U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Concern level:
Completely apathetic 42 30.22%
Little concern 13 9.35%
Moderately concerned 25 17.99%
Very Concerned 52 37.41%
Keeps me up at night 7 5.04%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2010, 10:22 AM
 
Location: McKinleyville, California
6,413 posts, read 9,132,270 times
Reputation: 4225

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Probably. How it came to be that a group needs SPECIAL treatment in order to feel EQUAL I dont know. Must be a liberal concept.......
Let me see now, a group that needs special treatment in order to feel equal. Does that not fit every single black person in the US of A? Think about that for a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2010, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
20,364 posts, read 13,888,420 times
Reputation: 5237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
I believe that they do. Heterosexuals are all for special treatment for themselves.

Perhaps they're just so insecure about their relationship. It's gotten to the point that heterosexuals fervently marry each other and require that they are the only type of people to be given this treatment.

After all, they're special. Remember?
Special, in that when they have sex they will produce children, even if they do not want children. Which is why society encourages its men and women to get married, and why society wants their government to support married couples, because of the children they produce for succeeding generations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
I don't see how homosexuals are asking for "special" treatment - as many have claimed. Homosexuals are asking for one thing:

To have their relationships treated the exact same way as the relationships of heterosexuals.
You mistakenly believe that society supports and promotes marriage because society gives a crap if two people love each other or not. But you are wrong. Society knows that its future is tied to the future generation, the children created by couples of men and women. Two gay men who love each other is not why society puts so much money, time and effort into promoting and supporting marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Whether it's Civil Unions for all, I don't care. I'd happily rip up my marriage certificate in exchange for a civil union. And I'm sure my husband would be taking the ripped up pieces and burning them.
If a happy couple that is allowed to be married is all you are concerned with, then any private ceremony two gays want, in order to pledge their love and devotion to each other is fine.

If two gays marry each other, and want to share names, property and inheritance then they can draw up a legal contract, and lobby government to honor their wishes.

If two gays adopt a baby, they should receive all the benefits receive access to all the social government support programs that any person gets, who adopts a child.

The bottom line is billions in government and private charitable programs do not go towards supporting, encouraging and endorsing marriage, because we all just like to see people in love, declaring their love for each other enjoying fairy tale wedding gowns and cake. Its all about children; there is no other reason why we pour billions of dollars of public and private money into programs to support marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
20,364 posts, read 13,888,420 times
Reputation: 5237
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Let me see now, a group that needs special treatment in order to feel equal. Does that not fit every single black person in the US of A? Think about that for a bit.
That is a bit disparaging towards black people.

This desire for special treatment does not apply to all people, just the liberal ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 10:34 AM
 
Location: McKinleyville, California
6,413 posts, read 9,132,270 times
Reputation: 4225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Special, in that when they have sex they will produce children, even if they do not want children. Which is why society encourages its men and women to get married, and why society wants their government to support married couples, because of the children they produce for succeeding generations.


You mistakenly believe that society supports and promotes marriage because society gives a crap if two people love each other or not. But you are wrong. Society knows that its future is tied to the future generation, the children created by couples of men and women. Two gay men who love each other is not why society puts so much money, time and effort into promoting and supporting marriage.


If a happy couple that is allowed to be married is all you are concerned with, then any private ceremony two gays want, in order to pledge their love and devotion to each other is fine.

If two gays marry each other, and want to share names, property and inheritance then they can draw up a legal contract, and lobby government to honor their wishes.

If two gays adopt a baby, they should receive all the benefits receive access to all the social government support programs that any person gets, who adopts a child.

The bottom line is billions in government and private charitable programs do not go towards supporting, encouraging and endorsing marriage, because we all just like to see people in love, declaring their love for each other enjoying fairy tale wedding gowns and cake. Its all about children; there is no other reason why we pour billions of dollars of public and private money into programs to support marriage.
Why should we gay and lesbian people who support our country too with our taxes have to resort to extra legal means to insure our security when there are already marriage laws that do the very same thing, except that the marriage laws and rights that mount up to a whopping 1049 rights only costs the couple about $85 for the fee and gays and lesbians are denied those 1049 rights, yet have to pay thousands more to attorneys to extract just a few paltry protections that amount to a hill of beans. Marriage is not all about children, that is so bogus. If that were the case, senior citizens should not be allowed to marry, nor should any couple that does not plan on having kids or cannot. You do realize that less than 50% of straight marriages are raising kids. It is simple, Marriage is about two people wanting to share their lives and love together, not because they want to have kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Palm Springs, CA
26,529 posts, read 25,032,784 times
Reputation: 7739
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
The GLBT confuses wants with rights. They have the same rights as everyone else.
I agree, except for what's going on in the military: A heterosexual has a "right" to talk about his or her personal life with others, while a homosexual does not. Whether you call that a right or a privilege - I don't care - it's an imbalance of equality, and it's harmful to everyone, not just homosexuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Palm Springs, CA
26,529 posts, read 25,032,784 times
Reputation: 7739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Where are they not equal? Actually, with hate crimes legislation and affirmative action hiring laws, they are more then equal, they have more rights and protections.
This is false. Laws protecting people on the basis of sexual orientation protect everybody equally. The laws say nothing about special rights for homosexuals.

Quit lying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 10:45 AM
 
Location: McKinleyville, California
6,413 posts, read 9,132,270 times
Reputation: 4225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
That is a bit disparaging towards black people.

This desire for special treatment does not apply to all people, just the liberal ones.
What is disparaging about what I said? It is the truth, if people like you had their way in the 60's then black Americans would still be forbidden from marrying anyone of a race other that black. No one is seeking special treatment, just the same treatment. We want to have all the same protections and rights as you do and not pay through the teeth for them. If anyone has special treatment, it is heterosexuals. You are so special that you get 1049 special rights and privileges granted by the US government and if that were not enough you get DOMA , the defense of straight marriage act. Talk about special treatment. You are so used to your marriage rights that you do not even realize it is special treatment till others want the same and then you think that others want special treatment instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Palm Springs, CA
26,529 posts, read 25,032,784 times
Reputation: 7739
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
Let's perform an experiment: place 100 hetero couples and 100 gay couples each on separate islands with no connection to the outside world. In 100 years let's pay each island a visit and see which population increased. There has never been a society ordered on the idea of homosexual marriage. The reason being marriage is first and foremost for procreation. Without extraordinary external measures gays cannot reproduce. Or in the buzzword so popular today: gay marriages are unsustainable. Civil unions are fine with me by the way. And I don't buy the separate but equal analogy because there is no equivalence between a married couple and a hetero couple united under a civil union. They are apples and oranges. As far as society is concerned hetero sexual marriage is infinitely more significant a state and worthy of higher status. But if in a 100 years the island with the gay couples has exceeded the hetero island in population growth I'd be open to revisiting the issue.
This is pretty ridiculous because there's nothing in the marriage laws that says anyone has to reproduce in order to have a valid marriage. You're assuming that all or most heterosexual couples have children when the truth is that only about half do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 10:51 AM
 
1,461 posts, read 1,287,543 times
Reputation: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
There is no plight or issues that have anything to do with anyone except those who are homosexual and most of those issues are invented by self centered folks who wish to change the reality to suit themselves.

Lets see, gay folks can vote, live where they like, go where they like, work where they like, buy what they like, sleep with who they like, get married ect, ect, ect. Wheres the civil rights issue?
Sorry, gay folks cannot live where they like since most states and localities have not prohibited bias in housing laws; in only a few states are gay marriages recognized, gays cannot take tax benefits due to marriage restrictions, cannot serve openly in the militiary, cannot have jobs since job protection for gays is only in a few states and localities. Wonder why there are not enough Arabic translators in the US govt? Under don't ask don't tell gay Arabic linguist were kicked out of several US agencies including the militiary, putting homophobia over national security. The Governor elect of Va., McDonnell said on Oct. 13 that he will not renew the existing Governor's order banning discrimination based on sexual orientation, meaning politics is more important than those who do a job well. Gay youth are discriminated against while in school, through hazing, restrictions from clubs and are subject to mental torture by those trying to make them straight; hell, they can't even take their boyfriends or girlfriends to proms in many places. We have come a long, long way, but we have a long way to go.

Gay Americans are denied their heritage by not learning of the great American men and women who were gay. The list can start with Alexander Hamilton whose love letters to Laurens still survive to the present day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Vermont
10,309 posts, read 11,232,767 times
Reputation: 14194
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
It would be stupid because the mating of heterosexuals is normal and how life works. Gays live for today where heterosexuals concern themselves with their future generations.
What a ridiculous, bigoted statement.

I was tempted to say that you must not know any gay people, but if you really believe that heterosexuals universally concern themselves with future generations then you obviously don't know any heterosexuals either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top