Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 08:09 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,253,414 times

Advertisements

You figure a term as "going off the wall" would actually be somewhere researchable, as in passing on someone's blog mentioning what you are talking about.

Yet it only returns 10 results on Google, and nothing about West Point or "wanting" to commit or committing suicide.

BTW, my brother is a West Point graduate (4 years ago); and he's never heard the term "going off the wall"

Old 06-30-2010, 06:23 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,644,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
You figure a term as "going off the wall" would actually be somewhere researchable, as in passing on someone's blog mentioning what you are talking about.

Yet it only returns 10 results on Google, and nothing about West Point or "wanting" to commit or committing suicide.

BTW, my brother is a West Point graduate (4 years ago); and he's never heard the term "going off the wall"
He doesn't have a PhD after his name, didn't work there for 40 years and doesn't know what is said in the office, my brother was in there with them. That is how it was described if you didn't want to say the word.
Also your brother is a recent cadet.
My brother is retired.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:56 AM

20,893 posts, read 16,030,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
My brother worked there for 40 years and treated the ones who wanted to "go off of the wall" so go lay down and rest.
You remain hopelessly confused. The phrase "go off the wall" is not used today at West Point as a euphemism for suicide. It was not used as one 30 years ago either. I have polled no small number of my classmates over the last day on this issue. Not a single one of them has ever heard the phrase.

Cadet slang has such a long and respective tradition that it's even formally recorded in an annual publication called "Bugle Notes." Most of it has been unchanged for more than a century. This may have been what your brother called it... so you can blame him for misleading you.

But you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Give you brother greetings from an "old grad." The wartime classes (like your brother's) are held in great respect by us old timers. Beat Navy!

Old 06-30-2010, 08:37 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,644,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
You remain hopelessly confused. The phrase "go off the wall" is not used today at West Point as a euphemism for suicide. It was not used as one 30 years ago either. I have polled no small number of my classmates over the last day on this issue. Not a single one of them has ever heard the phrase.

Cadet slang has such a long and respective tradition that it's even formally recorded in an annual publication called "Bugle Notes." Most of it has been unchanged for more than a century. This may have been what your brother called it... so you can blame him for misleading you.

But you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
I am not going to argue with you about this, you can spend all of your time trying to prove me wrong but evidently are not in touch with what goes on in a Doctors office OR in touch with people who had these thoughts.
I seriously doubt that a means of suicide is going to be in "Bugle Notes" lol, really, its not.
I stood by "the wall" and looked down. Nobody is going to come over it or go over it when they want to sneak out after taps.
Think back to the highest building with room to stand and maybe that is the right "wall" to climb over and jump.
Maybe you have to be a Dr to understand the term. I am a Dr's sister, that is what it was called by Dr and patient.
You are misinformed and I know exactly what I am talking about.
End of conversation.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I am not going to argue with you about this, you can spend all of your time trying to prove me wrong but evidently are not in touch with what goes on in a Doctors office OR in touch with people who had these thoughts.
Maggie... a civilian staff psychologist has no more authority over what is or is not Cadet slang than a waiter in the mess hall.

Again... you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie
I seriously doubt that a means of suicide is going to be in "Bugle Notes" lol, really, its not.
I repeat. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Quote:
I stood by "the wall" and looked down. Nobody is going to come over it or go over it when they want to sneak out after taps.
And I have been to the Eiffel Tower. That doesn't mean I know how to speak French.

Quote:
Think back to the highest building with room to stand and maybe that is the right "wall" to climb over and jump.
That would be jumping off a building, not going off a wall.

Quote:
Maybe you have to be a Dr to understand the term. I am a Dr's sister, that is what it was called by Dr and patient.
And neither of you are West Pointers. So your frantic back pedaling here might be your excuse for being wrong. But you are still wrong.

Quote:
Sorry. No. You don't.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:24 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,345,034 times
Quote:
End of conversation.
I am a nuclear physicist's wife, so I can build a bomb.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:26 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,385,909 times
At this point in time I would think that most would hope to dump this fool out of office on any grounds.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:54 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,642,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I am a nuclear physicist's wife, so I can build a bomb.
The analogy doesn't work.

You can only tell us some of the terms he uses. He is the one who can do the building.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:09 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,277,255 times
Quote:
He doesn't have a PhD after his name, didn't work there for 40 years and doesn't know what is said in the office, my brother was in there with them. That is how it was described if you didn't want to say the word.
Also your brother is a recent cadet.
My brother is retired.
Seems very unprofessional for your brother to be using an euphemism like 'going off the wall.'

To get back to the thread topic, does anyone know what happened to the captain who refused orders because he wanted Obama to produce a birth certificate first? Is his court marital trial over yet?

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 07-01-2010 at 07:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies