U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 02:25 PM

10,720 posts, read 17,390,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Do you only listen/watch programs with which you agree on everything?

I watch Fox, and I don't agree with everything, nor do I expect them to mirror all my views in order to favor them with my time and attention.
Do you read the National Enquirer and Star? I expect a certain level of professionalism regardless of the news source. I defended Fox in the past because I felt they were unfairly being labeled by the White House as being tabloid-like because they were willing to criticize the administration. I would hold equal contempt for a person of any faith that made similar comments that belittled Christianity. Hume crossed the line. This was not journalism. This was religious proselytizing. I'm sorry you can't recognize the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 02:26 PM

13,153 posts, read 17,372,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Did he have to use the word "MUST" to convey that concept because I certainly received the impression he was saying Tiger needed to turn to Christianity. Hume is also a journalist and it is his job to research his opinions. Hume also suggested he knows little about Buddhism but that didn't stop him from judging it as a faith. Making an uneducated and uninformed opinion regarding Buddhism shows his lack of professionalism.
There is no equal to Christ. It's an easy call to say that, but only if you're standing on the right side of that decision fence where you can see that. There is merit in other religions, but there is no equal.

I agree with Brit. Tiger, if he wants total forgiveness, the slate wiped clean, and spiritual restoration, he must have a conversion for that to happen. Those who take that step know beyond a shadow of a doubt of what I speak. The rest will feel their hackles rising.

Brit stated what he believes, and he stated it respectfully and thoughtfully, without judging or condemning.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
There is no equal to Christ. It's an easy call to say that, but only if you're standing on the right side of that decision fence where you can see that. There is merit in other religions, but there is no equal.
The people who make comments like this are those who are not educated about other faiths. In my experience, the only Christians who make ignorant comments like this are Evangenicals who merely repeat what their pastor or Sunday school teacher tell them regarding other faiths and how "they aren't the truth" This is very Taliban-like.

Hume was judgmental by judging Buddhism, a faith he knows little about.

Evangelicals claim they believe in separation of Church and State which is an American value yet they somehow are okay when a professional journalist on a major media source starts discussing religion and judging other faiths. This is just proof that Evangelicals are the American Taliban. Hume is a hero to them because he is pro-Christianity! That's the way they see things. For us true Americans and non-Evangelicals, we try to keep religion out of politics and separate church and state.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:42 PM

71,683 posts, read 83,244,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Did he have to use the word "MUST" to convey that concept because I certainly received the impression he was saying Tiger needed to turn to Christianity. Hume is also a journalist and it is his job to research his opinions. Hume also suggested he knows little about Buddhism but that didn't stop him from judging it as a faith. Making an uneducated and uninformed opinion regarding Buddhism shows his lack of professionalism.
you know I have to admit, I was dishing dinner up so only got a bit of it and wasn't totally consentrating on what was said, but I didn't take it quite that way...Anyway, i have to say, I watch many programs I do not totally agree with..I am a big watcher of O'Reilly but certainly do not agree with his views on many things..I also think he is arrogant, but I still like the program...I think it is important for us to realize Hume was giving an opinion not reporting news at the time. Had it been a news story that would be different..

Nita

Old 01-06-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Word of advice: when you profess ignorance about a topic (as you did about Jesus) don't go on to demonstrate that ignorance by expounding at length about something you know virtually nothing about.
Word of advice, Christians are not all alike and view Christianity differently. Evangelicals like yourself interpret the Bible literally and fundamentally hence the reason you disagreed with that poster's comments. It doesn't mean that poster doesn't understand Christianity.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I thnik most people thnik their religion is the true belief;just as aethist think those people are fools for beleiving. He has perfect right to his belief and those who think he doesn't are the dangerous people IMO.
Spoken like a true Evangelical! Not all Christians believe their faith is the one truth faith. Most Christians are respectful of other faiths and practice Christianity as their vehicle to attaining the truth or appreciating something that is bigger or beyond us. Hindus and Buddhists certainly don't believe their path is the one truth path and that other faiths are going to hell. There are fundamentalists like Evangelicals/Born Again Christians, the Taliban and other conservative religious groups that do believe other religions are wrong but to pretend that all other religions share that same perspective is not true.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:48 PM

15,091 posts, read 13,735,200 times
Quote:

The reaction is not because they're insecure. That is the last thing that we are. I think it's that we're sick of the bashing and some are finally standing up to it.

"Scrutinized"? Why scrutinize it at all unless one is interested in learning more?
So its okay for Christians to bash homosexuals and or those of different faiths, yet Christianity should not be open to criticism? (I'm not saying ALL Christians are like this, however there are enough out there who do this.) It is perfectly fine for you to stand up for your beliefs, but just be aware that there are people out there who disagree with you.

And one of the reasons why it is scrutinized is because some of us have cracked open a Bible and read up on the history of the religion. But one doesn't even have to do that to realize how arrogant and bigoted some Christians are. Just listen to the words that come out of their mouths.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you know I have to admit, I was dishing dinner up so only got a bit of it and wasn't totally consentrating on what was said, but I didn't take it quite that way...Anyway, i have to say, I watch many programs I do not totally agree with..I am a big watcher of O'Reilly but certainly do not agree with his views on many things..I also think he is arrogant, but I still like the program...I think it is important for us to realize Hume was giving an opinion not reporting news at the time. Had it been a news story that would be different..

Nita
I respectfully disagree. Fox crossed a line. I'm a centrist Republican who watches Fox and can certainly appreciate a conservative view but this was religious proselytizing by one of its journalists. There is no place for that in a respectable news source regardless if they are liberal or conservative. Not all conservative Americans are Christians. If I want to listen to Evangelical proselytizing, I will watch the 700 Club. And to be honest, I think you are being a little disingenuous. If the tables were flipped and a Muslim made the same comments regarding a Christian, I very seriously doubt you would be okay with that

Old 01-06-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
I had a chance to see, and hear, all of the sound bites and video concerning the whole Brit Hume matter...

I don't have a problem with Christians, Christianity, people uttering the Lord's name (LOL...as many times as I may have taken it in vain), etc...

Where I DO have a problem, is that a 'senior political analyst' on a major cable network, took it upon himself to offer a 'faith-based' solution to someone else's problems on TV, and took a swipe at that person's (professed/alleged) faith to boot---and that shouldn't have been his call...

If I, or anyone else, wants to come to the Christian faith, then we should be able to do so of our own accord, with an open mind and heart, without being told that we're 'godless' or that we're going to hell because we don't cut the crust off our tuna-fish sandwiches, or wear white after Labor Day...

In short, don't try to shove your faith down my throat, and then get mad when you trigger my gag reflex
Well said

Old 01-06-2010, 03:11 PM

20,836 posts, read 39,052,603 times
Brit Hume's remarks are an embarrassment to the nation. On a REAL network he would have been fired by now.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies