Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:32 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I don't know how all of the research is done either, but I do have a basic understanding of science and math, which is more than I can say for some people. I don't see much scientific rebuttal from the deniers. All I see is thread after thread started about some unusual weather.
this right here is a joke. if you have not seen discussions about the science, you have not been looking.

there are several of us who have talked about the science non-stop. We just cant get anyone from the panic side to join in discussion about the science.

see the posts on the previous page. One of your panic buddies used the word Chemistry. when asked direct questions about the science related, I got the following reply: "google is your friend"

go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 08:48 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
Where the "Floppenhagen" crowd , Al "Bore" and the self-proclaimed "Climatologists" of the IPCC completely miss the point, is that there are drawing short/middle term charts when climate change is a very long-term phenomenon (remember the Earth has 5 billion years!) and the analysis of weather on a century doesn't provide much of a clue, moreover, as pure scientists, they are prone to ignore the lessons of human history, thus forgetting that if human civilizations have been able to thrive in the Northern Hemisphere for thousands of years, it's due to the fact that the weather in the past was temperate enough to allow the survival of milliosn of humans without central heating, comfortable clothes, modern medicine, and every comfort we take for granted in the 21st Century.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:30 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,395,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Where the "Floppenhagen" crowd , Al "Bore" and the self-proclaimed "Climatologists" of the IPCC completely miss the point, is that there are drawing short/middle term charts when climate change is a very long-term phenomenon (remember the Earth has 5 billion years!) and the analysis of weather on a century doesn't provide much of a clue, moreover, as pure scientists, they are prone to ignore the lessons of human history, thus forgetting that if human civilizations have been able to thrive in the Northern Hemisphere for thousands of years, it's due to the fact that the weather in the past was temperate enough to allow the survival of milliosn of humans without central heating, comfortable clothes, modern medicine, and every comfort we take for granted in the 21st Century.
Al Gore is not a scientist. He is a lawyer, who failing in that vocation, became a politician, who failing to br elected, became a film maker.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:20 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times
The Op is confusing weather with climate. Climate happens over a 30 year period while weather is in the here and now.

The trend for climate is that of a warming trend and for such a dramatic change 30 years is way too short of a period to reflect such a change as we have experienced. While we will continue to have periods of cold and so forth in fact we do have a warming trend.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:30 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
ScienceDaily (June 11, 2004) — Secrets of the Earth's past climate locked in a three-kilometre long Antarctic ice core are revealed this week in the journal Nature. The core from Dome C, high on East Antarctica's plateau, contains snowfall from the last 740,000 years and is by far the oldest continuous climate record obtained from ice cores so far.
Oldest Antarctic Ice Core Reveals Climate History

Old 01-08-2010, 10:09 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
the point is that your theory is in fact too "simple". Global warming is something that happens over time, decades, and even hundreds and thousands of years. Not one year.....explain why polar cap ice is melting?

the sun?

Old 01-08-2010, 10:19 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
the sun?
I wonder if these warmers have any idea why although the north pole ice is melting each summer the eastern side of the South Pole continues to grow more ice while the west side tends to diminish. I think there is too much to think about there for them since they have accepted a consensus which is not at all scientific. Science takes in change as natural but never comes to a consensus like the warmers keep talking about.

It gets funnier and funnier, especially when we are having the worst winter in 40 years where I live. Tonight will be the first time we have gone below zero since 1970 when we made it every night for 20 nights in January.

The best part of the whole thing is that they can't allow the lack of sun spots the last several years to be involved when all real scientists know that is part of the problem. They are too funny, but I bet Algore better not come out in public for another week or so in my part of the world which isn't so far from his home.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:21 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
the point is that your theory is in fact too "simple". Global warming is something that happens over time, decades, and even hundreds and thousands of years. Not one year.....explain why polar cap ice is melting?
It's not. Who told you it was?

Polar Sea Ice Cap and Snow - Cryosphere Today

Knock yourself out playing with this.

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/archive.html

Wow, looky here; A comparison of sea ice Jan 7, 1980 to Jan 7 2010.

http://igloo.atmos.uiuc.edu/cgi-bin/...&sd=07&sy=2010

Amazing, isn't it?

Compare any two dates you want. Be sure to look in 2007, the year when the AGW went nuts because the sea ice was disappearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Of course its simple, and for most deniers, they have to have it this way. In fact, for most deniers, the issue is not at all scientific but political. They feel they can better understand it this way, its more comfortable discussing politics for them
Is the above links too simple for you? Can you deny what your eyes are telling you? Sea Ice has increased, even though the believers claim otherwise. A picture is really worth a thousand words.

Last edited by sanrene; 01-08-2010 at 10:34 PM..

Old 01-08-2010, 10:25 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Of course its simple, and for most deniers, they have to have it this way. In fact, for most deniers, the issue is not at all scientific but political. They feel they can better understand it this way, its more comfortable discussing politics for them

so according to you and others, if the sun magically disappeared tomorrow, the temp of the planet would still keep going up.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:38 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times
[quote=kentuckydad95;12293949]I am confused on this global warming issue. It was 5 degrees here in my part of KY last night. Had a major ice storm last year about this time. We have had four seasons here for as long as I can remember. Sometimes above normal temps and other times, normal or below temps. Shouldn't it be getting WARMER here all the time? I have a simple theory as to why we are still having four seasons and temps going up and down like normal...

GLOBAL WARMING DOESN'T EXIST!!![/quot Well you're in luck....here's the "smart" answer!

Enough threads on Global Melting...educate yourself...then repost.....

Experts: Cold snap doesn't disprove global warming | Science News | Comcast.net (http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-science/20100106/SCI.Big.Chill/ - broken link)

http://www.city-data.com/forum/12271362-post23.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/12271485-post24.html

Where's your links to prove "your point"??? http://www.city-data.com/forum/12285355-post65.html .

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 01-08-2010 at 11:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies