Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 11:54 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,844,267 times

Advertisements

This is to both sides

How are we ever going to solve the problems of this country if the adults of this country are not able to talk to each other as adults?

Shouldnt we as adults be able to talk and reach agreements for both sides? We do have to share this country. I doubt either side is going to just give up and leave.

Shouldnt we be honest before we demand politicians be honest. If a member of our party does something wrong shouldnt we be honest about that and call them on that and demand better? Should someone really have to make an excuse like " oh they are politicians they all lie" for people we pay to represent us in gov. Dont know about you but if I lied to my boss over and over again I would be fired why isnt it the same for dc

Why cant a group of adults talk to each other without the names that are said that we all know are meant to be insults or to discredit the other group.

Will we always agree heck no but we can as adults come to agreements that will work for both sides. Marriages do it everyday. Its about compromise and getting along.

We talk about how rich people get better justice in this country then poor people because we dont have the millions to hire the top notch lawyer to get us off. Well that is DC they are the rich that doesnt have to live by the same standards we do and we allow that. Let us not pay our taxes do you think we get off so easy?

Why cant we be adults and talk to each other how we would like to be talked to?

Do we ever put this country before a political party? Do we ever stop acting like this is a contest that we have to win? This isnt a contest its our future our life our liberty, our freedom our lives not a tit for tat contest

My mission is to get the citizens of this country to wake up and stop putting a letter before the well being of this country. You arent always right we cant all be right. There will be times that we as adults will be wrong about something. But we have to be open to listening and talking and solving problems. We cant just be I am right its my way or no way all the time. You have to give some to get some in life.

Ok I wont keep going you all get the point what say ye

This isnt meant to be an attack thread but a coming together thread and trying to solve problems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 12:06 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,860,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
See you are part of the problem also. Do you think someone is going to be open to listening after you say that?

Sorry Its not meant as an attack on you really its not but darn it this petty back and forth has to stop.
I think your post is very well intenioned and wish I knew the answer. Unfortunately, I don't see an answer. When you have elected officials in Washington simply wanting to push legislation on the citizens with no talk, what can you really do?

Talk is only good when those talking are guided by an internal moral compass and truely understand the word "truth". Truth has lost all meaning (most don't understand the value known as truth), and in the process, words have simply become words. It is a sad state for humans worldwide.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
sweeper27's response indicates the relative level of adults to impetuous children in this debate.

Jadex - there are very few adults around because the society and economy prefers children that think with their emotions because they will always buy the latest political or Wal-Mart junk.
Sorry I dont buy that.

We are capable or thinking for ourselves and we have control of our choices. We can make the choice to talk to each other with respect

I think we have the opportunity to make the real change in this country and that is coming together and actually demanding the most basic things from our gov but in order to do that we have to be adults and come out of that what I say is a coma for a political party.

Thank you for being civil

Oh yeah I agree we have to stop with the having to have the latest junk from walmart. That is part of whats gotten us in this problem To many not living within their means.

If you need a credit card to buy a dress or whatever you dont really need that dress.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I think your post is very well intenioned and wish I knew the answer. Unfortunately, I don't see an answer. When you have elected officials in Washington simply wanting to push legislation on the citizens with no talk, what can you really do?

Talk is only good when those talking are guided by an internal moral compass and truely understand the word "truth". Truth has lost all meaning (most don't understand the value known as truth), and in the process, words have simply become words. It is a sad state for humans worldwide.
We cant control them.

We can only control ourselves and I believe before you can ask someone else to do something you must be willing to do it yourself. So the citizens have to wake up and come to realize we cant keep going the way we are with how its going in DC

I believe we as adults know the meaning of truth it might be hard for some to actually admit certain things but deep down inside they know they are making excuses or not being honest but for thats been the status quo for so long its become a habit

Plus I think we have come to settle for this is how it works. This is the as good as it gets

It doesnt have to be it can be the real change is that the citizen of this country come together and be adults with each other.

We have the chance on boards like this one to be talking and trying to agree on things but instead we use it to have tit for tat contest about who is right and who is wrong.

Shouldnt we be using it has a place to come together and make the real change

Old 01-06-2010, 12:17 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
This is no talking to people who think you are evil and they will give their last ounce of breath to oppose you.

It doesn't matter if you are their neighbor and working toward the same goals.

People just plug their ears and scream.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:18 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,455,514 times
My issue though is, why do people try to make everyone else agree with them? We don't have to agree. We're not going to agree. We are all shaped over the course of our lives by our own individual experiences and the people who influenced us. Therefore, we are not all coming from the same place when we embark on a debate. I like to listen to all sides of an argument before I make a determination, but I admit to having my own perspective shaped from 40 yrs of life on this planet in this body at this time so that will color my beliefs.

But you're right about the partisan nature of politics, and that's one of the reasons I hate it. For example, I have a mother in law who is a hard core conservative. She believes Obama wasn't born in the US; she believes there is a grand conspiracy in place to take over the country; she believes Sarah Palin is the second coming and she is a big fan of the Tea Party movement. I don't, my husband - her son, doesn't. So why is it that she is always the one who brings it up and tried to get us to agree with her? I don't try to convert her thinking, why should she try to convert mine? She is entitled to believe whatever she wants as am I. It's virtually impossible to have a rational conversation about politics because it gets people heated to the core.

The only chance for "real" change in this country is a full on revolution and I don't see that happening right now.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:18 PM

146 posts, read 149,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
We cant control them.

We can only control ourselves and I believe before you can ask someone else to do something you must be willing to do it yourself. So the citizens have to wake up and come to realize we cant keep going the way we are with how its going in DC

I believe we as adults know the meaning of truth it might be hard for some to actually admit certain things but deep down inside they know they are making excuses or not being honest but for thats been the status quo for so long its become a habit

Plus I think we have come to settle for this is how it works. This is the as good as it gets

It doesnt have to be it can be the real change is that the citizen of this country come together and be adults with each other.

We have the chance on boards like this one to be talking and trying to agree on things but instead we use it to have tit for tat contest about who is right and who is wrong.

Shouldnt we be using it has a place to come together and make the real change
You need to go out in the real world and interact with real people and do real things. Not a single problem can be solved on an internet forum.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:22 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,455,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
This is no talking to people who think you are evil and they will give their last ounce of breath to oppose you.

It doesn't matter if you are their neighbor and working toward the same goals.

People just plug their ears and scream.
Then there's that - absolutely 100% valid point.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortified View Post
You need to go out in the real world and interact with real people and do real things. Not a single problem can be solved on an internet forum.
Really OMG say it aint so

heck why are any of us here? Why do we even get on the net but to get a message out? hmmmm

So lets just not be civil to each other

Last edited by Jadex; 01-06-2010 at 12:56 PM..

Old 01-06-2010, 12:52 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,108,334 times
It's just an internet forum. Don't take it so seriously. The vast majority of people posting here have completely different personalities in real life than they do on this forum. Most will be less aggressive about arguing their position, and more open to alternate views. There will, of course, be a few that aren't, though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies