Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:09 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
I had a chance to see, and hear, all of the sound bites and video concerning the whole Brit Hume matter...

I don't have a problem with Christians, Christianity, people uttering the Lord's name (LOL...as many times as I may have taken it in vain), etc...

Where I DO have a problem, is that a 'senior political analyst' on a major cable network, took it upon himself to offer a 'faith-based' solution to someone else's problems on TV, and took a swipe at that person's (professed/alleged) faith to boot---and that shouldn't have been his call...

If I, or anyone else, wants to come to the Christian faith, then we should be able to do so of our own accord, with an open mind and heart, without being told that we're 'godless' or that we're going to hell because we don't cut the crust off our tuna-fish sandwiches, or wear white after Labor Day...

In short, don't try to shove your faith down my throat, and then get mad when you trigger my gag reflex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 10:15 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I don't think he is saying that at all. I think he was pointing out that the Christian faith, through Jesus, offers forgiveness to sinners whereas the same may not be true in the Buddist faith.

I really don't think anything was inferred as far as "superiority" by Hume but rather a pointing out the "differences". Those who were offended, in my opinion, are being silly and likely get offended whenever Christianity is mentioned in public.

Where Tiger gets his forgiveness, and whether he is forgiven, is really between Tiger, his wife, and his children, IMO. None of us has any influence on spirtual forgiveness so the whole part of making a mountain out of a mole hill on Hume's remarks are just silly.
Who's making a mountain out of it?

What I'm saying essentially is that Brit Hume embarrassed himself and his network in the eyes of anyone who is not a christian. If Fox wants laughing stock status outside of the christian community, this is the way to go.

Their call....freedom of speech..and all that.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:20 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
You got to love the Evangelicalist Christians. You can do any sin or crime and as long as you let some minister hear your public confession, use you as a example to bring others into the fold, then you can go on your merry way and all is well in the world. Hume isn't concerned about Tiger's soul. He wants to see him used to advance his spin on Christianity.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Today he had the audacity to act like Christians are such big victims and played the sad puppy role on O'Reilly today. He was shocked over outrage because he said on air "my religion is superior to yours".
so what? We can all believe what we want about our religion. I doubt it is going to change many minds....I wasn't impressed or unimpressed with him last night. I can't be bothered worrying about things like this..

For those who are still saying things like "who cares what Fox has to say"? must care or they would make those statements. Of course most who do watch Fox at all realized these people, making such statements never have even had it on or not for more than a couple of minutes. They just jump in with no idea what is really going on. Oh well, to each his own.

Nita

Last edited by nmnita; 01-06-2010 at 10:49 AM..

Old 01-06-2010, 10:53 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,492,508 times
I've watched this video a couple of times now and have carefully considered it. By way of disclosure, I am Christian, but not an evangelical.

I do believe that Brit Hume was sincere in his statements, and intended to help, but was overly "preachy". It was expressed as an opinion, and it seemed that the others in the discussion were a bit flustered with Hume's statement.

As for Tiger, I do believe that he does need to get in touch with his spiritual side. When in trouble, or even when not, it does help to be in touch with one's spirituality. If Buddhism isn't offering him what he needs right now, Tiger-and only Tiger-should consider a different path-with Christianity being one of the options as Jesus is most forgiving. Whatever faith that gives Tiger the inner peace in his soul is the direction he should follow. It really is between Tiger and his personal concept of God, and no one else's. (However, I must admit that some Christians do not follow Christ's example on forgiveness, as they remain judgemental and I'm trying not to be overly judgemental of them.)

I will pray for the healing of Tiger's family at this very difficult time.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:59 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Word of advice: when you profess ignorance about a topic (as you did about Jesus) don't go on to demonstrate that ignorance by expounding at length about something you know virtually nothing about.
Ok, I know a lot about xianity.
It's the hypocrisy.
Most professed xians I know are the most hateful, judgmental people I've met.

Better?

Old 01-06-2010, 11:10 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
I had a chance to see, and hear, all of the sound bites and video concerning the whole Brit Hume matter...

Where I DO have a problem, is that a 'senior political analyst' on a major cable network, took it upon himself to offer a 'faith-based' solution to someone else's problems on TV, and took a swipe at that person's (professed/alleged) faith to boot---and that shouldn't have been his call...

If I, or anyone else, wants to come to the Christian faith, then we should be able to do so of our own accord, with an open mind and heart, without being told that we're 'godless' or that we're going to hell because we don't cut the crust off our tuna-fish sandwiches, or wear white after Labor Day...

In short, don't try to shove your faith down my throat, and then get mad when you trigger my gag reflex
You had a chance to hear all of the sound bites and videos, yet you complain somebody is "shoving" their faith down your throat and making you gag. Don't you have an off button on your TV that you could have used before the gag reflex kicked in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Ok, I know a lot about xianity.
It's the hypocrisy.
Most professed xians I know are the most hateful, judgmental people I've met. Better?
Indeed. Got a mirror?

Old 01-06-2010, 11:12 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Don't need one, have xians willing to point fingers at everyone else around.
But never themselves.

Do tell me where my hypocrisy might be?

Old 01-06-2010, 12:07 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
Christianity is 'better' than Buddhism. It's better than all other religions in that Christianity offers salvation and ever lasting life. It also provides for free will. Anyone may choose not to accept the Christ as their Saviour but in doing so they forsake salvation. It's an easy choice really.
Well that's your opinion. But Buddhists tend to be more peaceful and less judgemental than Christians, so I'll take them more seriously.

Hume basically was saying Christianity is better than Buddhism. I don't doubt Hume's sincerity, but I think Tiger needs to sort out his own personal life without everyone injecting their opinions as to how he should handle it. The story has run its course. Time to move on.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:24 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
This kind of commentary has no place on a program touted to be "news". I have never been a fan of Brit Hume, but after seeing this it will be very difficult to take seriously anything he says.

It is a matter of continued frustration to me that conservatives continue to shoot themselves in the foot and aid the political standing of the left by taking this seriously.
That is exactly my feeling as well. The man has the right to say whatever he wants, however, he was not on the 700 Club when he said it.
He needs to man-up and admit that he was wrong to raise this issue in that context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies