Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 01:59 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,373,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
No one is over-reacting...

We are merely considering logical, reasonable and effective ways to keep American citizens from being killed...

Stop dramatizing the 'where does this stop' line of reasoning - by that thought process - nothing can be tried - because they all infringe on our liberties to some extent. If anyone is over-reacting - you are.
Oh no, I've heard politicians saying we should ban all Muslims from air travel for a given amount of time. There is a thread on this board saying we should suspend Muslims from entering our country for the next 10 to 15 years.

Asking where things are going to stop isn't overreacting, its thinking in real terms.

I'm all for thorough body scans, although they won't stop the terrorism either. I'm all for some kind of technological breakthrough to try and find explosives on any person inside an airport. However, concentrating all screening onto one religious group will only make things worse. Its overreacting to a problem that can't be fixed that way.

If someone wants to throw a lot of money into developing a screening method that works, thats good. If someone wants to ban Muslims, search everyone who "looks Muslim", or strip search everyone who is getting on a plane, thats overreacting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 02:21 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,616,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Oh no, I've heard politicians saying we should ban all Muslims from air travel for a given amount of time. There is a thread on this board saying we should suspend Muslims from entering our country for the next 10 to 15 years.

Asking where things are going to stop isn't overreacting, its thinking in real terms.

I'm all for thorough body scans, although they won't stop the terrorism either. I'm all for some kind of technological breakthrough to try and find explosives on any person inside an airport. However, concentrating all screening onto one religious group will only make things worse. Its overreacting to a problem that can't be fixed that way.

If someone wants to throw a lot of money into developing a screening method that works, thats good. If someone wants to ban Muslims, search everyone who "looks Muslim", or strip search everyone who is getting on a plane, thats overreacting.
I did not say any of those things you are claiming above - so you ARE over-reacting towards me - BIG TIME...

Some want to stick their head in the sand, be a politically correct coward -too afraid to speak their mind for fear of offending someone.

The fact is that Muslims are conducting this war of terror against us - and you can't fight it by being on guard against Swedes or Eskimos - but against those who might have been 'radicalized' by hate-filled Imans and jihadists...

Old 01-03-2010, 02:34 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,234,309 times
Quote:
IThe fact is that Muslims are conducting this war of terror against us .
The fact is it's a relative few Muslims conducting it. Profiling all of them would make about as much sense as having profiled all Catholics, includng Americans, flying to Northern Ireland during the civil war there because the IRA terrorists were Catholic.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
The fact is it's a relative few Muslims conducting it. Profiling all of them would make about as much sense as having profiled all Catholics, includng Americans, flying to Northern Ireland during the civil war there because the IRA terrorists were Catholic.
No one is saying profile all of them, but folks like you are against profiling any of them...

Your weak analogy is farcical.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
No one is saying profile all of them, but folks like you are against profiling any of them...

Your weak analogy is farcical.
Maybe because I believe in abiding by the constitution, which you clearly don't.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Maybe because I believe in abiding by the constitution, which you clearly don't.
Here you go - jumping to wild, baseless conclusions because you are frustrated and can't win a debate...

Are you like this in real life - or just on the internet?

Old 01-03-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Here you go - jumping to wild, baseless conclusions because you are frustrated and can't win a debate...

Are you like this in real life - or just on the internet?
Let me get this straight. You propose profiling people based on their religion and I tell you can't because it's unconstitutional. What's wild and baseless?

Old 01-03-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Let me get this straight. You propose profiling people based on their religion and I tell you can't because it's unconstitutional. What's wild and baseless?
You would profile based on country of origin, where they have traveled recently, based on FACTS that give you reason for a closer look....

You would NOT profile based soley on religion - that would be held unconstitutional I'm sure - although I can't help it if those countries we need fear are overwhelmingly Muslim.

Yes - that would result in more muslims being profiled - because we are fighting Islamic terrorism and need to keep watch on those who go to areas where 'jihadist radicalization' is a fact of life. It's not my fault that Islam persecutes other religions out of existance... and that the countries we need worry about - where Al Queda and jihadist training camps reside -are overwhelmingly muslim.

So - out of curiosity - which clause in the constitution makes profiling unlawful - do you even know?

Old 01-03-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
You would profile based on country of origin, where they have traveled recently, based on FACTS that give you reason for a closer look....

You would NOT profile based soley on religion - that would be held unconstitutional I'm sure - although I can't help it if those countries we need fear are overwhelmingly Muslim.

Yes - that would result in more muslims being profiled - because we are fighting Islamic terrorism and need to keep watch on those who go to areas where 'jihadist radicalization' is a fact of life. It's not my fault that Islam persecutes other religions out of existance... and that the countries we need worry about - where Al Queda and jihadist training camps reside -are overwhelmingly muslim.

So - out of curiosity - which clause in the constitution makes profiling unlawful - do you even know?
Oh so you agree now that profiling on religion, the only thing you previously suggested is unconstitutional. Now you're talking country of origin which is permissible. You're changing your story. But keep in mind, you cannot single out muslims so you'll be treating everyone from those countries the same. Religious profiling would presumably be ruled unconstitutional under Amendment 1.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:38 PM

If you're going to do it by country of origin why do it at the airport? Why not just be more selective about who from these countries get visas from our embassies and consulates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies