U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 11:29 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,563,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman View Post
Most people I know did very well under Bush.
Up until the mortgage scam burst, many Americans were doing well.
Flipping and heloc'ing and charging their way to fame and fortune.

They weren't complaing then. Then the bubble burst, easy credit dried up and the flipping flopped. Their bank accounts are empty and they want and need to blame some one or some entity other then themselves.

The lost decade is our fault. We sat by and let it all happen.
The people who tried to alert us to the offshoring problem of the 90's were told that it was not a problem..we'd move to the next phase in the next new industry. Only they never defined what it was and no one bothered to press them on it so we watched our white collar jobs get shipped out.

Now we have no money, no credit and no good jobs left.
Blame ? Why just look in the mirror. Too many apathetic voters and citizens over the past decade got us to where we are today.

The milk has been spilt, the bridge has collapsed. 40 years of slow offshoring our industries and now the normal Joe's wake up and ask "What happened ?"

Prepare for a new America folks, one that will be different than before but not necessarily better than before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 11:39 AM

24,839 posts, read 30,119,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
You mean the stimulus by Obama didn't create or save more jobs? Hahahahhaha... I never bought it for a second... Japan tried the same thing and it didn't work... but if you listen to fanatic liberals, it worked because they seen the future and it would of been worse... liberals second job is fortune teller... now, do you believe in fortune tellers with your money?
really? You are going to turn it around on the guy that's been in office for 11 months instead of the guy that was in office for 8 of the last 10 years? That doesn't fly with me, or anyone else with half a brain.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:42 AM

24,839 posts, read 30,119,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
And to think under Clinton my small business had 3 employees and was not going anywhere.

Thanks to Bush and his pro small business tax cuts and pro business growth I was able to grow to 27 employees and sell the business in 2007 and retire at 40 years old.

Not to darn bad.

All thanks to Bush and his pro business growth policies.

Glad I sold when I did because this anti small business and jealous admin would have destroyed the business and its net worth for sure.

Capitalism works folks, I am walking proof of it. Give people who are willing work 16-20 hour days and a great business idea and you will see more jobs created then you can handle. Of course this admin is totally against this idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
It's truly wonderful that your situation improved so markedly.

It's unfortunate that you can't see that your good situation was a rare exception over the past decade.

Our current recession is the result of other economic policies that didn't bear fruit like the one that helped your business.
I would guess that for all the SMALL businesses that may have thrived under Bush, the LARGE business who employed the most people, all went over seas. I can't find a darn thing that is made in the USA anymore. That's a net loss for Bush.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I would guess that for all the SMALL businesses that may have thrived under Bush, the LARGE business who employed the most people, all went over seas. I can't find a darn thing that is made in the USA anymore. That's a net loss for Bush.
The pieces though had to be in place. I think it started years before Bush though. It did escalate under Bush but I think that's because all the rules were in place by then and gave corporations the green light to fully engage.

We may need to go as far back as NAFTA and maybe even earlier to piece together all the changes that enabled the great American producer nation to turn into the poor American consumer nation. The fault lies with both parties over the years.

Now, the question is where does America go from here ?
We can lay blame and finger point all we want on the past but it won't change the present and I don't see much planning going on for the future.

All I hear is that we have to "create jobs". Sounds nice and reads nice on paper but where's the meat ? Where's the planning ? Where's the strategy ? What are these jobs ? These are the questions we should be asking our reps today when they talk of stimulus and new jobs.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:58 AM

12,266 posts, read 9,452,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Up until the mortgage scam burst, many Americans were doing well.
Exactly. To make it worse, everyone knew the bubble was going to pop. People forget there were two years worth of news stories wondering when the bubble was going to go. This was a slow-motion catastrophe everyone saw coming.

What kills me is the Dems are pouring money into FNM, giving them a blank check and guaranteeing this is going to happen all over again.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Exactly. To make it worse, everyone knew the bubble was going to pop. People forget there were two years worth of news stories wondering when the bubble was going to go. This was a slow-motion catastrophe everyone saw coming.

What kills me is the Dems are pouring money into FNM, giving them a blank check and guaranteeing this is going to happen all over again.
Only one phrase describes why nothing was done: "consensus denial"

We are doing that yet again today. "green shoots" anyone ? "less bad" is good ?

Old 01-03-2010, 12:09 PM

4,687 posts, read 5,541,077 times
Quote:
really? You are going to turn it around on the guy that's been in office for 11 months instead of the guy that was in office for 8 of the last 10 years? That doesn't fly with me, or anyone else with half a brain.

Quote:
I can't find a darn thing that is made in the USA anymore.
And that has decimated the blue-collar middle class in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
All I hear is that we have to "create jobs". Sounds nice and reads nice on paper but where's the meat ? Where's the planning ? Where's the strategy ? What are these jobs ? These are the questions we should be asking our reps today when they talk of stimulus and new jobs.
Energy - specifically, "green" jobs, featuring good manufacturing jobs that - if anyone in power has a grain of common sense - stay in this country.

We need to MAKE things in this country, plain and simple.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:14 PM

15,740 posts, read 9,263,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post

And that has decimated the blue-collar middle class in this country.

Energy - specifically, "green" jobs, featuring good manufacturing jobs that - if anyone in power has a grain of common sense - stay in this country.

We need to MAKE things in this country, plain and simple.
Actually, the union mentality is what has decimated the blue-collar class in this country.

Green jobs are a joke. They use government "feel good" dollars to create businesses that aren't profitable and cost more than just money.

We DO need to get back to making things in this country. But the route we're going isn't the way.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:17 PM

1,353 posts, read 3,206,338 times
Megachurches and country music enjoyed a booming renaissance during the Bush years, on the other hand.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:26 PM

14,334 posts, read 15,150,978 times
I did pretty good from 2000-2010.

I'm confident I'll continue to do so as long as I've got my faculties and a willingness to seek out the opportunities this country and some other parts of the world may offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies