U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Concern level:
Completely apathetic 42 30.22%
Little concern 13 9.35%
Moderately concerned 25 17.99%
Very Concerned 52 37.41%
Keeps me up at night 7 5.04%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 08:37 AM

5,230 posts, read 7,510,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I'm straight and I am fairly concerned. I don't think it is right to discriminate for something that some one can't help.

Where is the discrimination? What cant a gay person do that you can?
Should nature be sued because they cant have children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 08:40 AM

20,372 posts, read 13,899,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
Seems like the only people here who seem to bring up GLBT issues are the gay members, themselves (which is understandable). So, I was just curious about the level of genuine interest and concern for the inequalities that GLBT people face and the plight of GLBTs with regard to civil rights issues and the like.
Where are they not equal? Actually, with hate crimes legislation and affirmative action hiring laws, they are more then equal, they have more rights and protections.

Is this just another thread whining that if a man marries another man he should be treated by the government the same as a hetero couple?

Old 01-05-2010, 08:47 AM

5,230 posts, read 7,510,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Where are they not equal? Actually, with hate crimes legislation and affirmative action hiring laws, they are more then equal, they have more rights and protections.

Is this just another thread whining that if a man marries another man he should be treated by the government the same as a hetero couple?

Probably. How it came to be that a group needs SPECIAL treatment in order to feel EQUAL I dont know. Must be a liberal concept.......

Old 01-05-2010, 08:50 AM

10 posts, read 15,463 times
It is amazing to me how a neocon can worry about their religion as the camels nose under the tent of taking away their right but when it comes to someone elses rights they do not agree with screw them I don't care mentality is the order of the day. Let someone try to ban nascar and see how many tobacco chewing slim jim eating gun totin brain dead idiots come dunking tea bags comeout.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:14 AM

530 posts, read 685,623 times
I actually recieved a religious pamphlet in the mail yesterday that was explaining to me exactly how wrong it was to be homosexual................I am still unconvinced. I am straight but I believe PEOPLE should have the ability marry and get all the rights afforded them as a married couple to whomever they choose as a partner in life.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:15 AM

5,560 posts, read 4,980,944 times
Start a gay church and marry people.
Protected under the bill of rights and protection of religion.
Other then that I'm all for the government getting rid of all marriage benefits to begin with its unfair to single people who have to pay more in taxes, get no insurance and or other benefits.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:26 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,527,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I'm straight and I am fairly concerned. I don't think it is right to discriminate for something that some one can't help.
I can't help being too short to be a player in the NBA but I demand to be seen as an NBA caliber prospect!

Let's perform an experiment: place 100 hetero couples and 100 gay couples each on separate islands with no connection to the outside world. In 100 years let's pay each island a visit and see which population increased. There has never been a society ordered on the idea of homosexual marriage. The reason being marriage is first and foremost for procreation. Without extraordinary external measures gays cannot reproduce. Or in the buzzword so popular today: gay marriages are unsustainable. Civil unions are fine with me by the way. And I don't buy the separate but equal analogy because there is no equivalence between a married couple and a hetero couple united under a civil union. They are apples and oranges. As far as society is concerned hetero sexual marriage is infinitely more significant a state and worthy of higher status. But if in a 100 years the island with the gay couples has exceeded the hetero island in population growth I'd be open to revisiting the issue.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:32 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,510,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Probably. How it came to be that a group needs SPECIAL treatment in order to feel EQUAL I dont know.
I have always wondered this myself. Can somebody answer?

Why do heteros need special treatment in order to feel equal?

Old 01-05-2010, 09:36 AM

9,644 posts, read 8,620,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
I have always wondered this myself. Can somebody answer?

Why do heteros need special treatment in order to feel equal?
I dont believe they do.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:39 AM

7,450 posts, read 5,823,259 times
As long as heteros have certain privileges concerning marriage that homosexuals don't, it'll be discriminatory towards homosexuals.

The answer that makes the most sense to me is end gov't recognition of all marriages and have civil unions for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or