U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 07:13 PM

19,891 posts, read 16,279,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Then who is he influencing? And why?

I am not sure what your question is. But I think your original premise has been completely debunked and it is time to move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 07:16 PM

10,864 posts, read 11,908,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
Some of my friends who work in radio have explained that its 14-20 million listeners per week, not per day. This also includes listeners who tune in on a daily basis, as they get counted 5 times.

So the actual number of UNIQUE individual listeners is nothing in the 14-20 million range.
Yes. Nobody tunes into his show. How is he even still on the air?

Quote:
From 2000 through the year Limbaugh’s contract with Clear Channel’s Primere Radio Networks paid $285 million. In 2008 he entered into a new contract, this one paying him $400 million over an eight-year period. That amounts to $50 million dollars a year, or about $136,986 a day. Limbaugh’s is the biggest contract the radio business has seen since Howard Stern’s $500 million contract with Sirius Satellite Radio. It’s pretty fair if you consider that Limbaugh’s weekly audience of 20 million represents a bit shy of 10% of overall radio listeners.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:21 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,772,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I am not sure what your question is. But I think your original premise has been completely debunked and it is time to move on.
What's been debunked? He has lousy ratings. It's a fact. Even if he has 20 mill listeners, divide that by 600 stations. It's awful.

If Rush were to run for any national political office, he would be toast. Same with Beck. They influence a very small group of people. The sad part is that 20 million people think what an ENTERTAINER says is gospel.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:25 PM

10,864 posts, read 11,908,345 times
Quote:
What's been debunked? He has lousy ratings. It's a fact. Even if he has 20 mill listeners, divide that by 600 stations. It's awful.

If Rush were to run for any national political office, he would be toast. Same with Beck. They influence a very small group of people. The sad part is that 20 million people think what an ENTERTAINER says is gospel.
He's as insignificant as Palin yet we have thread after thread about them here in CD weekly. Odd.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:33 PM

6,162 posts, read 11,211,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Don't need to. I read other media about so called guru's and make up my mind. He's a radio talk show guy just like Cramer is a TV guy.

If these guys were as good as they say they are they wouldn't be collecting media salaries now, would they ?

Just like the get rich quick schemes these guys sell books for..if the scheme were so good they wouldn't need to sell books now would they ?

Simple logic and a bit of reading is all it takes.
So you think Rush isn't worth listening to because he only makes $34 million per year to say what it is he has to say? You think he ought to be collecting what sort of salary, doing something else?

Old 01-05-2010, 07:35 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,311,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
So you think Rush isn't worth listening to because he only makes $34 million per year to say what it is he has to say? You think he ought to be collecting what sort of salary, doing something else?
I don't care how much he makes. You think if someone makes a high salary they are, by default, an important person to listen to ?

Old 01-05-2010, 07:47 PM

6,162 posts, read 11,211,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I don't care how much he makes. You think if someone makes a high salary they are, by default, an important person to listen to ?
Not at all. But you said that if he were really good, he wouldn't be collecting just a media salary. I'm pointing out that he "only" makes $34 million (perhaps more) and wondering what it is you think he could be doing to earn more.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:

I debunked your assertion his is not #1 in any market and I proved he is influential.

Awful ratings compared to what? If he is #1 in the largest markets that is pretty good ratings. Please list any other broadcasters who have an equal audience.

Some very influential politicians believe he is influential.

Article - Evri

"The left, broadly speaking, has been attacking conservative talk radio and all it allegedly represents for the better part of 20 years now. When Bill Clinton needed a convenient villain, he attacked Rush Limbaugh."

You are continuing in the proud tradition of Democrats. When you are getting plastered create a diversion.

Last edited by shorebaby; 01-05-2010 at 08:21 PM..

Old 01-05-2010, 08:07 PM

4,831 posts, read 6,180,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
It's hard to believe that someone who is paid 34 million dollars a year to talk on the radio only has 14-20 million listeners.

WikiAnswers - How much does Rush Limbaugh make per year
Limbaugh 34 million a year, Obama ? Well I know who I would rather be.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
...and can only get 14-20 million listeners? That's a God-awful average. I will go out on a limb (not much of a limb) and say he is not #1 in any of those 600 stations. Not too influential if you ask me.

Some more evidence to assist the clueless.

List of most-listened-to radio programs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Current top programs in the United States
Talkers Magazine compiles Arbitron's data, along with other sources, to estimate the minimum weekly audiences of various commercial long-form talk radio shows. The most recent results, from September, 9, 2009 are as follows:Yes pathetic ratings. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies