Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Concern level:
Completely apathetic 42 30.00%
Little concern 13 9.29%
Moderately concerned 25 17.86%
Very Concerned 53 37.86%
Keeps me up at night 7 5.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 10:00 AM

981 posts, read 805,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I answered "completely apathetic" as a heterosexual. However, those fighting AGAINST gay rights/equality cannot say the same. They care--I just can't understand WHY. It's not an issue that's going to affect me personally, so I can't be bothered to care. But I'm not opposed to it either.
Wow, that is pretty harsh. I guess, by that standard, I shouldn't care about issues that may explicitly affect heterosexuals, or affect others in terms of race or gender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 10:20 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,657,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Wrong. You can get married anywhere as long as it's to a member of the opposite sex. Your right is the same as mine.
Yes, but the states that offer same-sex marriage have even greater freedom and choices than the states that don't. Freedom and choice are good things, and I'd say it's anti-American to be against them.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:52 AM

153 posts, read 238,300 times
I don't know anyone who is gay. I don't care what they have/don't have.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:55 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Wrong. You can get married anywhere as long as it's to a member of the opposite sex. Your right is the same as mine.
You don't have the right to have a same sex marriage either. Nice try.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:11 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,351,681 times
I would have to say that I am in the middle here. I support them and I will do my part to help them get what they deserve, equal rights.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:19 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
A man "marrying" a man is surely immoral, as is a situation in which a child is raised by gay partners.
No it is not. What is immoral is heterosexuals and christians denying gays and lesbians the rights and privileges to marriage and at the same time enjoy divorce and remarriages. Heterosexuals also live together without marriage and raise kids without marriage. There should be nothing wrong with two men getting married or two women, which you neglected to mention. Using religion to determine rights for others is wrong. History proves that over and over which is why we have separation of church and state. Read up on European history and it will show that the Anglican church and the protestant church both tried their dominance and both churches made it a law that the only marriage that would be recognized would be that performed in their church. So when the protestants were in power everyone had to have their marriage performed in a protestant church, regardless of their religion. Every religion has this fantasy that theirs is the only one that is correct and all the rest are false believers as if their god, if there is one, is the correct god and everyone else is practicing idolatry. It is not the government that should stay out of marriage, but the churches. How would you like it if you purchased a marriage license and were told that it would not be legal in your church, but only in a christian church and you are not a christian or happen to not believe in god. Government issued marriage licenses are the only way to keep religion from interfering with each other and keep an even keel. If one believes in god, then keep it in your heart and out of the law books where it does not belong.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:21 PM

67 posts, read 151,400 times
heres what i don't understand about this whole issue. what difference does it make to a heterosexual person if his neighbor marries the same sex or not. does it make that person any less of a neighbor/friend just due to that. I'm willing to bet everyone against this issue knows at least one person who is part of the community and don't even realize it. Personally i welcome the day when all the people who point to some obscure verse in the bible get off their high horses and realize that most of their "holy" book is based off of what a minority decided to show the majority. if your only issue is because of the bible, maybe you should look at your life a little more. why on earth would you let a book that has had more editions that any other on earth run your life. no matter how carefully it is copied, you either get something added or deleted with each.
I say let em be happy. they aren't trying to force me to go around living my life by their standards, what right do i have to try to impose mine on them.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:36 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
ZERO ZIP NADDA.

Why should we be concerned about who they want their sex with? Keep it in the bedroom.
I can't believe your views are that simple. When you think of heterosexuals, does your mind also go straight to sex? Why can't you see homosexuals as multidimensional beings? They are people, with thoughts and feelings just like you. Also, just like you, they deserve to marry the people whom they love.

Last edited by ElizaTeal; 01-09-2010 at 03:59 PM..

Old 01-09-2010, 04:01 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Then the government should stop issuing marriage licenses to anyone.
Yeah, it's called a marriage license but it's really just a permit to swear a union. You can have a civil judge do that or your local preacher. Depends on how much you want to spend.

PurpleLove says...
Quote:
A lot of same-sex couples have issues in hospitals with the staff understanding they have the right to make medical decisions regarding their spouse's health but the staff just doesn't get it when they say, "We have a civil union." People know what being married is but civil union? You get looks like:
One might think that with them educated they'd be able to think that one thru.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:55 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoogemania View Post
I don't know anyone who is gay. I don't care what they have/don't have.
I bet you do but they are probably closeted for fear of being discriminated against by their 'friends and employers"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies