U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-26-2010, 07:31 PM
 
20,315 posts, read 9,826,841 times
Reputation: 4381

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
Is Obama absolved from all protections from Kenya and/or GB based on his fathers citizenship? Is he absolved from all protections from Indonesia?

Is he set free from any obligations to a foreign country?
dunno. if north korea declares draggingcanoe a citizen how does he absolve all the protections of north korea ?

 
Old 04-26-2010, 08:54 PM
 
66,240 posts, read 30,160,286 times
Reputation: 8607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
No, not "in other words." The step-father may have hoped Obama would grow up in the Muslim school and convert to the faith when he was of an age to do so. The fact that his mother pulled him out of that school in 1967 and sent him to live with his grandparents suggests she didn't want her 6 year old son to continue in that school.
Obama was registered in school as a Muslim, period, not as 'his dad hopes he will be Muslim someday.'

Quote:
You can be sure that his mother didn't fill out those school papers because women in the Muslim world would not have that kind of freedom. Men run the world, after all, and do all the important stuff like that.
Hmmm... Obama's mother had plenty of freedom in Indonesia. She worked as a development and microcredit consultant, and did fieldwork for her dissertation, Surviving Against the Odds: Village Industry in Indonesia.
 
Old 04-26-2010, 09:17 PM
 
66,240 posts, read 30,160,286 times
Reputation: 8607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Several presidents have been dual citizens. That has been documented on this thread.
That has been alleged, but not documented.

James Buchanan's father emigrated to the US in 1783. The US Constitution was adopted in 1787. At the time of the ratification of the Constitution, each citizen of a state was made a citizen of the United States, therefore, his parents were citizens of the US in 1787. He was born in Pennsylvania in 1791 to two US citizen parents, so was therefore a "natural born citizen".

Andrew Johnson's father was born in North Carolina.

Chester Arthur's lack of natural born citizen status was not known for sure until recently. It has lately been discovered that his father was a British subject who naturalized when Arthur was 14 years old. Arthur deliberately hid his past and destroyed his papers because he knew he had an ineligibility issue.
...Sound familiar?
 
Old 04-26-2010, 09:46 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,359 posts, read 7,720,840 times
Reputation: 7213
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Obama was registered in school as a Muslim, period, not as 'his dad hopes he will be Muslim someday.'
Step-father and you say he was registered as a Muslim like that's a bad thing. What difference does it make that a boy under six was exposed to a Muslim school education? Obama was not responsible for what was written on his school form. The form also says he was born in Hawaii.

Even if he had carried the Muslin religion into adulthood I, for one, would not have a problem with that. I always thought having a president who had been exposed to Eastern thinking gives us, as a nation, an edge in dealing with our problems in the Mid East.
 
Old 04-26-2010, 10:12 PM
 
66,240 posts, read 30,160,286 times
Reputation: 8607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Step-father and you say he was registered as a Muslim like that's a bad thing.
I don't think it's a bad thing, but apparently Obama does:
Obama Has Never Been A Muslim
Organizing for America | BarackObama.com
Quote:
Obama was not responsible for what was written on his school form. The form also says he was born in Hawaii.
...which could be just as false as Obama being a Muslim.

Quote:
Even if he had carried the Muslin religion into adulthood I, for one, would not have a problem with that.
Neither would I, but Obama was adamant in making sure everyone knew he was never a Muslim, as evidenced by his Organizing for America website linked above.
 
Old 04-26-2010, 10:17 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,887 posts, read 102,301,239 times
Reputation: 32946
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Chester Arthur's lack of natural born citizen status was not known for sure until recently. It has lately been discovered that his father was a British subject who naturalized when Arthur was 14 years old. Arthur deliberately hid his past and destroyed his papers because he knew he had an ineligibility issue.
...Sound familiar?
Like hell it just came to light recently. The rumors started during the Garfield/Arthur campaign.

Chester A. Arthur - encyclopedia article - Citizendium

During Chester Arthur's Vice-Presidential campaign alongside James A. Garfield, Arthur P. Hinman, an attorney who had apparently been hired by the members of the Democratic party, explored the "rumors that Arthur had been born in a foreign country, was not a natural-born citizen of the United States, and was thus, by the Constitution, ineligible for the vice-presidency."[1] When Hinman's initial claim of a birth in Ireland failed to gain traction, he maintained instead that Arthur was born in Canada and lobbied the press for support while searching for Arthur's birth records, eventually in vain. After Arthur had become President due to Garfield's assassination, Hinman published a pamphlet aimed to cast doubt on Arthur's presidential eligibility.[2]


Also, see this:

Barackryphal: Presidential/VP Candidates with Immigrant Parents*

My allowed two sentences:

Spiro Agnew (Vice-President, 1969-1973)
- Father was a Greek immigrant.

Hubert Humphrey (Vice-President, 1965-1969)
- Mother was a Norwegian immigrant.

Now I suppose you're going to tell me that Agnew's father, Humphrey's mother, and everyone else on this list became a citizen before their elected official children were born.

Special note:

Charles Curtis (Vice-President, 1929-1933)
- Mother was a Native American.


And was not eligible for citizenship at the time of his birth.

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/today/jun02.html

On June 2, 1924, Congress enacted the Indian Citizenship Act, which granted citizenship to all Native Americans born in the U.S. The right to vote, however, was governed by state law; until 1957, some states barred Native Americans from voting.
.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 04-26-2010 at 10:25 PM..
 
Old 04-26-2010, 10:43 PM
 
66,240 posts, read 30,160,286 times
Reputation: 8607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Like hell it just came to light recently. The rumors started during the Garfield/Arthur campaign.
Rumors? Yes. More specific facts? Recent.

Quote:
Also, see this:

Barackryphal: Presidential/VP Candidates with Immigrant Parents*

My allowed two sentences:

Spiro Agnew (Vice-President, 1969-1973)
- Father was a Greek immigrant.

Hubert Humphrey (Vice-President, 1965-1969)
- Mother was a Norwegian immigrant.

Now I suppose you're going to tell me that Agnew's father, Humphrey's mother, and everyone else on this list became a citizen before their elected official children were born.
Were their children born with dual citizenship?
 
Old 04-26-2010, 10:44 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,359 posts, read 7,720,840 times
Reputation: 7213
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I don't think it's a bad thing, but apparently Obama does:
Obama Has Never Been A Muslim
Organizing for America | BarackObama.com

...which could be just as false as Obama being a Muslim.


Neither would I, but Obama was adamant in making sure everyone knew he was never a Muslim, as evidenced by his Organizing for America website linked above.
Again, studying a religion as a child does not necessarily constitute BEING that religion. Many religions---including some denominations of Christianity---require a person to be of an certain age where they can understand what they are vowing to before they become a part of that religion. Preschoolers cannot convert to Islam. Therefore since there is no proof that Obama ever studied in a Muslim community again after coming back to the states, he is telling the truth when he says he's never been Muslim regardless of those four years in a Muslim grade school.
 
Old 04-26-2010, 10:46 PM
 
66,240 posts, read 30,160,286 times
Reputation: 8607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Again, studying a religion as a child does not necessarily constitute BEING that religion. Many religions---including some denominations of Christianity---require a person to be of an certain age where they can understand what they are vowing to before they become a part of that religion. Preschoolers cannot convert to Islam. Therefore since there is no proof that Obama ever studied in a Muslim community again after coming back to the states, he is telling the truth when he says he's never been Muslim regardless of those four years in a Muslim grade school.
So what's listed on Obama's Indonesian school registration is false, right?
 
Old 04-26-2010, 10:48 PM
 
20,315 posts, read 9,826,841 times
Reputation: 4381
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Chester Arthur's lack of natural born citizen status was not known for sure until recently.
really ? exactly who released and when was released this before unknown ( or unconfirmed ) information "recently" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top