since when? Just because a few million more people support you in this nation of 1/3 a billion people does not make your claims free from classification as 'fringe'.

The statements hes made about Jewish people and blacks, as well as his support for and from white supremacist groups = Hes a fringejob.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:14 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
Since when? Just because a few million more people support you in this nation of 1/3 a billion people does not make your claims free from classification as 'fringe'.

The statements hes made about Jewish people and blacks, as well as his support for and from white supremacist groups = Hes a fringejob.
Present his verbatim "statements" with supporting documentation, and we can discuss.

Otherwise, there is no one fringier than a Columbian posting on City Data from the District of Columbia.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:38 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
I agree that he's no longer a fringe character. Although his candidacy for President was a disappointment, I'm still impressed with what seems like a growing interest in libertarianism (small "l").

Old 01-02-2010, 10:49 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I don't know why, but I am still surprised that things had to get this screwed up before normal would not be considered fringe.
Libertarianism is fringe, and the idea that such a social/political backwater philosophy is finding room in the "mainstream" should be cause for great concern. Libertarianism is like the Objectivism of Ayn Rand, nobody--and I mean NOBODY, at least no one who understands them--takes those ideologies seriously.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:50 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
Libertarianism is like the Objectivism of Ayn Rand, nobody--and I mean NOBODY, at least no one who understands them--takes those ideologies seriously.
"His warnings on deficits and inflation are now Republican mantras."

Old 01-02-2010, 10:51 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I think that's a bit harsh.

It is true that some of Ron Paul's ideas are now being taken seriously. It wasn't that long ago that he was laughed at. For example, the article says:
Paul's long-derided proposal to give Congress supervisory power over the traditionally independent Federal Reserve appears to be on its way to becoming law.
Ha! Nothing but political theater, you'll have universal healthcare before that EVER happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies