U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Concern level:
Completely apathetic 42 30.22%
Little concern 13 9.35%
Moderately concerned 25 17.99%
Very Concerned 52 37.41%
Keeps me up at night 7 5.04%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2010, 05:07 PM

7,450 posts, read 5,826,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
They can certainly get married to the oposite sex just like everyone else. Why should they be given special treatment just because they are gay?

They're not getting special treatment. A hetero would still be able marry a person of the same gender.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 05:09 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,513,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
That person is being irrational. I keep asking him/her to address my point of what are gay people like me suppose to do, marry someone I don't have feelings for emotionally, since in his narrow minded neocon world, gays shouldn't marry, but yet I get no response.

What should you do? Whatever you want. If you want marriage find a woman. If you want to be gay be gay. Marriage is just a piece of paper, if you think a piece of paper makes a relationship then your sadly mistaken.

The fact is that the only reason that gay people want to get married now is to avoid losing out on theoretical bennies that were put in place to help people raise families ect. Since there is zero chance of a gay couple bearing offspring, the only societal benefit of marriage, the concept of gay marriage is counter productive. Get over it, you are gay, just be happy with yourself & live your life.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
They're not getting special treatment. A hetero would still be able marry a person of the same gender.

Thanks for explaining EXACTLY how homo marriage makes all marriage meaningless.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
What should you do? Whatever you want. If you want marriage find a woman. If you want to be gay be gay. Marriage is just a piece of paper, if you think a piece of paper makes a relationship then your sadly mistaken.

The fact is that the only reason that gay people want to get married now is to avoid losing out on theoretical bennies that were put in place to help people raise families ect. Since there is zero chance of a gay couple bearing offspring, the only societal benefit of marriage, the concept of gay marriage is counter productive. Get over it, you are gay, just be happy with yourself & live your life.
Except gay couples can still have children.

Ever heard of surrogates? Adoption?

And by your logic, we should ban all infertile people from getting married as well.

Marriage is an arcane idea, to be certain. WHich is why it should be abolished and civil unions should be in place for all. However, until such a thing, giving heteros marriage but not gays is discrimination, plain and simple.

Quote:
Thanks for explaining EXACTLY how homo marriage makes all marriage meaningless.
I fail to see how that makes all marriage meaningless.

Myself, I'd think the 5 hour weddings is what makes it meaningless nowadays.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
That's pretty much the size of it. Since you techically can "marry" someone, albeit someone of the opposite gender, people consider gay marriage "special rights".

Despite the fact that heteros would have the right to marry gays just as much as gays would.

It's a bad thought process, but that's the size of it.

This gets funnier & funnier.

Would you be ok with beastiality marriage as long as anybody could marry a goat?

Old 01-05-2010, 05:15 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,163,191 times
My view is, in the eyes of the law homosexuals should be treated exactly the same as everyone else. As for marriage? I don't know why the government even has to be giving out marriage stamps in the first place. If you want to get married, find a priest willing to do it, or get married by Elvis in Vegas.

3,567 posts, read 4,008,253 times
Quote:

You shoulda said that to the AA's fighting for their rights back a few decades ago. I highly doubt they would have accepted this ridiculous statement.

Gays can adopt kids, you know If it is so unimportant, why can't they marry then?
The statement "If you want to be gay" speaks volumes. When you're trying to hide your anti gay attitude, you gotta do it more carefully. You're pretty much failing.

Quote:
This gets funnier & funnier.

Would you be ok with beastiality marriage as long as anybody could marry a goat?
No, as animals do not have the ability to consent.

Same with children/pre-teens (but 15+ I've no problems with), and inanimate objects.

Poly marriage I've no problems with, however.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:16 PM

456 posts, read 806,745 times
In my opinion, the state should not have the right to say who can or cannot get married - if marriage is supposed to be a religious institution (Separation of church and state). States should be issuing "Domestic Partnership" or “Commitment” licenses. Under this idea, Churches can then perform whatever marriage they want as they would govern who can 'marry.' Homosexual and Heterosexual commitment ceremonies would be equal in the eyes of the law. However, would churches be willing to deal with the pressure to conform on homosexual marriage? Are heterosexuals prepared to have their state sanctioned "marriages" now deemed "Domestic Partner" or other vernacular? Interesting, huh?

Old 01-05-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Except gay couples can still have children.

Ever heard of surrogates? Adoption?
Pretty pathitic state of affairs that is too. Intentionally placing children into such a confusing situation just to placate homosexuals.

Quote:
And by your logic, we should ban all infertile people from getting married as well.
Um, no. People usually learn of infertility after trying to have kids. But as you noted they can adopt children into a NORMAL HEALTHY loving family.

Quote:
Marriage is an arcane idea, to be certain. WHich is why it should be abolished and civil unions should be in place for all. However, until such a thing, giving heteros marriage but not gays is discrimination, plain and simple.
Its only arcane if you have lost focus on the basic needs of a society to reproduce healthy offspring.

Letting same sex couples get married is discrimination, unless you will let ANY two people get married for any concievable reason.

Quote:
I fail to see how that makes all marriage meaningless.
No, you refuse to see it. You already explained how very clearly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or