Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 12:26 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
That is exactly my feeling as well. The man has the right to say whatever he wants, however, he was not on the 700 Club when he said it.
He needs to man-up and admit that he was wrong to raise this issue in that context.
Why? Why was he wrong to simply raise an issue? If you don't like it, turn the dial, change the channel. Better yet, buy your own broadcasting network and direct it the way you see fit.

I think the far left needs to "man-up" and admit their intolerance of Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 12:34 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,493,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Ok, I know a lot about xianity.
It's the hypocrisy.
Most professed xians I know are the most hateful, judgmental people I've met.

Better?
I've got to challenge you on this one. Yes, some Christians are hateful, judgemental people, just like some NON Christians are hateful, judgmental.

However, just because you've encountered some Christians that are judgmental, it doesn't mean that all are so. I've encountered them too, and they and their rigid ideas kept me needlessly away from Christianity. I'm a Christian today, never thought I would be, and try not to judge others. The Bible also tells us not to judge, as we did not make the Lord's law, we as sinners don't get to judge other sinners. Paraphrasing quite a bit here, but that's the general idea.

Please do not lump all Christians together. We don't deserve it.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:37 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Why? Why was he wrong to simply raise an issue? If you don't like it, turn the dial, change the channel. Better yet, buy your own broadcasting network and direct it the way you see fit.

I think the far left needs to "man-up" and admit their intolerance of Christians.
I don't know, many Libs like to snivel and beat around the bush when it comes to their predjudices (and try to point out everything wrong with it and what could go wrong with us "Christers", or any other issue for that matter, while being unable to take criticism themselves), especially when it comes to Christianity.

However many liberals are Christians and I salute them.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:49 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:

And I think the right needs to stop making assumptions.
I have no intolerance of Christians - I am a Christian, an ordained Elder in my church. His statement was extremely judgemental and it trivialized the redemption offered by faith in Christ Jesus, as if it is something that can be selected at an all-you-can-eat buffet.

An excellent counter-point to Mr. Hume can be found here at about 3.18 minutes in:

Countdown with Keith Olbermann Countdown with Keith Olbermann

Old 01-06-2010, 12:56 PM

146 posts, read 149,490 times
This thread speaks volumes. Once again Christianity is attacked. One poster even said how bad it was for Brit to go on TV and bash another religion...Are you freaking serious? How many times have the MSNBC crowd gone on air and said something inflamatory about Christianity? What did BO say on the campaign trail about people clinging to their Bibles? What a double standard this country is. Bash Christianity, but defend ALL other religions, even go as far as to say that Isalm is a peaceful religion after a muslim father runs his daughter down with his car as an "honor killing". What a disgraceful example of American humanity.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:27 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortified View Post
This thread speaks volumes. Once again Christianity is attacked. One poster even said how bad it was for Brit to go on TV and bash another religion...Are you freaking serious? How many times have the MSNBC crowd gone on air and said something inflamatory about Christianity? What did BO say on the campaign trail about people clinging to their Bibles? What a double standard this country is. Bash Christianity, but defend ALL other religions, even go as far as to say that Isalm is a peaceful religion after a muslim father runs his daughter down with his car as an "honor killing". What a disgraceful example of American humanity.
Your proving Keith's point as to how defensive Christians get when their people or religion is criticized. The way they react when their religion is criticized just shows their insecurity.

Also, the reason why Christianity gets scrutinized in this country is because it is the predominant religion.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:31 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:

can't rep you, have to spread it around, but my feelings exactly.Just don't watch for heaven's sake...Not that most of the libs really watch what people like Bret are saying anyway...

Nita

Old 01-06-2010, 01:47 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
I've got to challenge you on this one. Yes, some Christians are hateful, judgemental people, just like some NON Christians are hateful, judgmental.

However, just because you've encountered some Christians that are judgmental, it doesn't mean that all are so. I've encountered them too, and they and their rigid ideas kept me needlessly away from Christianity. I'm a Christian today, never thought I would be, and try not to judge others. The Bible also tells us not to judge, as we did not make the Lord's law, we as sinners don't get to judge other sinners. Paraphrasing quite a bit here, but that's the general idea.

Please do not lump all Christians together. We don't deserve it.
Fair enough.
Although you're a rarity, at least on CD.
In my life, religion never comes up, even with my xian friends.
They know it's a personal matter and they treat it as such.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:49 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
And I think the right needs to stop making assumptions.
I have no intolerance of Christians - I am a Christian, an ordained Elder in my church. His statement was extremely judgemental and it trivialized the redemption offered by faith in Christ Jesus, as if it is something that can be selected at an all-you-can-eat buffet.
Perhaps I misunderstand what you are saying, but it is, indeed a buffet of religions that the world spreads before us, and Christianity is among them. One can select it or not. This does not trivialize it at all. It makes it equally available and accessible to everyone, instead of having it pushed to the sidelines. Christ does not pick us. We pick HIM, of our free will. If you think Brit's statement was "extremely judgemental" then you also think that sharing the Gospel is judgemental?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Your proving Keith's point as to how defensive Christians get when their people or religion is criticized. The way they react when their religion is criticized just shows their insecurity.

Also, the reason why Christianity gets scrutinized in this country is because it is the predominant religion.
The reaction is not because they're insecure. That is the last thing that we are. I think it's that we're sick of the bashing and some are finally standing up to it.

"Scrutinized"? Why scrutinize it at all unless one is interested in learning more?

Old 01-06-2010, 01:50 PM

146 posts, read 149,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post

I am not proving anything, pointing out a fact. The fact of the dishonorable double standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies