Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is GW BUSH regular or elite?
Yes, Bush is an elite 36 81.82%
No, Bush is a regular guy 8 18.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 02:29 PM

989 posts, read 2,761,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Regular guys don't become President of the United States!! Or CEO of large corporations , Pastors of large churches, brain surgeons, astronauts, military generals, but that doesnt make them an elitists!
Elitist implies that you feel superior and look down upon others. I didn't say that, and it was not in the question.

Jesse Owens was certainly an "elite" athlete, but was in no way "elitist"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 02:36 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evlevo View Post
Elitist implies that you feel superior and look down upon others. I didn't say that, and it was not in the question.

Jesse Owens was certainly an "elite" athlete, but was in no way "elitist"
Well I would say according to that description, he would be far less an elitist than his predecesor who was a well documented elitist, again if you become president you got have alittle of that going on!

Old 05-22-2007, 02:41 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
Thanks for the definitions--although elite can be taken as "highest class" - I know I am an elitist and my class is as high as or as low as I take it. But I am a snob, have often been called arrogant, and suffer seriously from intellectual hubris!

Regular is more obvious to mean, and as I said, Bush is just a regular elitist, not elite in my view, although my esteemed colleague and friend, Silas777, thinks that Presidents have more elite qualities than others. Several presidents probably were "elite" but at the moment I am loathe to name even one. No, I'll take that back, I'll name one: Thomas Jefferson.

To be elite implies greater than, not largesse. Elitism on the other hand can be a member of an elite group and not necessarily include its membership as elite themselves. So, although President Bush comes from a family of elected officials, all of whom were monied, I don't consider any of them elite, but elitist.

Convoluted but my take on the issue!

Old 05-22-2007, 02:43 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
My gum, I agree with you! Clinton is and was my kind of elitist--a scholarship boy that went all the way!

And more of an intellectual than our current president.

Quote:
Well I would say according to that description, he would be far less an elitist than his predecesor who was a well documented elitist, again if you become president you got have alittle of that going on!

Old 05-22-2007, 03:26 PM

413 posts, read 2,560,754 times
Quote:
Regular guys don't become President of the United States!! Or CEO of large corporations , Pastors of large churches, brain surgeons, astronauts, military generals, but that doesnt make them an elitists!
Yeah they do. Plenty of people came from dirt poor backgrounds with no advantages to go onward, raise themselves by their bootstraps, and become successful.

I don't think we've ever had a president of the United States aside from Lincoln who was raised in poverty or at least not in the modern age. Takes too much connections and money nowadays. We need more campaign finance reform.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:28 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
With what he has done, he cannot really be considered a regular guy.

Elitist, yes, but an example of the elite as in, something admirable -no.

An earlier post mentioned pastors and brain surgeons in the same sentence. I have say I am mystified by that analogy.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:43 PM

989 posts, read 2,761,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post

I don't think we've ever had a president of the United States aside from Lincoln who was raised in poverty or at least not in the modern age. Takes too much connections and money nowadays. We need more campaign finance reform.
What about the man from Hope, Arkasas?

Born poor, divorced parents, alcoholic step-father. Compare Clinton's upbringing to GW Bush, and there really are no two greater opposites.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:59 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,053 times
He pretends he is a good ole boy from Texas to disarm people, nothing could be further from the truth...

Anyone remember when Bush and his cronnies wanted to turn the security of our ports over to a Muslim country? The United Arab Emirates???

He AND his family have massive connections there...thats not regular guy kind of thing...

I have watched his speeches and the fact he is a disastrous public spearker doesn't mean he is clueless in fact I have to wonder if he doesn't use a part of that in order to make himself seem even more regular.

I don't know many regular guys whose Father was a president, whose brother is a governor (was) of Texas and himself the current president...that kind of removes him from that group...ranch near Waco or not...

Old 05-22-2007, 04:08 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
He was not born in Texas, let us remember!

Old 05-22-2007, 04:28 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
Bush belongs to the Boston Brahmin class of Old Money New England. If you read his pedigree you'll see he's related to several royal houses of Europe and early founders here. His clubs and education are fairly typical and a dead giveaway. He may have been a 'legacy' candidate for his degrees which could explain his less than stellar performance. His is certainly a case of 'who you know'.

I don't think his parents did him a lick of good bringing him to Texas. He comes off well neither as an elite nor a regular guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies