U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 10:20 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,201,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'm a proponent of spanking. In my view, parents who don't spank are merely addressing a weakness in their own upbringing. Otherwise, they'd understand the positive outcome (ie. respect) that comes with a child understanding who's boss. The Time-Out Chair is for cop-outs.
I actually responded better to time out (big time fear of social isolation, needed to have constant attention) than spanking...with spanking the pain went away and things were immediately back to normal (the time out took longer).

Again, it depends on a lot of factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 10:31 PM

1,914 posts, read 3,122,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
That's a crock. Countless children have been raised successfully with getting spanked

Spanking is easy. It's quick and frankly thoughtless and far too often done in anger..

Discipling without spanking requires thought. THAT is why it's not all that popular with many.
Here is your problem. You ASSUME it's a "thoughtless" action and it's so "easy" and it's an off-the-cuff REACTION as opposed to a thought out disciplinary tool. Seriously, your kids disobeyed you 10x in as many minutes and you were NEVER angry at them for doing so? Because you know they did - no matter the "table talk" and Soprano "sit downs" you had with them.

I wonder how "wonderful" everyone else thought your kids were...and didn't tell you.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:01 PM

15,013 posts, read 10,685,273 times
Some of the worst spankings i received were at school when i was growing up. When you did something wrong at school their were consquences to pay and i only did them once after mr cheeseman layed a board on my behind. Spanking teaches right from wrong the spankings i got at home were mild to the ones i recieved at school. At the time the spankings hurt me but as i got older i was able to figure out it is better to do right than wrong and i thank everyone that spanked me especially my parents.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:34 PM

3,398 posts, read 7,128,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
"Taste the whip, in love not given lightly...."
There's truth to that. If I were her, Id have done ALOT more than a smack on the butt as a final resort.

And to the person who said (roughly) that a kid will gorw to hate their parent if the parent spanks them..I dont know alot about that subject, but I do know this:
When a child is a child, that is not the time for a friendship between child and parent. It is time for parent to be a parent, and a child to be a child. The friendship will grow between the two when the child matures enough to know that what the parent was doing was for the child's own damn good.

As a kid, my mom wasnt my friend. She was my mom. Now she is both my mom and my friend, and I love her with all of my heart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I got a "whuppin" every week, I can attest to this claim. I look back and laugh because I know that I wouldn't be who I am today without those whuppins. My Mom laid the smackdown on me, lol. If she didn't get me for the things I did, I probably would not have the good head that I have and respect for her or others.
Amen. +1.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:57 PM

1,598 posts, read 2,637,896 times
I don't think kids think parents are "their friends" when they take away the car keys, television, phone, time with friends, or make them pull weeds, do community service etc... before they get their privileges back.

There are so many effective consequences I can't for the life of me understand why a parent would feel it necessary to hit a child.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:09 AM

25,107 posts, read 35,124,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Countless children have been raised successfully with getting spanked

Yes - thank you. A voice of reason

Old 01-06-2010, 03:09 AM

10,494 posts, read 23,130,618 times
Well the study is crap because I was constantly spanked by by my dad as a child and I neither happy or successful.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:40 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,675,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Well the study is crap because I was constantly spanked by by my dad as a child and I neither happy or successful.
Well its likely then that you were not displended and stil don;t know the difference. It didn't say that spankings alone will make you happy or sucessful. Just as your name implies there are rich and sucessful drunks too.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:52 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,201,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Countless kids have had problems due to spanking. My parents stopped when they realized that behavior actually worsened. So they did a planned ignore strategy (read time out). They found out it worked better than spanking.

The reason was that the spanking, for me, still was communication. Thus, I got a response out of them. Getting a response was reinforcing. Calling attention to the behavior and isolation (time out) was not reinforcing to me.

It really does depend on the child and the parent. A child who seeks attention may actually have the behavior reinforced with spanking.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:48 AM

4,028 posts, read 6,382,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
That's not the argument. The argument is that it makes you more successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies