U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 01:06 PM

7,987 posts, read 11,198,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Gee "one postive news story" - which ONE is that?:

Is it that number of jobs cuts has dropped dramatically from nearly 700,000 in January of LAST year to 11,000 or so in November?

Or is it that the unemployment rate dropped from 10.2% in October to 10% in November?

Or is it that home prices have stablized and are rising in much of the country?

Or is it that factory orders are UP for several months in a row?

Or is it that US exports are UP?

Or is it that Consumer Sentiment is UP?

Or is it that Holidays sales are UP from last year?

Or is it that overall car sales are UP from last year?

Or is it that the stock market has been roaring the last 9 months?

Or is it that the LEI are up?

Tell me, which ONE is it?

Ken
Or is that unemployment was less than 8% when Obama took office and it is now 10%?

Or is it that home foreclosures set a record high in 2009?

Or is it that the dollar is currently weak?

Or is it that the US is in debt at an all time high?

Or is it average home prices tanked this year?

Or is it that the stock market is still lower than its high in early 2008?

Or is it that numerous retailers continue to struggle with a barely noticeable increase in sales this holiday season.

Or is it simply, the Obambi spinmasters.....out to tell us all the world is square when we all know it is round?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 01:16 PM

19,868 posts, read 22,722,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Or is that unemployment was less than 8% when Obama took office and it is now 10%?
And was climbing when he entered office but is now falling.

Quote:
Or is it that home foreclosures set a record high in 2009?

Quote:
Or is it that the dollar is currently weak?
As it was a full year before he entered office.

Quote:
Or is it that the US is in debt at an all time high?
As it was at an all time high when he entered office.

Quote:
Or is it average home prices tanked this year?
As they were tanking for 3 years before he entered office.

Quote:
Or is it that the stock market is still lower than its high in early 2008?
And ALL of that decline occured under the previous Administration.

Quote:
Or is it that numerous retailers continue to struggle with a barely noticeable increase in sales this holiday season.
As opposed to the REALLY NOTICEABLE decline in sales before he came into office.
Quote:

Or is it simply, the Obambi spinmasters.....out to tell us all the world is square when we all know it is round?
I think it's just that they tell you what you don't want to hear.

Ken

Old 01-05-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:

As it was a full year before he entered office.

As it was at an all time high when he entered office.

As they were tanking for 2 years before he entered office.

And ALL of that decline occured under the previous Administration.

As opposed to the REALLY NOTICEABLE decline in sales before he came into office.

I think it's just that they tell you what you don't want to hear.

Ken
LMAO!!!! You are funny. Since numbers were bad under a previous failed president, your logic is that it is OK for numbers to get worse under this current president!
Hysterical!!!!!!!!!!!!
You do understand that Obama was elected to create positive change, not negative change....right?
- 8% percent unemployment when he took office to 10% now is a negative change.
- Record debt when took office to go into even hire record setting debt is negative change.
- Record setting home foreclosures to go even higher once he took office into new record setting foreclosures is a negative change!

Obama is some change alright. 100% negative change!

Old 01-05-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
LMAO!!!! You are funny. Since numbers were bad under a previous failed president, your logic is that it is OK for numbers to get worse under this current president!
Hysterical!!!!!!!!!!!!
You do understand that Obama was elected to create positive change, not negative change....right?
- 8% percent unemployment when he took office to 10% now is a negative change.
- Record debt when took office to go into even hire record setting debt is negative change.
- Record setting home foreclosures to go even higher once he took office into new record setting foreclosures is a negative change!

Obama is some change alright. 100% negative change!
Hey, in YOUR OWN WORDS the previous President was a "FAILED PRESIDENT". He was in fact, such an utter failure that the extent of the damage he caused is still being felt TODAY. Sadly it will take a while for that damage to be undone. And that's a fact.

The good news is - we're on way towards doing so.

Ken

Old 01-05-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Hey, in YOUR OWN WORDS the previous President was a "FAILED PRESIDENT". He was in fact, such an utter failure that the extent of the damage he caused is still being felt TODAY. Sadly it will take a while for that damage to be undone. And that's a fact.

The good news is - we're on way towards doing so.

Ken
Yep, I've agreed with you on this before. I was no Bush fan at all. He failed. BUT, you don't take failure and take it to a new high level of failure, which is what Obama has done. Obama has had a year to improve things and done nothing.....unemployment is now HIGHER and foreclosures are at a record HIGH under Obama's flitty pretend leadership.

If one person fails, the next person in the job is expected to turn things around. In this case, Bush failed and now Obama is a double failure. Sad. From one failure to an even worse failure.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Also interesting that the people who actually put their money where there mouth is, seem to looking forward to good things. Ah, but maybe they are just in denial.
I know I put MY money where my mouth is - and my 401K is now at an all time high (even aside from the new money I put in) - and all those Obamabasher out there could have done the same if they had put aside their political bias and LOOKED INSTEAD at the data. It was clear to me back in April that the market was starting a very big move up - so I jumped on it. And I have been handsomely rewarded for that decision - regaining EVERYTHING I lost under the last year and half of "Junior" and moving solidly back into the black.

Ken

Old 01-05-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Yep, I've agreed with you on this before. I was no Bush fan at all. He failed. BUT, you don't take failure and take it to a new high level of failure, which is what Obama has done. Obama has had a year to improve things and done nothing.....unemployment is now HIGHER and foreclosures are at a record HIGH under Obama's flitty pretend leadership.

If one person fails, the next person in the job is expected to turn things around. In this case, Bush failed and now Obama is a double failure. Sad. From one failure to an even worse failure.
Again, HOW LONG did it take Reagan to bring unemployment back down? It took more than 2 YEARS to even get it to peak. It takes a while to reverse all that inertia - and that's just the WAY it is.

To expect ANYONE to do anything more is utterly naive, ignorant and foolish. If you were being honest with yourself you would KNOW this to be true (whether you are Democrat, a Republican or and Independent).

Ken

Old 01-05-2010, 01:48 PM

22,243 posts, read 15,265,325 times
Quote:
I know I put MY money where my mouth is - and my 401K is now at an all time high (even aside from the new money I put in) - and all those Obamabasher out there could have done the same if they had put aside their political bias and LOOKED INSTEAD at the data. It was clear to me back in April that the market was starting a very big move up - so I jumped on it. And I have been handsomely rewarded for that decision - regaining EVERYTHING I lost under the last year and half of "Junior" and moving solidly back into the black.

Ken
Ditto, but not as heavily as I should have. I was a victim of the fear and uncertainty somewhat, but never the less, the stocks that I held, have come back substantially and recent limited additions are doing well. In hindsight, which is always more accurate, I should have had more faith in Obama's initiatives.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Of course you don't buy it. He's a realist looking at all the trends, you're a delusional optimist cherry picking news stories. Never expected you'd agree with him. A lot of high profile people do though. Anyways, I think his credentials dwarf yours.
As this guys' dwarf yours (and he's just one of many (many of whom were pretty negative previously)?

"U.S. economic growth as measured by real gross domestic product will top 5 percent in 2010 and the unemployment rate will fall below 9 percent, longtime Wall Street strategist Byron Wien said on Monday.

Wien, who correctly called the commodities rally and rebound in China in 2009, said in his "Ten Surprises for 2010" on Monday he expected exports, inventory building and technology spending to lead economic growth
."

Blackstone's Wien: US Real GDP Will Top 5% in 2009 - CNBC (http://www.cnbc.com/id/34711441 - broken link)

So you posted a link to a "economic Bear"? So what? Opinions are ALL OVER the place. What counts is what's been happening - and that is mostly GOOD NEWS. Many numbers that previous have been VERY NEGATIVE (housing foreclosures, layoff, etc) are becoming less solidly negative. Many other numbers that were NEGATIVE have started to turn positive (factory orders, consumer confidence, etc). Overall everything that was collapsing has either slowed that collapse dramatically or completely reversed the collapse. Those things that have completely reversed their collapse are definitely GOOD NEWS, while those that have slowed their collapse are very likely to reflect GOOD NEWS very soon.

And ALL of that is GOOD NEWS.

Ken

Old 01-05-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Ditto, but not as heavily as I should have. I was a victim of the fear and uncertainty somewhat, but never the less, the stocks that I held, have come back substantially and recent limited additions are doing well. In hindsight, which is always more accurate, I should have had more faith in Obama's initiatives.
Some of it is Obama's doing, some of it is the last few things Bush did before heading off into retirement (ie, the bailouts, TARP etc - some of the FEW things he actually did right), and some of it is simply the result of a natural correction of the overraction to all the bad news at the end of 2008. Don't get me wrong things were VERY VERY BAD at the end of 2008 - but the fact is, the PANIC made things even worse than they were. Now that that panic is subsiding, some things are bouncing back naturally.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies